All 22 - Passing Yards Left on Table Analysis

Bocephuz

Good stuff.

From my vantage point, by the time of the overthrown Woods pass, Tyrod was getting jittery in the pocket. The Rams were doing a good job of disrupting his rhythm and throwing lanes. I thought Richie had a bad game in pass pro (and Mills too), wondering if you saw that too. But my point is, the Woods overthrow, to me, was a product of the pocket collapsing most of the day and Tyrod starting to feel phantom pressure. Thoughts?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A better throw to Woods and the game basically ends.

I get that but he had pressure from 2 different Rams beating the let side of our OL. Could he have stepped up? Maybe. But when he saw him open AND saw that pressure his first instinct had to be to throw. It's not like he didn't reach him, he overthrew him.

During the game I put that one on Cordy. When I see this thread I put it equally on the left side of the OL and TT.

Good stuff.

From my vantage point, by the time of the overthrown Woods pass, Tyrod was getting jittery in the pocket. The Rams were doing a good job of disrupting his rhythm and throwing lanes. I thought Richie had a bad game in pass pro (and Mills too), wondering if you saw that too. But my point is, the Woods overthrow, to me, was a product of the pocket collapsing most of the day and Tyrod starting to feel phantom pressure. Thoughts?

He was definitely being moved off his spot much more in the 2nd half. I'll have to watch again to comment on individual line play.

Good stuff.

Tyrod starting to feel phantom pressure. Thoughts?

My thoughts are that this is--by far--his biggest problem. Happened on the first TD throw too. Drop 8, rush three, Clay chips then veers to the flat, but before he's even out of his route, Tyrod has bailed on the pocket. Blockers out number rushers 7 to 3 and he still gets happy feet. Not good.

My thoughts are that this is--by far--his biggest problem. Happened on the first TD throw too. Drop 8, rush three, Clay chips then veers to the flat, but before he's even out of his route, Tyrod has bailed on the pocket. Blockers out number rushers 7 to 3 and he still gets happy feet. Not good.

Agreed, but on that play actually it wasn't entirely a phantom - Richie got completely beat off the snap and let his guy into the pocket virtually unimpeded. Happened a lot on Sunday.

I'll say it: Richie Incognito of 2016 is not the same player we saw in 2015. His decline has been mostly offset by John Miller's ascendance. But they'll need to start looking for a long-term replacement at the LG spot soon.

I get that but he had pressure from 2 different Rams beating the let side of our OL. Could he have stepped up? Maybe. But when he saw him open AND saw that pressure his first instinct had to be to throw. It's not like he didn't reach him, he overthrew him.

During the game I put that one on Cordy. When I see this thread I put it equally on the left side of the OL and TT.

In my opinion he is much more spooked by the blitzing lb coming from his right.. and that is what hurries his clock up. It's a shame because the rb does a good job picking up the blitzer.

Cordy does initially get beaten.. but he recovers and drives the guy just far enough behind TT to save the pocket.

Agreed, but on that play actually it wasn't entirely a phantom - Richie got completely beat off the snap and let his guy into the pocket virtually unimpeded. Happened a lot on Sunday.

I'll say it: Richie Incognito of 2016 is not the same player we saw in 2015. His decline has been mostly offset by John Miller's ascendance. But they'll need to start looking for a long-term replacement at the LG spot soon.

Richie still looks great in the run game.. pulling etc.. but to my eye I agree that his pass protect has regressed a little. Not to say he has been horrible.. but definitely not up to the Pro Bowl pass protection level of last year. I think it would be smart to consider drafting a guard in the first couple of rounds to groom.

Edited by Bocephuz

On the Hunter TD? No. TT had all day to throw. He got happy feet and bailed. There was no pressure. This is the moment he bails:

uV7Nm27.png

Here it is from the broadcast angle. Clay hasn't even taken a step up field after chipping:

x8D9NOZ.png

On the Hunter TD? No. TT had all day to throw. He got happy feet and bailed. There was no pressure. This is the moment he bails:

uV7Nm27.png

Here it is from the broadcast angle. Clay hasn't even taken a step up field after chipping:

x8D9NOZ.png

He did get antsy a little early here..

On another point.. I was very pleased that he made several really aggressive tight window throws in the red zone. The throw to Woods where he didn't get his feet down as well as both TDs throws were well placed aggressive throws.

My point is he didn't complete those passes, regardless of the reasons. He had a few drops, but so does just about every team every week.

His numbers are his numbers.

So every team has the same number of dropped passes every week, in the same game situations?

