NFL.com: Gregg Rosenthal's 2016 QB Index

The Titans game but point taken.

A lot of it is subjective. There are other guys like Dalton, Bradford, Palmer, Alex Smith and a few others that are kind of in that tier with the guys above (at least in 2016). I don't really count the rookies at this point but Dak looks to be a tier above. A lot depends on personal preference or the way that your offense is designed as to which of those 8 to 10 QBs you like best.

That's the exact question with Tyrod though. Is that middle of the league type of play good enough? I think that the answer is that it depends on your options. The price is right in line with those guys so I don't worry too much about that. It's the going rate. If I had a chance to get Cousins (as an example) I'd pull the trigger but don't see that as a possibility. This year's draft class does nothing for me but I like 2018. It really is a tough question though. It's the same question that the Chiefs, Dolphins, Ravens (although he won a Super Bowl), Bengals, Texans, Bears and Rams (think that is who signed Bradford's extension) have wrestled with.

As a total tangent it will be interesting to see if the Jags cut ties with Bortles. He had a good year last year but has been awful this season. They will have a new regime and presumably a top 5 pick.

The Titans' game was one of the worst offensive games I have ever seen but point taken.

Palmer looks done and I think Bradford is very meh. So I'm fine putting Taylor with those guys. I think Smith and Dalton are annual playoff guys so they are a step above.

I love the way Taylor protects the ball but we are so limited with him. Defenses don't have to worry about the middle of the field and it severely limits what you can do. And there has been no improvement in this area at all. I just want to finally have qb where the game isn't over when you fall behind.

As for Bortles, he has some very EJ like qualities. Last year was pumped up by him playing in so much garbage time. But he's a top 5 pick and they will give him another shot with a new regime, a la Tannehill. But congrats to Nate Hackett and Doug Marrone for helping ruin another young qb.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing I think screws up Tyrod is the receivers on those plays he extends. When I watch games from other teams those extended plays usually result in a receiver or 2 being wide open. Our receiving crew isn't doing a good job getting open on those extended plays, that should be a major focus every practice since it's one of his best attributes.

To say TT is better than Mariotta, Cousins or Eli is pretty much nuts. It's cherry picking the stats IMO. Concentrating too much on TD/INT ration I think. I'm not a TT hater, I think he's slightly better than average but that would improve if we focused our offense more on his strengths more.

So what he doesn't pass to them.

@Andy_Benoit

A QB could go to the Pro Bowl every year if he made half the throws that Tyrod Taylor leaves out on the field each week.

Go ahead and tell me he's better than Cousins, Eli, and Jameis again. Unreal, Hot hot garbage.

bla bla bla

like I said.....dont hold onto the bone too hard when the numbers start changing

Why would they change ? Because we are playing the Jaguars? He was at 216 ypg last year.

He is a qb who struggles to pass. Maybe he can have a good year like Kordell Stewart did.

bla bla bla

like I said.....dont hold onto the bone too hard when the numbers start changing

Bla bla bla. Guy that tweeted that is unbiased and works for sports illustrated. Your blind optimism is better.

Edited by Ryan L Billz

QB Index: Who are the franchise quarterbacks?

Gregg Rosenthal takes stock of the ENTIRE QB picture, from Tom Brady to Tom Savage. Is Matthew Stafford a franchise player? Why isn't Dak Prescott getting more hype? Plus, in-season rankings.

Is he or isn't he? Tyrod Taylor, Sam Bradford, Ryan Tannehill

All three quarterbacks are playing well at the moment -- but none of these three has done quite enough to inspire boundless faith that he can lead his team to the promised land. This is always the trickiest type of quarterback to handle. Teams can wind up spinning wheels for close to a decade with a guy like Jay Cutler, comfortable in the knowledge that he's better than plenty of other options. How high are their ceilings? The tools are there for all three players to have Stafford-like mid-career revelations.

2016 QB Index Rankings

16) Tyrod Taylor, Buffalo Bills (LW: 16)

ESPN QB Confidence Index: Washington, Detroit Rising
Kirk Cousins has eight TD passes and no INTs in his past three games. Matthew Stafford has just one interception since Oct. 2. Here's how all 32 teams should feel about their QB depth.

22. Buffalo Bills

QB Confidence Index: 6.5 | November rating: 5.0

The Bills continue to profess confidence in Tyrod Taylor at every turn, even as the wider world struggles to accept him as a legitimate NFL starter. If Buffalo can keep Sammy Watkins healthy the rest of the way, perhaps that will give Taylor a chance to dazzle some of his doubters. But he's 12th in Total QBR, so he's doing something right.

