The Kidnapping Of Ernie "The Cat"

I loved this guy as a player and also his wrestling banter including how he handled wrestling with a "bad thumb", a football injury. http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/charg...9-1s21ladd.html

A 18 year old 6-6 225lb "Bad Dude" Ernie upon meeting his dad, "my arms looked like garden hoses compared to his".

http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2005/02/22...22105200214.txt

I remember seeing him on tv in Buffalo wrestling against "The Chief" on Saturday mornings.

It makes you wonder what kind of player he would be in today's game.  ;)

251369[/snapback]

Hard to say. The head slap was legal back then. I occasionally wonder what the great receivers of the past who played under bump 'n run defense like Freddie Biletnikoff and Lance Alworth would fare under today's "I'm a receiver and that DB gave me a dirty look, ref, so flag him for pass interfence" rules.

Hard to say. The head slap was legal back then.  I occasionally wonder what the great receivers of the past who played under bump 'n run defense like Freddie Biletnikoff and Lance Alworth would fare  under today's "I'm a receiver and that DB gave me a dirty look, ref, so flag him for pass interfence" rules.

251862[/snapback]

You're not kidding. What about speed guys like Cliff Branch/John Jefferson/Wes Chandler?

You're not kidding.  What about speed guys like Cliff Branch/John Jefferson/Wes Chandler?

251864[/snapback]

And what would it be like if oldies such as Johnnie Robinson, Herb Adderly, Willy Brown, Karl Kassulke, Larry Wilson, Lem Barney, Butch Byrd, Lemar Parrish, etc. got to pummel today's crop of twinkies like TO and Randy Moss? Child abuse charges would be rampant.

And what would it be like if oldies such as Johnnie Robinson, Herb Adderly, Willy Brown, Karl Kassulke, Larry Wilson, Lem Barney, Lemar Parrish, etc. got to pummel today's crop of twinkies like TO and Randy Moss?  Child abuse charges would be rampant.

251885[/snapback]

You left off Robert James (and of course others, like Mel Blount) but you're absolutely correct.

And what would it be like if oldies such as Johnnie Robinson, Herb Adderly, Willy Brown, Karl Kassulke, Larry Wilson, Lem Barney, Butch Byrd, Lemar Parrish, etc. got to pummel today's crop of twinkies like TO and Randy Moss? Child abuse charges would be rampant.

For some reason when I hear the classic line from the best football movie ever The Longest Yard "I think I broke his fuch neck" I think of "The Cat".

My mind is foggy on Karl Kassulke, some info please.