Smart TV advice

PromoTheRobot

Had to replace my set recently. First bought a Sharp Roku TV. Picture was okay but I loved the Roku interface. But we went back to Best Buy and got talked into upgrading to a Vizio 4K Chromecast set.

It's almost lying to call this a smart TV. There are no apps. It's requires your phone, tablet or laptop to be the source material.

Okay, took a while to wrap my head around that concept but apps like HBO Go worked and looked fantastic on the set. So far very pleased.

But then I start finding out that stuff I watch like NHL.tv and the NFL app block Chromecast. So now I'm like WTF.

I can still take the set back. Can anyone share their thoughts and experiences? I want a good picture plus the flexibility of getting web content how and when I want. Any thoughts comparing Roku to Amazon Fire stick or Samsung smart TV?

Edited by PromoTheRobot

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN55KU6500-Curved-55-Inch-Ultra/dp/B01E6BJRXE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1475689313&sr=8-1&keywords=samsung+55+inch+4k+curved

We bought this on Amazon Prime day a few months ago. Absolutely love it. Picture is fantastic and number of apps is great as well. Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, YouTube, MLB.TV, as well as an internet browser and plenty more apps. It does NOT have Watch ESPN but I have an older gen Apple TV so it's not a huge issue.

I'd recommend installing LED light tape to the back of the TV. It really brightens up the TV and doesn't hurt your eyes.

NHL.tv is going to support Chromecast this year: https://subscribe.nhl.com/devices

It's up to each content provider to support Chromecast, and more and more providers are rolling out Chromecast support. I'd personally prefer to use Chromecast over any of the other "Smart TV" platforms. Most of them are pretty ****ty, and none of the other ones are going to support things like NHL.tv.

I'm pumped to buy the 4k Chromecast Ultra that Google just announced, and I preordered my Google Home so I can control all my Chromecasts via Google's version of Amazon Echo.

Edited by Chilly

Rather than start a new thread, my problem has to do with Smart TV's as well (or so I've been told):

I have Directv and NFL Sunday Ticket. My cell phone is AT&T. It is an iPhone 5s. When I signed up for my Directv renewal, I told the customer service rep I wanted to be able to watch games at other locations where there was no internet or satellite tv. In other words, I wanted to be able to watch Bills games out in the middle of the woods if I wanted to. She said "Oh, that's not a problem...you can watch the games on your phone and it doesn't require internet. It will use data."

I also told her I may want to "mirror" the game from my phone onto a tv (once again, where there is no internet or satellite). She said all you need is an HDMI cable adapter and you can mirror the Bills games from your phone onto the tv via the HDMI cable (HDMI goes into adapter, HDMI adapter plugs into iPhone and other end of HDMI goes into the TV HDMI port). I have tried a couple times just with live TV (like a Saturday ESPN college game) and it projects the audio but no video. Then, just to make sure my phone wasn't all screwed up, I tried to mirror Netflix shows on the TV and there was no problem.

So it appears Directv either has some restriction on "mirroring" NFL or live tv from a phone via the Directv app onto a Samsung tv (about 5 years old) or I am doing something wrong.

The Directv person suggested I go buy a "smart tv"...I don't want to buy a Smart TV if that isn't the problem. It would seem I should be able to mirror live tv (and NFL ticket games) to my existing tv.

Any suggestions? Does a Smart TV really offer some other technology that would allow the mirroring of a live football game from my iPhone?

I'd recommend installing LED light tape to the back of the TV. It really brightens up the TV and doesn't hurt your eyes.

You have to explain that to me.

NHL.tv is going to support Chromecast this year: https://subscribe.nhl.com/devices

It's up to each content provider to support Chromecast, and more and more providers are rolling out Chromecast support. I'd personally prefer to use Chromecast over any of the other "Smart TV" platforms. Most of them are pretty ****ty, and none of the other ones are going to support things like NHL.tv.

I'm pumped to buy the 4k Chromecast Ultra that Google just announced, and I preordered my Google Home so I can control all my Chromecasts via Google's version of Amazon Echo.

I'm P.O.'d that my Verizon NFL app won't allow Chromecast but the Sunday Ticket app does.

Had to replace my set recently. First bought a Sharp Roku TV. Picture was okay but I loved the Roku interface. But we went back to Best Buy and got talked into upgrading to a Vizio 4K Chromecast set.

It's almost lying to call this a smart TV. There are no apps. It's requires your phone, tablet or laptop to be the source material.

Okay, took a while to wrap my head around that concept but apps like HBO Go worked and looked fantastic on the set. So far very pleased.

But then I start finding out that stuff I watch like NHL.tv and the NFL app block Chromecast. So now I'm like WTF.

I can still take the set back. Can anyone share their thoughts and experiences? I want a good picture plus the flexibility of getting web content how and when I want. Any thoughts comparing Roku to Amazon Fire stick or Samsung smart TV?

