Disappointing day, but after careful consideration...

eball

...I've come to the conclusion there are simply no great teams out there -- and the Pats*** are unfortunately the closest thing to being one because of their HC and QB.

Every team has strengths and flaws, and can look great one week and lousy the next. There are some truly bad teams, but the majority of the league are Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde ballclubs. Yesterday the Bills performed about as poorly as they could on offense and defense, yet still almost won. With a couple of their injured players back the game probably goes differently.

I don't have high expectations for the remainder of the season -- they'll be significant underdogs in the next three -- but if some players get healthy it could get interesting.

I can't place blame on Tyrod for yesterday's loss -- he really did have to try to do everything himself while playing with 4th and 5th string WRs and what looked like a 75% Shady. I think ALynn called his worst game by far.

Defensively there were about 3-4 plays that absolutely killed us, although there is never an excuse for allowing a 200 yard rusher. In the 4th quarter I think being on the field so much finally wore them down.

Overall, though, I go back to my first point. There are no great teams. The Bills have the potential to defeat -- or lose to -- anyone remaining on their schedule.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The offensive and defensive lines got bullied yesterday. Rex wanted to build a bully? He should look at what Miami did to us. Their OL were constantly on our LBs, and our OL was constantly beat by their DL. Just awful.

The best way to being a consistent team is to win up front and we got our ass kicked yesterday.

Tyrod gets a blame of course but so do the other 10 guys on the field with him.

I personally love Tyrod. Would it be great to have a Brady or an Andrew Luck or an Aaron Rodgers at QB for us? Sure. But after ALL the QBs we've had in the last 10 years, Tyrod is one i can stand having.

He brings a threat with his legs and can actually make throws.

The playcalling was too simple yesterday and Tyrod had to tell Oleary and someone else where to position themselves during pre snap. These things let me know that Tyrod knows the playbook and the others don't.

The way Tyrod doesn't back down from anybody is another characteristic i love about him. When he ran to the opposing team's sidelines and someone said something to him, he didn't back down. He's a fighter and i like that.

I can't recall this team throwing even ONE screen pass this year. Goes back to playcalling. No screen passes, no slant routes and hardle ANY playaction since our version of the playaction usually comes from the shotgun position.

We need more I-formation playaction and runs to keep the defense honest. But, I'm not an NFL coach so what do i know.

All i know is, when i watch other teams play offense in the league, they seem to have an identity on offense. When i watch the Bills, it's usually ok so will the running back run it or will Tyrod?

We gotta switch it up. All training camp i been reading Astros notes saying OVER THE MIDDLE this and OVER THE MIDDLE that. It seemed to work in practice but yet on Sundays it's never the case.

Idk man. It's a disappointing Monday but I'm not just gonna hand the Pats a victory.

So on that note, let's go boys. Get a good week of preparation and let's put on a show on Sunday.

Edited by HuSeYiN_NYC

Tyrod gets a blame of course but so do the other 10 guys on the field with him.

I personally love Tyrod. Would it be great to have a Brady or an Andrew Luck or an Aaron Rodgers at QB for us? Sure. But after ALL the QBs we've had in the last 10 years, Tyrod is one i can stand having.

He brings a threat with his legs and can actually make throws.

The playcalling was too simple yesterday and Tyrod had to tell Oleary and someone else where to position themselves during pre snap. These things let me know that Tyrod knows the playbook and the others don't.

The way Tyrod doesn't back down from anybody is another characteristic i love about him. When he ran to the opposing team's sidelines and someone said something to him, he didn't back down. He's a fighter and i like that.

I can't recall this team throwing even ONE screen pass this year. Goes back to playcalling. No screen passes, no slant routes and hardle ANY playaction since our version of the playaction usually comes from the shotgun position.

We need more I-formation playaction and runs to keep the defense honest. But, I'm not an NFL coach so what do i know.

All i know is, when i watch other teams play offense in the league, they seem to have an identity on offense. When i watch the Bills, it's usually ok so will the running back run it or will Tyrod?

We gotta switch it up. All training camp i been reading Astros notes saying OVER THE MIDDLE this and OVER THE MIDDLE that. It seemed to work in practice but yet on Sundays it's never the case.

Idk man. It's a disappointing Sunday but I'm not just gonna hand the Pats a victory.

So on that note, let's go boys. Get a good week of preparation and let's put on a show on Sunday.

There was at least 2 screens, I know one late was poorly set up.

Slants there was Slants (a lot of them) including one that Tyrod just made a bad throw to Goodwin (would have been a good gain with an accurate throw).

Over the Middle, well Practice and Games are Different, Tyrod will thow them in practice, wont even look anywhere near them in the game.

Just to recap, the point of this thread isn't to rehash why the Bills lost yesterday -- it's to discuss my observation that there are no great teams and it truly is an "any given Sunday" league.

Ok so then just look at it as, on any given Sunday if the Bills playcalling on offense can get better, we won't have a split personality and your thread can continue.

