If you're Greg Roman...

eball

Richard Incognito was pretty clear on Murph today that ALynn's running game is much more simplified with some straight-up blocking, counters, and other bread-and-butter running plays that WERE NOT being used by Roman. Roman has no one but himself to blame. If for nothing else than the Bills are breaking the huddle with 20 secs instead of 10 secs on the play clock, ALynn has been a godsend. It's pretty clear that the disorganization on offense which led to burnt TO's and DOG penalties was Roman's fault. We've seen a HUGE decrease in the disorganization on offense with ALynn. The idea that Roman was a scapegoat has been debunked. ROMAN WAS THE PROBLEM AND THEY CUT HIM OUT LIKE A CANCER! The only beef left is why Rex didn't do it in the off-season.

I agree with this. It's one of the things that made the Kelly offenses so great. They didn't do a lot of complex things, they just did the things they did very precisely.

John Madden said in his book (paraphrased): "You should be able to execute your offense even if the defense knows what's coming." It's one of the things that makes New England so annoying to play against. They beat you doing the same things over and over again but they do them so well that it's like you're seeing it for the first time.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The better the offense looks without him the worse hes going to look. He has to be rooting against us. A rookie OC that's never called a play in his life is making him look incompetent. It's my belief that Greg Roman is good at designing plays just not good at calling them.

Richard Incognito was pretty clear on Murph today that ALynn's running game is much more simplified with some straight-up blocking, counters, and other bread-and-butter running plays that WERE NOT being used by Roman. Roman has no one but himself to blame. If for nothing else than the Bills are breaking the huddle with 20 secs instead of 10 secs on the play clock, ALynn has been a godsend. It's pretty clear that the disorganization on offense which led to burnt TO's and DOG penalties was Roman's fault. We've seen a HUGE decrease in the disorganization on offense with ALynn. The idea that Roman was a scapegoat has been debunked. ROMAN WAS THE PROBLEM AND THEY CUT HIM OUT LIKE A CANCER! The only beef left is why Rex didn't do it in the off-season.

Sadly, I think that you are correct.

Maybe now the Buffalo News will stop pushing the "Greg Roman was a scapegoat" narrative.

Lynn is definitely getting the play calling in faster. I noticed that yesterday. Right after the play is over, TT is already listening to his earset.

Anyone notice yesterday when TT got hit, after he got up he was listening to his helmet and gave a thumbs up saying that he was ok. I wonder who asked him?

It's one of the things that makes New England so annoying to play against. They beat you doing the same things over and over again but they do them so well that it's like you're seeing it for the first time.

This is so true . . . and it is VERY annoying.

Whomever designed that rolling pocket passback to OLeary designed a beaut of a play. I imagine it was already in the playbook and the Bills just practiced it during the week. Roman just tried to get too cute. He designs great plays. But he didn't let his players do what they do well like Lynn is doing.

Whomever designed that rolling pocket passback to OLeary designed a beaut of a play. I imagine it was already in the playbook and the Bills just practiced it during the week. Roman just tried to get too cute. He designs great plays. But he didn't let his players do what they do well like Lynn is doing.

You know, I keep hearing this - but then yesterday we saw the double option, we saw EJ running the keeper, we saw WR reverses, and we saw unbalanced lines and lots of pre-snap formation adjustments. It was plenty "cute" and looked a lot like some of the concepts Roman was trying to install. But better, crisper, and far more effectively run and timed. Maybe Lynn is just an all-around better OC?

You know, I keep hearing this - but then yesterday we saw the double option, we saw EJ running the keeper, we saw WR reverses, and we saw unbalanced lines and lots of pre-snap formation adjustments. It was plenty "cute" and looked a lot like some of the concepts Roman was trying to install. But better, crisper, and far more effectively run and timed. Maybe Lynn is just an all-around better OC?

When I say he tried to get too cute it included those kinds of plays and simultaneously not doing what every coach should be doing. He didn't let TT be TT but tried to make him a pocket passer, he didn't let him run the read option or roll him out, he didn't use Sammy, he didn't have any use for Felton but cut him in favor of Puppy Gronk, he didn't make Taylor throw down the field. We didn't have the TEs to play his three TE offense, etc. His version of using EJ was to split him out, then have him run under center, on third and one, as if that fooled anyone.

And worse, it took him twice as long to decide which cutesy play he was going to run and TT had no time to survey the defense and decide what he was going to do with the ball.

I doubt it. He was slightly damaged goods when the BILLS made him the OC. Kicking him to the curb after 2 weeks of his second season is VERY damaging to his long term viability.

And the numbers the team put up after he was kicked the curb only puts salt on the wound.

If you're Anthony Lynn how much of this playbook do you scrap in favor of your own heading in 2017? That's what I want to know.

Agreed, if he is still here. Lynn will be a potential HC candidate if the Bills can keep up their pace on offense. He did interview for a HC job last offseason, correct?

I honestly think the "too cute" thing is more a function of what Roman asked the OLine to do than anything. I think the OLine spent far too much time having to think about what to do than just put a hat on a dude and drive him. What we're seeing right now is much more good ol' fashion power football with just enough misdirection type stuff to keep defenses honest.

For the most part Lynn is just having the team do what they're good at, instead of trying to outsmart the other team all the time. Roman could have done the same thing but simply refused to do it.

If I'm Greg Roman, weeks 3 and 4 I'm watching and I'm actively rooting for Lynn, Rex, and the Bills to fall on their collective faces. Now its week 6, I haven't shaved or left the house in 2 weeks, the curtains are drawn and the living room is littered with empty pizza boxes. The walls are scrawled with "F@#$ Rex Ryan! F@#$ Rex Ryan!" and "All scores and no 3 and outs makes Greg a dull boy!". By week 8 they find me wandering around the neighborhood in a bathrobe and shouting in play calls to confused passersby.

:lol::lol: Descriptive narration :thumbsup:

I remember that! Made the whole team shift to the left side of the field then TT turned and nailed O'Leary on the right. Beauty indeed.

How much of Greg Romans playbook, who had never been an OC in the NFL or CFB before SF, is really John Haurbaghs playbook?

If you study his history, you will find Roman is actually in a class by himself. and in a good way.

He will be back. Hopefully smarter for it

If you're Anthony Lynn how much of this playbook do you scrap in favor of your own heading in 2017? That's what I want to know.

i will be curious to see how much he deviates from the roman playbook/intalls some of his own stuff this year. just based off of comments about this offense not exactly being what he would go with. not that i would necessarily know what i was looking at, but something for more qualifies eyes to watch for.