How Bills and Cowboys are running over rest of NFL

YoloinOhio

The Cowboys and Bills have two of the best offenses in the league thanks to blocking schemes that leave opponents bruised and confused.

http://www.sbnation.com/2016/10/21/13331750/cowboys-offensive-line-bills-blocking-ezekiel-elliott-lesean-mccoy

Written by OL Geoff Schwartz - good read

Edited by YoloinOhio

@SBNationNFL

The Bills and Cowboys offenses are running all over the NFL. Here’s how: http://www.sbnation.com/2016/10/21/13331750/cowboys-offensive-line-bills-blocking-ezekiel-elliott-lesean-mccoy

Running the ball isn’t easy. With all the physicality involved, the run game at its core is a ballet. A violent ballet. We have an assignment, a technique to be executed and we must make adjustments on the fly. So when everything goes as planned, it’s a beauty.

The running game is also a complimentary piece of the passing game. Big passes are often a result of a play action fake, which works best when the run game is viable. My goal here is to enlighten y’all to the ins and outs of the run game and how they can give the offense easy chuck pass plays.

Before I get to how the Cowboys stormed into Lambeau and dominated the previously No. 1 ranked Green Bay run defense, I want to start with the Buffalo Bills. They are riding a four-game streak largely due to the rebound in their run game. On Sunday, against the 49ers, they rushed for 313 yards on 44 carries, for an average of 7.1 yards per rush.

Here are two run plays that are perfectly schemed up by the coaches and beautifully executed by the Bills offense.

DimwittedGreatBat.gif

A thing of beauty. :cry:

The Cowboys and Bills have two of the best offenses in the league thanks to blocking schemes that leave opponents bruised and confused.

http://www.sbnation.com/2016/10/21/13331750/cowboys-offensive-line-bills-blocking-ezekiel-elliott-lesean-mccoy

Written by OL Geoff Schwartz - good read

Always fun to get good press, especially from someone who has some credibility. Nice to get mentioned alongside the Dallas OL, too. They are legit.

Here's what worries me.

Roman, a flawed OC for sure, is said to be a master of designing running plays. I'm guessing the plays Shady is running were all drawn up by Roman.

From what I've seen and heard, Lynn's success has come because (1) he has the team learn/practice/run a more limited number of plays thus improving execution, and (2) he might be a better play-caller than Roman.

But without Roman to design these running plays, will our rushing attack eventually falter without him?

Always fun to get good press, especially from someone who has some credibility. Nice to get mentioned alongside the Dallas OL, too. They are legit.

Dallas OL isn't doing anything special, they are just really talented. They beat you because they are better than you.

The Bills blocking scheme is really pretty complicated. Greg Roman deserves credit for that. Can't call a game very well, but I love his run blocking scheme.

Edited by TheTruthHurts

Here's what worries me.

Roman, a flawed OC for sure, is said to be a master of designing running plays. I'm guessing the plays Shady is running were all drawn up by Roman.

From what I've seen and heard, Lynn's success has come because (1) he has the team learn/practice/run a more limited number of plays thus improving execution, and (2) he might be a better play-caller than Roman.

But without Roman to design these running plays, will our rushing attack eventually falter without him?

There are literally hundreds of plays in the playbook already designed, as well as variations of them. Between Lynn and Kromer, who have been coaching a long time, they will not run out. Edited by Kelly the Dog

There are literally hundreds of plays in the playbook already designed, as well as variations of them. Between Lynn and Kromer, who have been coaching a long time, they will not run out.

In fact Kromer was the run game coordinator when new Orleans was actually good at running the ball and had an excellent OL (that was mostly mid and late round picks at both RB an OL outside Reggie)

Edited by NoSaint

Here's what worries me.

Roman's run scheme is said to be very complex and effective. Hopefully Lynn having worked under Roman last season and this season can emulate the running schemes/plays effectively enough. Whatever he is doing the team has bought in and is executing it.

Ask any Olineman what he enjoys most and he'll tell you it's getting the chance to impose his will on defenders when run blocking. Nothing demoralizes a defense more than getting their ass handed to them play after play after play. Totally wears them out.

I am not a fan of Kromer personally, but I have to tip my hat to him and Lynn for some of the creative blocking schemes they devise. We are very good at mixing up our run action looks. If we ever master the play action game, look out. But I'm not sure our coaches trust TT to turn his back to the defense at the moment.