;)

The offensive and defensive lines got bullied yesterday. Rex wanted to build a bully? He should look at what Miami did to us. Their OL were constantly on our LBs, and our OL was constantly beat by their DL. Just awful.

The best way to being a consistent team is to win up front and we got our ass kicked yesterday.

Agreed.

While I don't think Tyrod played a great game (despite what PFF says), I don't think we can lay the blame at his feet either.

We lost for a number of reasons: we were out-coached on both sides of the ball, our 3 top WRs didn't play, our star RB was hurt, our OL played poorly, our DL and LBs played poorly, and we were missing our best defensive lineman...

And for all that, we only lost by 3 points.

If we were entirely healthy, I think we would have won. But we weren't - that's life in the NFL - and with tough games against the Pats and Hawks coming up, this defeat really sucks.

Edited by hondo in seattle

...I've come to the conclusion there are simply no great teams out there -- and the Pats*** are unfortunately the closest thing to being one because of their HC and QB.

Every team has strengths and flaws, and can look great one week and lousy the next. There are some truly bad teams, but the majority of the league are Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde ballclubs. Yesterday the Bills performed about as poorly as they could on offense and defense, yet still almost won. With a couple of their injured players back the game probably goes differently.

I don't have high expectations for the remainder of the season -- they'll be significant underdogs in the next three -- but if some players get healthy it could get interesting.

I can't place blame on Tyrod for yesterday's loss -- he really did have to try to do everything himself while playing with 4th and 5th string WRs and what looked like a 75% Shady. I think ALynn called his worst game by far.

Defensively there were about 3-4 plays that absolutely killed us, although there is never an excuse for allowing a 200 yard rusher. In the 4th quarter I think being on the field so much finally wore them down.

Overall, though, I go back to my first point. There are no great teams. The Bills have the potential to defeat -- or lose to -- anyone remaining on their schedule.

I agree. The Pats are the closest thing to a complete team this year. Every other team has glaring weaknesses and question marks:

Seattle - Russel Wilson is playing hurt and it shows. They're struggling to put up points and are not the same team we've seen the last two seasons. They continue to win (or not lose) by the narrowest margins.

Minnesota - Their offense is garbage and they just lost to a rookie QB and an up and down Iggles team.

Denver - See Minnesota. Great defense(not as good as last year) but they turn the ball over on offense and who knows where their points are coming from week to week.

Picksburgh - Big Ben is hurt, mounting injuries (suspensions) at skill positions and their defense is weak. Even prior to Big Ben's injury they were crushed by the Iggles 34 - 3.

Dallas - Starting a rookie at QB and winning. Lets see how Dak finishes the season with more film out there. They have impressive wins against Cinci and Packers but there are major question marks surrounding both of those teams.

Atlanta - Softest team in the league. Just lost to an underrated San Diego team who normally finds ways to lose. They have elected not to play defense again this year.

Oakland - They play about as much defense as Atlanta and have squeaked by some pretty average teams in shootouts. They're one or two plays away from being the Chargers.

Iggles - Playing tough D but they're starting a rookie QB who is coming back down to earth lately. Impressive win vs the Vike but not so impressive losses to the Skins and Lions who have been up and down all year.

Green Bay - Rodgers has not looked like himself this year. They're now starting WRs and Kansas City's 10th string RB due to injuries.

The Rest - I have no idea what to think of NYG, the Skins, the Lions, the Phins who are coming alive, the Chiefs who are turning it around, the Chargers who were never as bad as their record, the Bungles who are wildly inconsistent, and the Bills who looked tough before injuries and faltering in Miami.

The AFC South - Its just horrible but someone has to win it I suppose.

The NFC South - Also horrible except for the feather soft Falcons.

As was said on Sirius today - EVERY team loses sometimes, even really good ones! Minny, who looked great got beat in all three phases of the game - does that mean they're suddenly terrible, or had a bad game? Your call...

I'm not throwing in the towel on the Pats game until the final whistle!

Let's clean up the mess that was yesterday and get back at it!!

Not much different this year compared to others. Always been an "on any Given Sunday" League.

True. But I think this year more than so than in past seasons, less separates the middle of the pack from the top. The only team I see that looks capable of winning out and marching to a super bowl is New England.

Cleveland, Chicago, San Fran are clear cut losers. I am still having problems believing that Carolina is as bad as their record. After that, I don't see many teams that represent a de facto bye week.

Edited by Jauronimo

Just to recap, the point of this thread isn't to rehash why the Bills lost yesterday -- it's to discuss my observation that there are no great teams and it truly is an "any given Sunday" league.

If the alternative is to allow big city teams to buy up every all-pro free agent to make a handful of super teams, while small market teams fight for the leftovers, I'll stick with the 'Any Given Sunday' league.

In my mind what's really causing NFL mediocrity is the numerous injuries. Every so often you hear the theory that today's players work out so much and get their body's so muscular that they damage their body's natural resiliency to recover from the physical rigor of playing football. I'd think that if most of the players out there currently sidelined with injuries were playing instead the games would benefit.