QB Index: Who are the franchise quarterbacks?

Is he or isn't he? Tyrod Taylor, Sam Bradford, Ryan Tannehill

All three quarterbacks are playing well at the moment -- but none of these three has done quite enough to inspire boundless faith that he can lead his team to the promised land. This is always the trickiest type of quarterback to handle. Teams can wind up spinning wheels for close to a decade with a guy like Jay Cutler, comfortable in the knowledge that he's better than plenty of other options. How high are their ceilings? The tools are there for all three players to have Stafford-like mid-career revelations.

2016 QB Index Rankings

16) Tyrod Taylor, Buffalo Bills (LW: 16)

Tannehill has been a starter now for 5 years. He has started 75 games. Bradford has started 73 games. Tyrod has started 25 games.

I get that Tyrod has been in the league just as long. But its apples to oranges.

Tannehill has been a starter now for 5 years. He has started 75 games. Bradford has started 73 games. Tyrod has started 25 games.

I get that Tyrod has been in the league just as long. But its apples to oranges.

and none of them are a top banana, in other words move on before they spoil.

One thing I think screws up Tyrod is the receivers on those plays he extends. When I watch games from other teams those extended plays usually result in a receiver or 2 being wide open. Our receiving crew isn't doing a good job getting open on those extended plays, that should be a major focus every practice since it's one of his best attributes.

To say TT is better than Mariotta, Cousins or Eli is pretty much nuts. It's cherry picking the stats IMO. Concentrating too much on TD/INT ration I think. I'm not a TT hater, I think he's slightly better than average but that would improve if we focused our offense more on his strengths more.

Scramble drill - move with the QB, and back towards the ball... not that difficult

QB Index: Young gun vs. Old faithful for MVP?
Derek Carr is an emerging star. Tom Brady is already one of the greatest of all time. Gregg Rosenthal lauds both MVP candidates, studies Cam Newton's uneven career and ranks all 32 starting QBs.

Middle of the pack

18) Tyrod Taylor, Buffalo Bills (LW: 16)

Taylor's game in Oakland showed his brilliance and his limitations. The Bills have the No. 1 rushing attack and never turn the ball over, but Taylor can't seem to make a play in the passing game when the team absolutely needs it. He hasn't broken his tendency to leave a clean pocket. The game reminded me so much of Buffalo's loss in Philly last year where Taylor's late inaccuracy essentially ended the team's playoff hopes.

QB Index: Young gun vs. Old faithful for MVP?

Middle of the pack

18) Tyrod Taylor, Buffalo Bills (LW: 16)

Taylor's game in Oakland showed his brilliance and his limitations. The Bills have the No. 1 rushing attack and never turn the ball over, but Taylor can't seem to make a play in the passing game when the team absolutely needs it. He hasn't broken his tendency to leave a clean pocket. The game reminded me so much of Buffalo's loss in Philly last year where Taylor's late inaccuracy essentially ended the team's playoff hopes.

Yeah, the late part of the Philly game is a good comparison.

@NFLonFOX

Each week this season we're ranking the NFL's starting QBs. Check out our Week 14 lineup below: https://t.co/C1RUeUhN1t

20 Tyrod Taylor, Bills

Taylor was testy this week when asked about his contract, but face it: With the worst passing attack in the league, Buffalo is not picking up his $27 million option for next season. If he wants a new deal and another shot at starting for the Bills, he’d better bounce back from last week’s loss at Oakland on Sunday at Pittsburgh.

Last week: 20

2016: 60.6%, 191 ypg, 11-5 TD/INT, 84.6 rating

The 2017 quarterback market: Who'll be available?
In his QB Index, Gregg Rosenthal identifies quarterbacks who could be available in the coming offseason, including Tyrod Taylor, Tony Romo and Jimmy Garoppolo. Plus, updated QB rankings.

Tyrod Taylor, Buffalo Bills: He's a goner from the Bills -- if you believe the local coverage or consider that Rex Ryan was initially noncommittal about even starting Taylor in Week 15. Then again, Tyrod might just outlast Rex and/or general manager Doug Whaley in Buffalo.

It's impossible to project whether Taylor will be back when his coach and GM are uncertain. His contract has a monstrous option for 2017 that would essentially guarantee Taylor $40.5 million for the next two seasons. Moving forward, that actually should be the going rate for a mid-level starter with upside -- and that's what Taylor represents. While it's been frustrating to see the Bills fail to expand their passing game, Taylor has defined strengths with his vertical throws and exceptional running. He's also extremely careful with the ball. Put Tyrod with Rex's early Jets defenses, and you'd have a Super Bowl contender. (Rex has been chasing the ghosts of those defenses for six years now.)

