Carucci: Whaley an NFL Executive of the Year Candidate?

He has gone from getting fired to Executive of the Year in 5 weeks??? What a run for him.

Let the season play out but I still think he is one of the best young GMs in the NFL. Not perfect by any means but I still think we have a very talented roster.

Agreed and agreed!

It's funny how 3 weeks ago people were basically standing outside of OBD with torches and pitchforks, now they are singing his praise. He screwed us trading up for Sammy, the McCoy contract, the Clay contract, drafting a DE with a bum shoulder, somehow it was his fault Reggie tore his ACL, he released FredEx, this roster is horrible, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. Yes there are things on the team that need improvement, we can ALL agree with that, but there is no question he has been a key cog in swaying the talent level on this team. Have been saying that all along. Exec of the year? Not yet, but have always said he has been doing a better job than anyone else we have had in over a decade.

He has gone from getting fired to Executive of the Year in 5 weeks??? What a run for him.

Fortunately my burning pitchfork is also really handy for lighting candles at awards ceremony dinners!

Leggo Buffalo!

It's funny how 3 weeks ago people were basically standing outside of OBD with torches and pitchforks, now they are singing his praise.

Some just like the smell of tar and have a feather fetish.

Considering the local sports writers who write for Bills it is not surprising how some fans reflect their mental states.

It's gotta be Rick Spielman (if the Vikes keep it up anyway). Taking a Vikings team that lost Bridgewater and AP to a 5-0 start is impressive.

The Vikings are definitely looking like the team to beat in the NFC North, if not the NFC. The Bradford deal just before the opener is the capper right now.

Let's pump the brakes here...

I loved the wins, Ill love the win Sunday and hopefully against Miami... a lot to like and I'm generally excited... but let's see if this team can sustain itself and perform against playoff caliber teams with good QBs.

I remember not liking Marrone and after the Green Bay, some people here were telling me he was a COTY candidate... then they fell on their face in Oakland.... and everyone else turned on him as he left and it is wildly accepted gospel that he is/was a clown.

I like how the team has played its way back into the season. Some bright spots and players out of nowhere (to us) who are performing. The team is going to have to win some games against good teams, and possibly on the road. Something this franchise hasn't been able to do under Whaley or anyone else for the last 16+ years.

IF they get over that hump this season and become a playoff team. Whaley will get a lot of love from the NFL media.... and I will heap a lot of praise on him. If they fall on their face again and we are in the same spin cycle as usual... then what are we doing?

I posted this in the drafting QB every year thread......Whaley has done a great job outside the QB position so how do we get someone who knows what a QB is actually supposed to look like?

I think Whaley is from the same school of thought I am. Which is build the team outside the QB that way you're not relying on that QB or losing valuable cap room on a QB. It's like the Steelers did in the early 90s did with Neil O'Donnell/Kordell Stewart. Yet Whaley's also not hedging his bets with Tyrod with the last contract he gave him.

I think Whaley is from the same school of thought I am. Which is build the team outside the QB that way you're not relying on that QB or losing valuable cap room on a QB. It's like the Steelers did in the early 90s did with Neil O'Donnell/Kordell Stewart. Yet Whaley's also not hedging his bets with Tyrod with the last contract he gave him.

Tyrod's extension is the very definition of "hedging your bet" given the structure of the deal that allows them to walk away at the end of this season.

I posted this in the drafting QB every year thread......Whaley has done a great job outside the QB position so how do we get someone who knows what a QB is actually supposed to look like?

I think he is looking for the big lumbering Roethlisberger type. Both EJ and Cardale fit that mold but I highly doubt they become half the QB Big Ben is.