In depth look at TE

Phlegm Alley

I now that everyone on this forum has an opinion on what we should do at TE. Some people are all for retaining the ones that we have (Campbell and Euhus). These people think that they will return to top form after rehab and all that, but remember, Euhus is coming off his second injury to the same knee in his short career, and the likelihood of him coming back full strength is reduced majorily.

With only a modest amount of $ to spend this offseason and taking into account the major priorities that we should focus on (TE is not at the top of list), I feel that we should all collectively put our aspirations of acquiring Bubba Franks or Jermaine Wiggins (With the departure of Moss, the Vikings will resign him) aside.

Here is a list of the top FA TEs this offseason:

FA TEs

This list has altered since the results of some cuts (Pollard) so I think that will disrupt each players ranking.

After looking at all of these players stats and reading about them, this is the one that I considered most intriguing:

Freddie Jones

1) Aside from Franks, Jones has been the most durable, only missing time in 2001 but was a force for the Chargers before going down with an injury.

2) He is still fairly young (he'll be31 later this year, Pollard is 33), and I think you could get 3-4 more years out of him easily.

3) He has been one of the only consistent contributors on a horrible AZ team. Avg 48 catches and 433 yds.

Of course, this all depends on what Freddie Jones' asking price would be. I think he could come as cheap as 3 yrs $7-8 million.

What do you guys think?

I would rather see Marcus Pollard, but Freddie Jones wouldn't bother me either...one thing I like about Pollard is that he is a great red-zone TE, and has the abiltiy to break tackles! I can't honestly say that I have seen Jones play nearly as much (who watches the Cardnals?), but I know that he is pretty highly regarded by most. Either way, I believe that the Bills, since they are going with the kid, need to upgrade at this position. At this point, even when healthy, Campbell is our #1 guy. He is decent, but a big time receiving TE would be a great addition. Neither Jones or Pollard appear to be in the Gonzales or Gates category, but both would be an upgrade.

I would rather see Marcus Pollard, but Freddie Jones wouldn't bother me either...one thing I like about Pollard is that he is a great red-zone TE, and has the abiltiy to break tackles!  I can't honestly say that I have seen Jones play nearly as much (who watches the Cardnals?), but I know that he is pretty highly regarded by most.

251411[/snapback]

I'd like to see Pollard as well. Has anyone heard the status on Euhnus? I read a little on Campbell's rehab last week but how is the kid doing?

Main knock I would put on Jones is blocking.  That's not his strong suit, and I think that at least next year we have to get solid blocking from the TE.  If Jones plays 2 of every 5 offensive snaps is he worth 3 years at 7 million?

251420[/snapback]

i agree.......jones' lack of blocking skills makes him a bad fit for our offense........

pollard, on the other hand, is a legit blocker who also is a big factor in the red zone.......he's our man........

Broncos News

Also receiving the tender carrying original-pick compensation were defensive end Anton Palepoi, defensive tackles Dorsett Davis and Monsanto Pope, safety Sam Brandon and tight end Jeb Putzier.

Palepoi originally was taken in the second round; Davis the third; Pope the seventh; Brandon the fourth; and Putzier the sixth.

Maybe TD gets him on-the-cheap.

Jeb Putzier

Broncos News

Also receiving the tender carrying original-pick compensation were defensive end Anton Palepoi, defensive tackles Dorsett Davis and Monsanto Pope, safety Sam Brandon and tight end Jeb Putzier.

Palepoi originally was taken in the second round; Davis the third; Pope the seventh; Brandon the fourth; and Putzier the sixth.

Jeb Putzier

251459[/snapback]

Someone is going to grab him. He had a very nice season last year -- his first season starting. He had about 600 receiving yards and a pair of TDs.

Broncos News

Jeb Putzier

251459[/snapback]

Look at that 15.9 ypc average. Seems like an up and comer with a lot of upside. Probably was the recipient on a lot of Plummer rollouts which is what we could predict a lot of this coming year on offense.

Broncos News

Jeb Putzier

251459[/snapback]

if TD gives him an offer "on the cheap" why wouldn't denver just match it? he is an RFA, so they have that option.........

Someone is going to grab him. He had a very nice season last year -- his first season starting. He had about 600 receiving yards and a pair of TDs.

251467[/snapback]

Yep.

Look at that 15.9 ypc average. Seems like an up and comer with a lot of upside.

36 catches, 27 of them for first downs isn't too shabby either.

Putzier lit us up in the preseason and is a nice option but he's not much of a blocker.  Kind of a Riemersma with better hands.

251692[/snapback]

Seems to me that they didnt necessarily like Putzier that much. They had 4-5 different TEs starting at different times last year and didnt stick with or settle on any of them, and some of them weren't all that good. If Putzier even had a large potential upside, he likely would have played more.

Seems to me that they didnt necessarily like Putzier that much. They had 4-5 different TEs starting at different times last year and didnt stick with or settle on any of them, and some of them weren't all that good. If Putzier even had a large potential upside, he likely would have played more.

251697[/snapback]

They struggled to find consistancy in their offense and fought through alot of injuries. Shanahan made some pretty odd decisions personnel wise and that certainly hurt them. The Putz looks alot like the injured guys already on our roster.

A 15.9 average on over 30 catches is great for a WR, let alone a TE.  I did a search and found this about him prior to the 2002 draft: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/...yers/16588.html

Running a 4.69 40-yard and being 6'4" and 256# sounds pretty good to me!

251772[/snapback]

Agreed, those are great stats YPC. It's just hard to believe that a very good TE on a struggling team cannot beat out Duane Carswell and Patrick Hape for playing time. I think Jeb may have started once in the last half of the season and was usually the #3 TE.

Agreed, those are great stats YPC. It's just hard to believe that a very good TE on a struggling team cannot beat out Duane Carswell and Patrick Hape for playing time. I think Jeb may have started once in the last half of the season and was usually the #3 TE.

I don't know what happened in Denver, but 34 catches for almost 600 yards with a 15.9 YPC average, with 27 of them for a 1st down, and being just 26, 6'4 256#, and running a 4.69 40-yard, all for just a 6th round pick, seems like a worthwhile gamble to me.