In this market, with the salary cap rising exponentially, Taylor's contract can still be an asset. It would not be a surprise if some organization, even if it's not the Bills, wants to pay him that money. Sam Bradford is an instructive precedent again. Taylor would make plenty of teams better. Buffalo has until the third day of the league year to exercise the $15.5 bonus in Taylor's contract, so there is time to assess the market. If the Bills strike out on a possible trade, Taylor could fit in the category below as a candidate for release.

2016 QB Index Rankings: Week 15

19) Tyrod Taylor, Buffalo Bills (LW: 18)

The 2017 quarterback market: Who'll be available?

Tyrod Taylor, Buffalo Bills: He's a goner from the Bills -- if you believe the local coverage or consider that Rex Ryan was initially noncommittal about even starting Taylor in Week 15. Then again, Tyrod might just outlast Rex and/or general manager Doug Whaley in Buffalo.

It's impossible to project whether Taylor will be back when his coach and GM are uncertain. His contract has a monstrous option for 2017 that would essentially guarantee Taylor $40.5 million for the next two seasons. Moving forward, that actually should be the going rate for a mid-level starter with upside -- and that's what Taylor represents. While it's been frustrating to see the Bills fail to expand their passing game, Taylor has defined strengths with his vertical throws and exceptional running. He's also extremely careful with the ball. Put Tyrod with Rex's early Jets defenses, and you'd have a Super Bowl contender. (Rex has been chasing the ghosts of those defenses for six years now.)

In this market, with the salary cap rising exponentially, Taylor's contract can still be an asset. It would not be a surprise if some organization, even if it's not the Bills, wants to pay him that money. Sam Bradford is an instructive precedent again. Taylor would make plenty of teams better. Buffalo has until the third day of the league year to exercise the $15.5 bonus in Taylor's contract, so there is time to assess the market. If the Bills strike out on a possible trade, Taylor could fit in the category below as a candidate for release.

2016 QB Index Rankings: Week 15

19) Tyrod Taylor, Buffalo Bills (LW: 18)

Very true. Then again, put Mark Sanchez with Rex's early Jets' defenses and you did have a Super Bowl contender. So why pay Tyrod essentially $20 million per year over the next two years? Hey, Mark Sanchez should be available! Seriously though, Rosenthal is absolutely correct - Rex is now the guy who thinks he's just a player away or a new blitz scheme away from having a dominant defense again, when all of the evidence points to the contrary.

and none of them are a top banana, in other words move on before they spoil.

The correct answer is to buy bananas often.......don't be a banana cheapskate.

I would not be opposed in THE LEAST to Tyrod being back if he has competition.

It can get much worse than the productivity the Bills are getting on offense now. It actually can.

If Cardale or another talented QB steps into the starting role then Tyrod would likely become the most dynamic backup QB in the league when he is put into the game.

The Bills have had flawed QB's get figured out before.......to a greater extent than Tyrod......who is basically the same player he was last year just with less receiving weapons...........and opponents got amnesia real quick about how to defend guys like Flutie and Fitz when they weren't starting for a while. Simply not enough time in the week to gameplan for multiple contrasting styles.

Help wanted! Teams in need of a new QB
How will the Jaguars recover from Blake Bortles' collapse? Are the Bears really done with Jay Cutler? Where do the Browns turn after RGIII? Gregg Rosenthal lists teams in need of a new QB

Work to do

Buffalo Bills: Change is expected in Buffalo. Whether it's coming at quarterback, coach or GM, only the Pegula family knows. If the 2017 Bills regime doesn't want to pay Tyrod Taylor franchise-quarterback money, he could be available in a potential trade. That would leave the Bills starting over at the position yet again, with former first-rounder EJ Manuel also likely on the way out. Fourth-round pick Cardale Jones looked like a project in the preseason.

2016 QB Index Rankings: Week 16

18) Tyrod Taylor, Buffalo Bills (LW: 19)

QB Index: Who is the cream of the MVP crop?
In one of the tightest MVP races in memory, Matt Ryan, Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers are all in the mix. How do those three -- and the other 29 QBs -- stack up entering Week 17? Gregg Rosenthal ranks 'em.

Middle men

18) Tyrod Taylor, Buffalo Bills (LW: 18)

The timing of Tyrod Taylor's benching is ridiculous and bizarre. He's coming off perhaps his best career game and one of the greatest offensive games in Bills history (589 yards!). No one should blame Rex Ryan for insisting on playing the team's best quarterback, even if it cost him his job.