In depth look at TE

Phlegm Alley

One thing which is different about these Bills than previous models with Butler and even GW in charge is that the coaching staff seems more hands-on than previously in having the confidence to really make more productive players out of athletes at particular positions.

A lof this comes from having coaches who view the world through the eyes of being recent former players ((MM, Kumrie, Gray to an extent) and some of this comes from the position coach being such a respected old hand that there seems to be almost a paternal bond which is used in having the coach view the player as a person to improve rather than another jigsaw piece to mix and match (Wyche, JMac).

At any rate I think this actually makes it tougher to judge things or make good judgements by us fans as a central part of the improvements a particular player may make or the decisions a position coach may make are going to be based in part on the personal relationship between the player and coach and we as outsiders will only be able to make estimates (guesses really) on the objective Xs and Os we see.

I think this is an important factor if it is true, because as far as TE goes, I can see the Bills actually not doing the "logical" thing of of acquiring a demonstrated good player like a Franks or a Pollard mostly because former TE MM may have a feeling (just a hunch as James Kirk used to say) that he can make it work with a player like a Jason Peters and rather than getting the logical player, the Bills take a flyer on the coach's say so.

I think we already saw this with JMac believing in Lawrence Smith. I believe we are seeing it with the confidence theBills are showing in JP Losman. So at any rate, as we make our move on TE, I suggest we listen to MM closely and do not be reluctant to expect the unexpected here.

I don't know what happened in Denver, but 34 catches for almost 600 yards with a 15.9 YPC average, with 27 of them for a 1st down, and being just 26, 6'4 256#, and running a 4.69 40-yard, all for just a 6th round pick, seems like a worthwhile gamble to me.

251805[/snapback]

That's because you're going by just stats which tells, oh, about 20% of the picture. I don't know much about Putzier other than his stats and that he didnt start ahead of two very average TEs, on a struggling team. He may be mostly terrible at blocking, which, if it is the case, I don't want anything to do with him. Perhaps he is a cancer, or an !@#$, which, also, keeps him out of a lot of the running. Perhaps he got a bum deal, which makes him perhaps a steal. Perhaps he just needs some good coaching, which, again, may make him something to look for. The point, is, obviously, unless you really know a lot about a guy it isn't a good idea to just say, LOOK AT THESE STATS, this guy is good, let's get him.

One thing which is different about these Bills than previous models with Butler and even GW in charge is that the coaching staff seems more hands-on than previously in having the confidence to really make more productive players out of athletes at particular positions.

A lof this comes from having coaches who view the world through the eyes of being recent former players ((MM, Kumrie, Gray to an extent) and some of this comes from the position coach being such a respected old hand that there seems to be almost a paternal bond which is used in having the coach view the player as a person to improve rather than another jigsaw piece to mix and match (Wyche, JMac).

At any rate I think this actually makes it tougher to judge things or make good judgements by us fans as a central part of the improvements a particular player may make or the decisions a position coach may make are going to be based in part on the personal relationship between the player and coach and we as outsiders will only be able to make estimates (guesses really) on the objective Xs and Os we see.

I think this is an important factor if it is true, because as far as TE goes, I can see the Bills actually not doing the "logical" thing of of acquiring a demonstrated good player like a Franks or a Pollard mostly because former TE MM may have a feeling (just a hunch as James Kirk used to say) that he can make it work with a player like a Jason Peters and rather than getting the logical player, the Bills take a flyer on the coach's say so.

I think we already saw this with JMac believing in Lawrence Smith. I believe we are seeing it with the confidence theBills are showing in JP Losman.  So at any rate, as we make our move on TE, I suggest we listen to MM closely and do not be reluctant to expect the unexpected here.

251857[/snapback]

JMac had so much confiedence in Lawrence Smith that Lawrence lasted about two games at starter. What I like about this staff is that it isn't willing to stand still and will put what it thinks is the best 11 players out there at the time when the games are being played. It keeps the players on their toes, IMO. They may make mistakes, as they did I think with Smith when Tucker, to me, always should have been the starting LG. Not that we can't find someone better but he has started and has played pretty good before and has most of the tools. I don't know why they had to go through the Pucillo and Smith

I now that everyone on this forum has an opinion on what we should do at TE.  Some people are all for retaining the ones that we have (Campbell and Euhus).  These people think that they will return to top form after rehab and all that, but remember, Euhus is coming off his second injury to the same knee in his short career, and the likelihood of him coming back full strength is reduced majorily.