If you are going to reasonably critique the QUARTERBACK, you have to account for plays outside of his control (like drops). It's really pretty simple.

He did get antsy a little early here..

On another point.. I was very pleased that he made several really aggressive tight window throws in the red zone. The throw to Woods where he didn't get his feet down as well as both TDs throws were well placed aggressive throws.

Agreed, but the pass went to Woods late. There was no reason for it to be as close as it was.

I'm not saying it was easy, or Tyrod blew it, just that a play like that is one of those game-breakers. It's one that we'd be singing his praises if he made.

Did I say that?

I said just about every team has drops every week. I think people are critiquing him for various reasons. Including inaccuracy, late throws, and a struggle to read defenses

While that is true, all four of the drops for the Bills were going to be first downs, so each was another set of three plays where he likely would have put up more passing yards in 12 plays or more.

Also, when we were stalling in the second half when he is getting the most criticism there were two startight three and out drives where we ran on first down, got stuffed, went into the Wildcat on second down so he wasn't even behind center both drives, got stuffed, and then on third and long he dropped back and immediately had guys in his face with no chance to pick up a first down.

Just thinking in a manner of angles / timing, the throw to Woods (or any throw to the sideline where the receiver is running parallel to it) may be the hardest one to make. For any quarterback. The angle, speed, and distance all have to be spot on. Where on other throws, the margin of error is greater because the receiver, and possibly quarterback, can make more adjustments.

After watching the All 22 I compiled a list of passing plays that "could have.. should have been". As you will see .. there was one big obvious play that is on Tyrod solely. There were also several big drops that hurt in various ways.

TYROD UNFORCED ERROR

Q3: 5:38 - 55 yards lost - Woods sells the slant.. CB bites .. and Woods is wide open down left side with no safety in sight. TT throws off his heels rather than stepping up in pocket (pressure is coming from the right side blitzing LB. but RB picks it up). If Tyrod hits this play.. much of the post game chatter we are hearing about his "game manager" stats would not be happening.

RECEIVER UNFORCED ERRORS

Q2 : 7:38 - 20+ yards lost?? - Charles Clay drops a well thrown called screen pass. As you will see below.. the linemen are pulling his way and there is a great deal of space for YAC for Clay. This was a great call by Anthony Lynn to take advantage of the Rams aggressive DEs.. but Clay let his QB.. and the team down on this one

Q2 - 7:22 - (5 yards and crucial 3rd down missed) - Tyrod makes a decisive quick throw to Goodwin who is running a hitch at the sticks. The throw is a tad high..and Goodwin takes a hit.. but nevertheless Goodwin really needs to come down with this one. The result is a 3 and out.. less plays for the offense and a punt.

Q2 - 1:01 - 15 yards? - Woods is wide open with some space to run.. but drops a decently thrown in route.

Q4 - 4:47 - 7 yards lost - Powell drops a slant pass and costs the team a chance to move the chains. It appears he alligator arms it as he doesn't want to take the hit.

So here are some hypothetical adjusted numbers for Tyrod

ACTUAL NUMBERS - 12/23 - 124 yds - 2 TDs - 0 turnovers

NO DROPS - 16/23 - 173 yds - 2 TDs - 0 turnovers

• Keep in mind .. several of these drops would have resulted in 1st downs. 23 attempts is a very low number of passing attempts .. and this low number is mostly due to crucial drops that could have moved the chains and created more opportunities.

WOODS DEEP BALL HITS/ NO DROPS - 17/23 - 228 YDS - 3 TDs - turnovers

• I think we would all take this stat line every week ..

At the end of the day Tyrod hurt himself on missing the deep ball to Woods.. but in my opinion his receivers let him down more times than he let them down. I think I only saw 2 obvious unforced errors from Tyrod on throws ( an overthrown out route to Goodwin and the Woods deep ball).

After re-watching this I feel better about Taylor than I did when watching in real time. History shows that he will start hitting his deep balls on a more regular basis.. and the recent past shows him starting to improve on the quick timing patterns as well as in the red zone. That combination .. along with limiting turnovers should be a winning formula for the Bills.

This is a great analysis, Thanks!

On the throw to Woods, it appears to me (but hard to see in the film) he is rocking back to throw over a defender. It does look as though he has a pocket to step up into, but I do know that can be deceiving from this angle.

On what you ID as a designed screen, Clay appears totally surprised that the ball is coming to him. Maybe that's just me.

