Black Mirror (modern Twilight Zone) new season on Netflix

If you liked The Twilight Zone, especially the ones speculating about potentially umcomfortable futures just a few years off from ours, you might like Black Mirror. Every episode stands on its own in a different future. You can dive in anywhere but you might as well start at the beginning. If the first episode subject matter is too tough (and it's by the far the toughest), pick another one.

Old episode trailer.

New Season trailer:

Episode 3, The Entire History of You, is probably the most representative of the series.

The first Ep with the Prime Minister was as you said, thought provoking, but deeply disturbing. Not sure how many people would opt for more after it. The second episode was my least favorite by far. After that, it found its pacing. The first episode of the new season, and there's no reason not to watch out of order, is really good as well.

• 4 weeks later...

Episode 3, The Entire History of You, is probably the most representative of the series.

The first Ep with the Prime Minister was as you said, thought provoking, but deeply disturbing. Not sure how many people would opt for more after it. The second episode was my least favorite by far. After that, it found its pacing. The first episode of the new season, and there's no reason not to watch out of order, is really good as well.

Just got back to it and watched the 2nd episode. If that is the worst episode then I'm looking forward to the rest of the show. It was depressing but it sure resonated.

Watched episode 3 and while it was good, I spent half the damn show trying to remember where I knew the chick from. It was a Netflix show which I liked called Broadchurch. It was driving me crazy. I should have paused and done the IMDB right then.

That device would cause those problems with every single person on the planet. Jealousy, self doubt, spying, etc. would rampage through society a lot faster than the episode depicted.

Watched episode 3 and while it was good, I spent half the damn show trying to remember where I knew the chick from. It was a Netflix show which I liked called Broadchurch. It was driving me crazy. I should have paused and done the IMDB right then.

That device would cause those problems with every single person on the planet. Jealousy, self doubt, spying, etc. would rampage through society a lot faster than the episode depicted.

Trick is, that device is not some long ways off. It's just about here and it will work just like shown.

Trick is, that device is not some long ways off. It's just about here and it will work just like shown.

I don't know how far off but I agree it isn't too far. The storage/quality/retrieval technology is already there. I'm not sure about the connection to optic nerves and such, but you could almost do it without a true connection. A reasonable proximity to the eye with the little camera and ear with a mic would do it. Playback with an eyeball seems too costly to be desirable at least in phase 1. Somewhere between a GoPro and that show will certainly be happening soon. When everyone has one like portrayed in the show is when the trouble will start. At least after enough data has built up. Truman Show for everyone on the planet.

From the show....even if the chick and her old fling hadn't started up again, you'd have people getting jealous of previous relationships on a much larger scale than what happens today because playback makes it seem in the now. You'd also have people living on the edge because any relationship....love, business, transactional, car accident, embarrassing moment, will live forever and people will not like that. Whether you believe in God or not, we are built to only partially remember things. If we remembered all detail of our own everything, it would drive us crazy. If we could see all detail of everyone's everything, we'd either vegetate by just watching....Real Housewives * 100000000.......or we'd fill with rage.

It was definitely a cool episode. 3 for 3 for me so far.

I don't know how far off but I agree it isn't too far. The storage/quality/retrieval technology is already there. I'm not sure about the connection to optic nerves and such, but you could almost do it without a true connection. A reasonable proximity to the eye with the little camera and ear with a mic would do it. Playback with an eyeball seems too costly to be desirable at least in phase 1. Somewhere between a GoPro and that show will certainly be happening soon. When everyone has one like portrayed in the show is when the trouble will start. At least after enough data has built up. Truman Show for everyone on the planet.

It was definitely a cool episode. 3 for 3 for me so far.

Google glass can already do this, albiet in a clunkier fashion.

From Google Glass to Google Contacts is not a big leap.

And from there to optical insert is also not big.

Connecting to optic nerve to record visial data is probably further out.

Watched S1E1.

If I hadnt read this and the What Show To Start threads, I would not have known about it. I also would have given up after the first episode, but I'll finish S1 before deciding on S2-S3

S1E1 is so brutal that I bet it ruined many to the show. The concept was really good and execution flawless but ugh.

S1E2 was my least favorite.

Google glass can already do this, albiet in a clunkier fashion.

From Google Glass to Google Contacts is not a big leap.

And from there to optical insert is also not big.

Connecting to optic nerve to record visial data is probably further out.

S1E1 is so brutal that I bet it ruined many to the show. The concept was really good and execution flawless but ugh.

S1E2 was my least favorite.

I thought s1e2 was pretty good. It was a little drawn out but the message was on the money IMO.

Just saw the one with Jon Hamm. I thought it was awesome. I know he is famous but I only knew him from "The Town". He was really good, the other guy was really good too. I actually figured out a little of it

that the kid wasn't his, that is why she blocked him and that he was in a cookie simulation but that part took a while. I knew it would be something like that when he heard the noise that Hamm did not...or at least acted like he didn't.

but even so, I found it to be a great story.

I thought the episode called White Bear had the best beginning and worst middle/end of the series so far. Way too easy to figure that one out.

Edited by 4merper4mer

SPOILER ALERT!!!!

Hello All,

After reading this thread a couple weeks ago I just blazed through the first three seasons. I have a few questions:

1) First, how is 3 episodes considered a season?

2) In S1 E1 "The National Anthem", what is the explanation of why the kidnapper kills himself? Is it he just assumes he'll be caught?

3) In S3 E6 "Hated in the Nation", how did the newer agent "catch" the rogue murderer? I know the broadcasted testimony, about the agents apparent suicide was probably falsified. But how would that lead to them catching/tracking him?

Overall, I liked the show. Hope they get more seasons soon.

Edited by IslandBillsFan

Hello All,

After reading this thread a couple weeks ago I just blazed through the first three seasons. I have a few questions:

1) First, how is 3 episodes considered a season?

2) In S1 E1 "The National Anthem", what is the explanation of why the kidnapper kills himself? Is it he just assumes he'll be caught?

3) In S3 E6 "Hated in the Nation", how did the newer agent "catch" the rogue murderer? I know the broadcasted testimony, about the agents apparent suicide was probably falsified. But how would that lead to them catching/tracking him?

Overall, I liked the show. Hope they get more seasons soon.

Geez dude how about spoiler alerts for people that haven't watched everything yet.