Merge weasel jerks are actually right!

...Within reason, given the type of traffic situation.

Now there is this:

https://www.bostonglobe.com/news/nation/2016/10/13/those-jerks-who-wait-until-last-second-merge-are-actually-right/V1qlF4VgdFYVIPnHXg77FP/story.html?p1=Article_Trending_Most_Viewed

Normally, the courtesy is to usually do "the right thing" by merging early. I got into this debate w/my wife when we made a trip to Iowa City last month. Everybody there was so damn polite, "courteous" & merged early that it caused MORE traffic problems given the way the lights and geography of the road was set up with regard to the construction zone. Instead of bunching every vehicle up (like in a "funnel") and "zipper merging"... Drivers being too damn courteous, not wanting to merge late, caused one big line of traffic which then snarled all traffic across multiple traffic lights. Nobody could seem to move.

This article is right! When traffic gets to a certain high volume, it is more efficent to utilize the merging lane to handle the high traffic volume. One long line is not efficient, there has to be late mergers.

Normally, I am courteous and merge early. That afternoon in Iowa City was brutal! Traffic had to start utilizing the empty merge lane... And I was just the vehicle to start doing it... Much to the ire of my wife! ;-)

Now there is this:

https://www.bostonglobe.com/news/nation/2016/10/13/those-jerks-who-wait-until-last-second-merge-are-actually-right/V1qlF4VgdFYVIPnHXg77FP/story.html?p1=Article_Trending_Most_Viewed

Normally, the courtesy is to usually do "the right thing" by merging early. I got into this debate w/my wife when we made a trip to Iowa City last month. Everybody there was so damn polite, "courteous" & merged early that it caused MORE traffic problems given the way the lights and geography of the road was set up with regard to the construction zone. Instead of bunching every vehicle up (like in a "funnel") and "zipper merging"... Drivers being too damn courteous, not wanting to merge late, caused one big line of traffic which then snarled all traffic across multiple traffic lights. Nobody could seem to move.

This article is right! When traffic gets to a certain high volume, it is more efficent to utilize the merging lane to handle the high traffic volume. One long line is not efficient, there has to be late mergers.

Normally, I am courteous and merge early. That afternoon in Iowa City was brutal! Traffic had to start utilizing the empty merge lane... And I was just the vehicle to start doing it... Much to the ire of my wife! ;-)

No kidding. People didn't know that?

I can't wait until automatic cars are common. They'll be programmed to understand **** like "use all the road at your disposal" and "don't hold up traffic behind you by yielding the right-of-way to the one person leaving the parking lot."

No kidding. People didn't know that?

I can't wait until automatic cars are common. They'll be programmed to understand **** like "use all the road at your disposal" and "don't hold up traffic behind you by yielding the right-of-way to the one person leaving the parking lot."

Yep... We are talking about "polite" Iowans here.

;-)

Oh... And my wife. LoL

It was unreal in Iowa City, that empty lane never would have lasted 10 seconds in Chicago. Of course the cars in line had to see my "Ill-Annoy" plates. I was surely judged: "Look @ that azz wipe in the BMW w/Illinois plates!"

My God, how stupid are Iowans... ;-) Wait, I think that is somebody else's line. ;-)

I forgot where it was but I had a similar situation this summer. Passed about three miles of stopped traffic and was able to merge about a quarter mile from the end of the lane. I figure I saved my self easily half an hour of waiting if I had jumped in line when I first saw the backup

I forgot where it was but I had a similar situation this summer. Passed about three miles of stopped traffic and was able to merge about a quarter mile from the end of the lane. I figure I saved my self easily half an hour of waiting if I had jumped in line when I first saw the backup

and if everyone did what you did we would all save time and gas...too many dumb people in the US to figure out zipper method is way more time efficient for EEVERYON

and if everyone did what you did we would all save time and gas...too many dumb people in the US to figure out zipper method is way more time efficient for EEVERYON

Do you have to be a douche bag in an Audi to make things more efficient or is any car/driver combo able to achieve this goal? Is a Honda Fit able to do this for example?

Do you have to go 73 MPH when the lane you're merging into is averaging 5 MPH?

Do you have to be a douche bag in an Audi to make things more efficient or is any car/driver combo able to achieve this goal? Is a Honda Fit able to do this for example?

no, you just have to be smart..prolly why you are not grasping the concept :lol::nana:

Try that here in CA. No one will let you in.

There is always one moron on the phone not paying attention who leaves six car lengths between him and the car in front of him.

It's the reverse that bugs me. People going 5mph in the acceleration lane trying to merge with 75mph traffic.

It's an ACCELERATION lane, morons! Don't stop! SPEED UP!

There is always one moron on the phone not paying attention who leaves six car lengths between him and the car in front of him.

One moron will not make it work. Even a dozen morons won't make it work. You need every other person to be a moron. Oh wait, never minde. It will work perfectly.

It's the reverse that bugs me. People going 5mph in the acceleration lane trying to merge with 75mph traffic.

It's an ACCELERATION lane, morons! Don't stop! SPEED UP!

Oh you'll get no argument from me on that.

Also not a fan of people in the right lane slowing waaaaaaaayyyyyyy down when another car is getting up to speed on their right to merge. I don't like it when I'm in the right lane, the next lane to the left or even when I'm the one trying to merge.

A bunch of years back @ the game... Vehicles were bringing everything to a stand still because idiots didn't want to alternate lanes when clearing out. One Bills fan (hanging back, still tailgating) actually started directing traffic and was getting people to alternate. Gotta admit... He was liquored up enough to get right in front of the douchebags that wouldn't let people alternate... And to my surprise, it worked, nobody ran him over.

Hey... They aren't all drunk and stupid in the stadium lots. ;-)

I get in the merge lane and go incredibly slow with my turn signal on, but never actually turn.

This sounds like a Steven Wright joke? Are you also an AM radio announcer too? Do you become quiet when you travel under bridges? ;-)

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Now there is this:

making it flow forwards

4516106.jpg