What happens to Greg Roman's reputation

If our Offense keeps performing as well as it has the past couple of weeks. It is "his" offense but demonstrates his inability to call plays during a game. I would imagine teams will be hesitant trusting his in game abilities going forward.

It seems painfully obvious righ now given the immediate turn around in offensive effectiveness with the new OC.

Roman's situation is odd. We saw him succeed in SF for a short period and then the wheels kinda came off the bus with that offense. We saw him have some sucess in Buffalo last season and then through 2 games this season, the wheels were coming off the bus again.

I dont doubt hes a good offensive mind. I may doubt his ability to adapt on the go and counter what a defense is doing to the offense on a given sunday.

If our Offense keeps performing as well as it has the past couple of weeks. It is "his" offense but demonstrates his inability to call plays during a game. I would imagine teams will be hesitant trusting his in game abilities going forward.

It seems painfully obvious righ now given the immediate turn around in offensive effectiveness with the new OC.

Don't count your chickens pre-hatch. Time will tell. Let's wait to see how the Bills offense continues to perform before worrying about Roman

New OC's have a big advantage in playcalling.

People think that because Roman had been an OC in SF that teams knew just what to expect when he came to Buffalo.

But when you give an OC entirely knew personnel it's the near equivalent of wiping the slate clean.

Works for QB's too........look at the initial run that previously "found-out" Bills like Flutie and Fitz have had after switching teams.

There is only so much time to throw a gameplan together from week to week and watching tape of every player on his former team and changing what YOU do based on THAT........well that's not happening all that often.

Roman had the advantage of being new to the position last year.........Lynn has it now......and should have it all season if he's cut out for it.

I think the assumption will be that Roman has learned from the mistakes and has a sound foundation........he's certainly had success without much in the way of a franchise QB.

Bills OC's like Dan Henning and Kevin Gilbride have gone on to subsequent playoff success after being run out of town for sh*t playcalling.

Roman needs to learn to adapt a little more and get calls in quicker. His schemes are effective.

One thing I'm not sure anybody pointed out or noticed themselves, but when Roman was OC in SF, before they switched to Kap, he also used Kap in weird sub packages like he was doing with EJ. I get that it adds an extra wrinkle, but it was maddening to see how he utilized that wrinkle in the Jets game. That's not something a pro OC should be doing and surely the rest of the league noticed.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him take a lower position or go back to college ball before getting another chance at an NFL OC gig.

I think Roman is great at designing plays. The thing that is really standing out over the last couple of games is how quickly the Bills are lining up for the next play. Roman was simply getting the play call in late forcing the QB to get the ball snapped before fully reading the D. This is a major issue. The Bills offense is way too talented to be put in that position. Give them a fair amount of time presnap and the whole dynamic changes.

Certain words tend to be used with others.

"Gall" tends to be unmitigated, but not a lot of other stuff seems to be unmitigated.

Reputations tend to be "tarnished".

Roman's situation is odd. We saw him succeed in SF for a short period and then the wheels kinda came off the bus with that offense. We saw him have some sucess in Buffalo last season and then through 2 games this season, the wheels were coming off the bus again.

I dont doubt hes a good offensive mind. I may doubt his ability to adapt on the go and counter what a defense is doing to the offense on a given sunday.

He also continued to take too much time getting plays called in as he did in SF.

Nothing happens to his reputation, IMO.

His situation vs. Lynn's situation are completely opposite.

I don't think Roman trusted Taylor. That affected play-calling. A lot.

If Roman, "let Tyrod be Tyrod," the risk was high for turnovers, injury and failure.

Lynn gets a freebie. He has nothing at all to lose. He's gambling if he lets Tyrod use his legs more or throw passes on obvious passing downs, but he's betting $5 vs. Roman betting his house, car and first born. Good for Lynn and I hope it works long-term for Tyrod and the Bills.

But I think most people can see that Tyrod's limitations kept Roman from calling the plays that most of us would like to see on a more consistent basis. Take the 4th and one plays against the Jets. Lynn would be a lot more comfortable letting Tyrod pass in that situation; or even let him do a designed run. If the pass didn't get off, or if Taylor got hurt on the run play, Lynn would face no criticism because, "he's just a lowly coach who's been thrust into this OC position." If Roman did either of those things, he would be torn apart.

My guess is that he'll land somewhere else as an OC next season and I hope that happens for him.

Nothing happens to his reputation, IMO.

His situation vs. Lynn's situation are completely opposite.

I don't think Roman trusted Taylor. That affected play-calling. A lot.

If Roman, "let Tyrod be Tyrod," the risk was high for turnovers, injury and failure.

Lynn gets a freebie. He has nothing at all to lose. He's gambling if he lets Tyrod use his legs more or throw passes on obvious passing downs, but he's betting $5 vs. Roman betting his house, car and first born. Good for Lynn and I hope it works long-term for Tyrod and the Bills.

But I think most people can see that Tyrod's limitations kept Roman from calling the plays that most of us would like to see on a more consistent basis. Take the 4th and one plays against the Jets. Lynn would be a lot more comfortable letting Tyrod pass in that situation; or even let him do a designed run. If the pass didn't get off, or if Taylor got hurt on the run play, Lynn would face no criticism because, "he's just a lowly coach who's been thrust into this OC position." If Roman did either of those things, he would be torn apart.

I suppose there may be logic and reason here but it is beyond my powers of discernment.

-Tyrod has been Tyrod the last two games, and the high risk of turnovers, injury, and failure has not materialized.

-It may in future, but failure materialized during the 1st 2 games without Tyrod being Tyrod.

-Roman has a guaranteed paycheck. His house and car are his to keep, as is his firstborn. What he risked is his reputation, and if Lynn's offense succeeds consistently this season where his didn't, he will take a hit.

-Lynn has been an assistant in the league for a long time without getting a break. The Rooney Rule provides token interviews more than it facilitates real change or opportunity for advancement. If Lynn fails as OC, even as an OC where the odds were stacked against success by taking over mid-season, he risks an opportunity for a step that may not come his way again.

They are still running Greg Roman plays. Hes good at designing them, just not good at calling them it would seem. We are enjoying early success with Lynn but how long is it sustainable? The big thing he has going for him now is unpredictably. And even if we have continued success this year, what happens next year if he wants to put in his own offense? Too early to say how this will turn out

It's not entirely all Roman's offensive plan anymore per se, it is Lynn's game plan. Lynn is more run heavy, where Roman's was not. I look for the game plan to evolve against a Rams Dline that is decent against the run and built to compete against Wilson and the Seahawks twice a year.