I have the Amazon fire stick and it works very well. Super fast and responsive. And it has an app for NFL Sunday ticket. That's how I watch Bills games. No complaints at all. I've used a smart blu ray player before too. That worked ok, but the Fire Stick works much better.

I'm P.O.'d that my Verizon NFL app won't allow Chromecast but the Sunday Ticket app does.

Unfortunately that means whoever develops the Verizon NFL App hasn't added Chromecast support. Google allows anyone in the world to add Chromecast support to their app pretty easily, but not everyone that should do it has done it. :(

Unfortunately that means whoever develops the Verizon NFL App hasn't added Chromecast support. Google allows anyone in the world to add Chromecast support to their app pretty easily, but not everyone that should do it has done it. :(

I read Verizon is who is preventing it.

When did TV's start having apps?

Several years ago.

I bought a Vizio 55' with Yahoo apps 5 years ago. TV still runs fine but Snort (a Network Intrusion Prevention System that I run on my home network) alerted me to a Network Trojan about 2 years ago. Tracked it down and it looks like the Yahoo apps is trying to phone home something to Mommy. Needless to say my Smart TV is no longer connected to Wifi

Get a Roku or set up Kodi on a Raspberry Pi instead. More secure and upgradable in the future.

Several years ago.

I bought a Vizio 55' with Yahoo apps 5 years ago. TV still runs fine but Snort (a Network Intrusion Prevention System that I run on my home network) alerted me to a Network Trojan about 2 years ago. Tracked it down and it looks like the Yahoo apps is trying to phone home something to Mommy. Needless to say my Smart TV is no longer connected to Wifi

Get a Roku or set up Kodi on a Raspberry Pi instead. More secure and upgradable in the future.

Or get a standalone FireTV. I think that's what I'm gonna replace my fireTV stick with.

Rather than start a new thread, my problem has to do with Smart TV's as well (or so I've been told):

I have Directv and NFL Sunday Ticket. My cell phone is AT&T. It is an iPhone 5s. When I signed up for my Directv renewal, I told the customer service rep I wanted to be able to watch games at other locations where there was no internet or satellite tv. In other words, I wanted to be able to watch Bills games out in the middle of the woods if I wanted to. She said "Oh, that's not a problem...you can watch the games on your phone and it doesn't require internet. It will use data."

I also told her I may want to "mirror" the game from my phone onto a tv (once again, where there is no internet or satellite). She said all you need is an HDMI cable adapter and you can mirror the Bills games from your phone onto the tv via the HDMI cable (HDMI goes into adapter, HDMI adapter plugs into iPhone and other end of HDMI goes into the TV HDMI port). I have tried a couple times just with live TV (like a Saturday ESPN college game) and it projects the audio but no video. Then, just to make sure my phone wasn't all screwed up, I tried to mirror Netflix shows on the TV and there was no problem.

So it appears Directv either has some restriction on "mirroring" NFL or live tv from a phone via the Directv app onto a Samsung tv (about 5 years old) or I am doing something wrong.

The Directv person suggested I go buy a "smart tv"...I don't want to buy a Smart TV if that isn't the problem. It would seem I should be able to mirror live tv (and NFL ticket games) to my existing tv.

Any suggestions? Does a Smart TV really offer some other technology that would allow the mirroring of a live football game from my iPhone?

Apple TV will let you mirror from your phone thru bluetooth as long as you have an iPhone. You can find it online for less than $50

You have to explain that to me.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BKU7B7I/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UR321B6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That's what I have. It works pretty well for cheap.

Apple TV will let you mirror from your phone thru bluetooth as long as you have an iPhone. You can find it online for less than $50

Thanks Woody. Just to be clear...the Appletv thingy doesn't require my Samsung tv to be hooked up to cable, wifi, internet, satellite, etc. All the Appletv requires is use of my iPhone data? Like I said, I'm out in the middle of nowhere (our camp)

Thanks Woody. Just to be clear...the Appletv thingy doesn't require my Samsung tv to be hooked up to cable, wifi, internet, satellite, etc. All the Appletv requires is use of my iPhone data? Like I said, I'm out in the middle of nowhere (our camp)

Shoot, it might actually be through the Wi-Fi. Sorry, I was wrong about bluetooth.

I bought a new Samsung last December and have been very happy. I added the MLBatbat app this spring and was able to watch all the Orioles games with their announcers unless the Yanks or Mets were playing them. Also use the HBO to go and Crackle app quit a bit with no issues.

Is there any tv that doesn't have at least some form of the "smart" stuff now? I've been shopping around for a 60 inch lately and I don't remember seeing a single one without it. I'll be hooked up to a PS4, so I don't really care about all those bells and whistles.