Extra points

4merper4mer

When combined with the relatively new 2 point conversion, the long extra point seems weird to me. Under the old system, you could fake an extra point and go for 2. You can still do that but realistically it is too far. It takes a little something away.

But here's the thing....a lot of long XP's get missed. If you want the 1 point, why not just fake a 2 point conversion and kick from short instead?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Because that's now it works. That's not how any of this works.

If you elect to go for one, you have to go for one. If you go for two, you have to go for two. Faking it isn't allowed on either type of XP try under the present-day rules.

Or how about never punting? Like the HS coach in Arkansas: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2669417-meet-kevin-kelley-the-coach-who-never-punts

This thing and the always go for two thing are valid points and interesting arguments, but this thread isn't really about that.

I'm just saying make the 1 pointer easier by faking a 2 pointer so it would be a shorter kick.

The other way, faking a 1 pointer and going for two, is unrealistic because of the distance but it would certainly add the element of surprise.

I'm just saying make the 1 pointer easier by faking a 2 pointer so it would be a shorter kick.

The other way, faking a 1 pointer and going for two, is unrealistic because of the distance but it would certainly add the element of surprise.

And which bit of the "isn't allowed in today's rules" didn't you get?

And which bit of the "isn't allowed in today's rules" didn't you get?

Makes no sense. What are they going to do? Call illegal formation? Even if they do, take the 5 yards. The kick is still shorter. If NE had Carpenter you know this would have already happened.

But that's not my point. For example The Bills beat the hapless GoldDiggers by 40 point or so. That was WAAAAY more than what they needed to win the game. Why can't we save some of them for use in other games when we need to score more to get a win? That makes a lot more cents to me.

I was mistaken in part of my answer earlier in this thread. It is legal to fake a 1-point try and attempt to score two points. But it is indeed illegal to start at the 3-yard line and attempt to kick for 1 point.

Makes no sense. What are they going to do? Call illegal formation? Even if they do, take the 5 yards. The kick is still shorter. If NE had Carpenter you know this would have already happened.

They will simply rule the 2 point conversion "no good". If you are attempting a 2 point conversion you must get the ball in the endzone. Kicking it through the uprights does not do that. Therefore the conversion is no good.

They will simply rule the 2 point conversion "no good". If you are attempting a 2 point conversion you must get the ball in the endzone. Kicking it through the uprights does not do that. Therefore the conversion is no good.

How do you figure? The ball crosses the goal line, either way.

OK right. Like when they stopped NE from using those the illegal substitutions against Baltimore? That's never gonna happen.