(OT) Question about the term "African American"

OnTheRocks

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

There was something in the news around here about a student applying for an "African-American" scholarship. He was born in Africa and moved here, hence African-American. The only problem was that he was white, and whoever chooses the winner said that he was ineligible. It's when stuff like this happens that you realize how stupid the labels are that we give everyone.

This post is not intended to offend anyone....however in our over sensitive country... for whatever reason, it is bound to touch a nerve on someone.

SO, if you are offended......me sorry.

If a black person is born and raised in the United States of America....and is called "African American"....

What is a black person born and raised in Africa called?

I am guessing just plain "African"...right?

Ok....what do you call a white person born and raised in Africa?

I suppose they would be "African"?

Or are they referred to as "Anglo Africans"?

251525[/snapback]

Ask Teresi Henz

Most black people are happy just being black.  myself included ;)

251556[/snapback]

My wife is light skinned black girl and she is OK with being called black or chocolate swirl when we get kinky ;) Our kids look white. You would never know but I want them to realize their mixed and learn as much as they can about both races and be proud.

There was something in the news around here about a student applying for an "African-American" scholarship. He was born in Africa and moved here, hence African-American. The only problem was that he was white, and whoever chooses the winner said that he was ineligible. It's when stuff like this happens that you realize how stupid the labels are that we give everyone.

251691[/snapback]

the label "african american" is better than the labels that used to be used.

can you imagin what would happen if i walked up to a guy at work and said:

"those coloreds are destroying this town."

that sounds horrable. ;)

but if you say, "the lower income african american populace in the surounding area will stead the depreciation of the nearby buisness centers".

that sounds so much better. ;)

but in the end even using educated language cant hid some people's racism. and the labels we use every day may not tell others your true beliefs.

i use the terms that others tell me to, becuase i dont want to offend anyone. 100 years ago, the term "colored" was the appropriate term. now its "african american". thats fine with me. and in a few years when they change it to something else, ill use that terminology.

and in the cases of real africans coming to america, they will have to accept the fact that the term "african american" means something diffrent to the people of america.

didnt you see that real world where the guy from europe, or some small piss ant country over their :I starred in Brokeback Mountain: , came to america, went on the show, and started telling "racist " jokes in front of a "african american" cast member?? and couldnt see why she was PISSED!!!! :(

also: what does native american mean?? indians (thats a bad name), or "redskins" (thats a bad name too, but we put that on professional sports teams :D ), or someone born in america????

terms change over time. and you have to look at the context and times they are used in.