With only a modest amount of $ to spend this offseason and taking into account the major priorities that we should focus on (TE is not at the top of list), I feel that we should all collectively put our aspirations of acquiring Bubba Franks or Jermaine Wiggins (With the departure of Moss, the Vikings will resign him) aside.

Here is a list of the top FA TEs this offseason:

FA TEs

This list has altered since the results of some cuts (Pollard) so I think that will disrupt each players ranking.

After looking at all of these players stats and reading about them, this is the one that I considered most intriguing:

Freddie Jones

1)  Aside from Franks, Jones has been the most durable, only missing time in 2001 but was a force for the Chargers before going down with an injury.

2)  He is still fairly young (he'll be31 later this year, Pollard is 33), and I think you could get 3-4 more years out of him easily. 

3)  He has been one of the only consistent contributors on a horrible AZ team.  Avg 48 catches and 433 yds.

Of course, this all depends on what Freddie Jones' asking price would be.  I think he could come as cheap as 3 yrs $7-8 million.

What do you guys think?

251403[/snapback]

We will not be getting any tight end in FA. There are too mant already on our roster and we may have the best blocking TE ever in the history of the NFL in Jason Peters.

That's because you're going by just stats which tells, oh, about 20% of the picture.

First of all, calm down. Second of all, to paraphrash Bill Parcells, "you are what your stats are." Among TE's last year, Putz was 9th in receiving yards, 13th in receptions, and 3rd in YPC among TE's with 25 or more receptions. Moreover almost 80% of his receptions were for 1st downs. And if he WAS the 3rd TE behind some scrubs, that makes it all the more impressive. My guess is that since he's more of a receiving TE than a blocker, he was 3rd because the Broncos like to run the ball a lot. But who cares? With stats like those, I'll spend the 6th rounder and the fairly cheap salary for a TE like that, especially considering that Euhus isn't that great of a blocker and is coming off an ACL injury.

Broncos News

Also receiving the tender carrying original-pick compensation were defensive end Anton Palepoi, defensive tackles Dorsett Davis and Monsanto Pope, safety Sam Brandon and tight end Jeb Putzier.

Palepoi originally was taken in the second round; Davis the third; Pope the seventh; Brandon the fourth; and Putzier the sixth.

Maybe TD gets him on-the-cheap.

Jeb Putzier

251459[/snapback]

Now that isn't a bad idea at all....

In reality....you could bring any of a NUMBER of Tight Ends in here and they would help this team right away......the bills dont have a history of bringing in vet Tight Ends and I think that is a mistake.....campbell aside.

Freddie Jones, Pollard, Dilger, Putz.....it is a good year for a FA Tight End

I now that everyone on this forum has an opinion on what we should do at TE.  Some people are all for retaining the ones that we have (Campbell and Euhus).  These people think that they will return to top form after rehab and all that, but remember, Euhus is coming off his second injury to the same knee in his short career, and the likelihood of him coming back full strength is reduced majorily.

With only a modest amount of $ to spend this offseason and taking into account the major priorities that we should focus on (TE is not at the top of list), I feel that we should all collectively put our aspirations of acquiring Bubba Franks or Jermaine Wiggins (With the departure of Moss, the Vikings will resign him) aside.

Here is a list of the top FA TEs this offseason:

FA TEs

This list has altered since the results of some cuts (Pollard) so I think that will disrupt each players ranking.

After looking at all of these players stats and reading about them, this is the one that I considered most intriguing:

Freddie Jones

1)  Aside from Franks, Jones has been the most durable, only missing time in 2001 but was a force for the Chargers before going down with an injury.

2)  He is still fairly young (he'll be31 later this year, Pollard is 33), and I think you could get 3-4 more years out of him easily. 

3)  He has been one of the only consistent contributors on a horrible AZ team.  Avg 48 catches and 433 yds.

Of course, this all depends on what Freddie Jones' asking price would be.  I think he could come as cheap as 3 yrs $7-8 million.

What do you guys think?

251403[/snapback]

You overlook Denney whose value is enormous. Should either Euhus or Campbell not return Denney is a dependable alternative. It further allows us flexibility to draft other needs. Draftniks say this draft is TE poor