We desperately need some sure-handed reliable receivers.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

No. Not at all. Many of these drops killed drives. We don't know how many yards he could have piled up with increased snaps.

Also, the team ran for about 200 yards in a double digit win on the road. Why do we need to throw for 300?

i dont think anyone has advocated that he do it every week, or last week in particular.

i think the general concern is that at some point it would be nice to see out of a guy if we are going to pay him a lot. and we arent paying him "do it every week" money but we are going to be paying him enough.

the other thing in crediting him with any and all drops or borderline catches -- sure its great when the WRs are perfect but thats not happening most weeks anywhere.

he did what he had to do, and we got a W -- which is all that matters in analyzing the single week in a vacuum, but in a wider sense, hes going to have to show some more at some point.

the other thing in crediting him with any and all drops or borderline catches -- sure its great when the WRs are perfect but thats not happening most weeks anywhere.

That's very true, but it has to be said that TT's WR aren't doing him any favors.

I once thought that Stevie Johnson, David Nelson, Donald Jones, and Scott Chandler were a sound WR/TE group, but after watching some other teams ....um, No. Are TT's throws perfect, No, but quality NFL WR and TE haul those in more often than not. Woods is doing OK overall and so is Clay, but Glass Goodwin has a catch percentage under 29%. You heard me right, if Taylor throws to him, 2/3 of the time he doesn't haul it in. And yeah, that was a bit high but if you're a 5'9" WR on an NFL team you by damn better have a vertical leap.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

After watching the All 22 I compiled a list of passing plays that "could have.. should have been". As you will see .. there was one big obvious play that is on Tyrod solely. There were also several big drops that hurt in various ways.

TYROD UNFORCED ERROR

Q3: 5:38 - 55 yards lost - Woods sells the slant.. CB bites .. and Woods is wide open down left side with no safety in sight. TT throws off his heels rather than stepping up in pocket (pressure is coming from the right side blitzing LB. but RB picks it up). If Tyrod hits this play.. much of the post game chatter we are hearing about his "game manager" stats would not be happening.

lIvVjcx.gif

RECEIVER UNFORCED ERRORS

Q2 : 7:38 - 20+ yards lost?? - Charles Clay drops a well thrown called screen pass. As you will see below.. the linemen are pulling his way and there is a great deal of space for YAC for Clay. This was a great call by Anthony Lynn to take advantage of the Rams aggressive DEs.. but Clay let his QB.. and the team down on this one

H4Bpl81.gif

Q2 - 7:22 - (5 yards and crucial 3rd down missed) - Tyrod makes a decisive quick throw to Goodwin who is running a hitch at the sticks. The throw is a tad high..and Goodwin takes a hit.. but nevertheless Goodwin really needs to come down with this one. The result is a 3 and out.. less plays for the offense and a punt.

VyhaX9Q.gif

Q2 - 1:01 - 15 yards? - Woods is wide open with some space to run.. but drops a decently thrown in route.

vNKLSB9.gif

Q4 - 4:47 - 7 yards lost - Powell drops a slant pass and costs the team a chance to move the chains. It appears he alligator arms it as he doesn't want to take the hit.

1yFzwIg.gif

So here are some hypothetical adjusted numbers for Tyrod

ACTUAL NUMBERS - 12/23 - 124 yds - 2 TDs - 0 turnovers

NO DROPS - 16/23 - 173 yds - 2 TDs - 0 turnovers

• Keep in mind .. several of these drops would have resulted in 1st downs. 23 attempts is a very low number of passing attempts .. and this low number is mostly due to crucial drops that could have moved the chains and created more opportunities.

WOODS DEEP BALL HITS/ NO DROPS - 17/23 - 228 YDS - 3 TDs - turnovers

• I think we would all take this stat line every week ..

At the end of the day Tyrod hurt himself on missing the deep ball to Woods.. but in my opinion his receivers let him down more times than he let them down. I think I only saw 2 obvious unforced errors from Tyrod on throws ( an overthrown out route to Goodwin and the Woods deep ball).

After re-watching this I feel better about Taylor than I did when watching in real time. History shows that he will start hitting his deep balls on a more regular basis.. and the recent past shows him starting to improve on the quick timing patterns as well as in the red zone. That combination .. along with limiting turnovers should be a winning formula for the Bills.

I would like to genuinely thank you for this posting effort !

For those of us that do watch the games, sometimes we get caught in the emotion. Or perhaps focus on one player or feature of the game. Rewatching and All 22 show us what we missed or corrects an opinion we might have formed.

Thanks again Bocephuz for breaking it down a bit