Mario Williams - Reduced to being a backup

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/football/dolphins-mario-williams-a-backup-as-he-prepares-to-face/article_5dfc4a09-1205-53d3-9b5b-866df110380f.html

Last week, Mario was relegated to backup duties and only had 13 snaps in the game. Has this guy given up or are his physical skills done?

A combination of the two.

Unreal. I never understand why such gifted athletes don't have a burning desire to compete. Derrick Coleman could have been the GOAT, but he was likely the laziest baller ever. Mario is the same way. He coulda, woulda, shoulda been Bruce Smith, but he just doesn't have the drive. I would have killed to have that kind of athletic ability.

Unreal. I never understand why such gifted athletes don't have a burning desire to compete. Derrick Coleman could have been the GOAT, but he was likely the laziest baller ever. Mario is the same way. He coulda, woulda, shoulda been Bruce Smith, but he just doesn't have the drive. I would have killed to have that kind of athletic ability.

A lot of these guys don't love the sport they play, and only continue to play because of the financial incentives.

Mario is probably one of those guys, and will likely be retired soon.

Edited by TakeYouToTasker

he's the same age as Willie Young and younger than Lorax so we can't blame age

Like I said, it's a combination.

I don't think Mario has ever been passionate about football, but when he was younger his immense natural ability was able to carry him to a near elite level without requiring drive.

Now that he's aging, and his natural athletic ability is in decline, his lack of drive is showing itself.

It seems he's doing a Haynesworth as Haynesworth quit playing once he was asked to be a NT in a 3-4 defense. Mariocre quit playing once Rex asked him to drop back in coverage.

According to the article: http://www.theplayerstribune.com/albert-haynesworth-letter-to-my-younger-self/, Haynewsworth was stunned when Shanny told him to just take up space and not rush the QB. He was told flat out by Shanny that he'd be pissed if Haynesworth racked up sacks. Shanny was one of these "scheme" guys, where you fit the players to the scheme, rather than Jim Schwartz, who fits the scheme to the players. Mario was in the same boat with Rex. Not sure why he's unmotivated in Miami.

Edited by Freddie's Dead

you say that until you are who knows how many concussions in, and it hurts to walk around literally every day, and you have more money than your grand children could spend so fear isnt driving you and you are playing on a losing team with guys you may or may not like.

sure sounds nice to you and I dreaming of the possibility of chasing the dream. but for some of these guys its just a really well paying job and some jobs are not fun.

According to the article: http://www.theplayerstribune.com/albert-haynesworth-letter-to-my-younger-self/, Haynewsworth was stunned when Shanny told him to just take up space and not rush the QB. He was told flat out by Shanny that he'd be pissed if Haynesworth racked up sacks. Shanny was one of these "scheme" guys, where you fit the players to the scheme, rather than Jim Schwartz, who fits the scheme to the players. Mario was in the same boat with Rex. Not sure why he's unmotivated in Miami.

schwartz certainly is a scheme guy too. we just had the PERFECT personnel for it.

look at his rankings when he didnt have a suh in the middle, edge rushers, and a thumper at MLB.

While it's a good point, but when you're getting paid a very large sum of money to do a job, you do it to the best of your ability, whether you like it or not.