Tracking the defense...

GunnerBill

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After week 11:

Yards per game allowed: Rank - 12th (Up 2)
Pass YPG allowed: Rank - 11th (unchanged)

Rush YPG allowed: Rank - 20th (unchanged)
Points per game allowed: Rank - 12th (Up 1)

3rd down %: Rank - 19th (Down 7)
Sacks: Rank - 1st (unchanged)
Takeaways: Rank - 14th (Down 2)

Points Per Drive: Rank - 18th (unchanged)
% of drives ending in scores: Rank - 18th (Up 4)

Edited by GunnerBill

The Defense has shown glimpses of being pretty darn good. We need Dareus to stay on the field, Shaq to progress, and Gilmore/Darby to continue to step up their game. KW and Brown are having awesome years.

Glimpses...so are we fully pregnant yet? Maybe he's good, maybe he's not. What sucks is it's gonna take 3yrs to figure it out. Maybe we're "due" next year. Maybe.

After week 12:

Yards per game allowed: Rank - 10th (Up 2)
Pass YPG allowed: Rank - 8th (Up 3)

Rush YPG allowed: Rank - 21th (Down 1)
Points per game allowed: Rank - 12th (unchanged)

3rd down %: Rank - 21th (Down 2)
Sacks: Rank - 2nd (Down 1)
Takeaways: Rank - 14th (unchanged)

Points Per Drive: Rank - 17th (Up 1)
% of drives ending in scores: Rank - 17th (Up 1)

Overall a solid week, but we have dropped NINE places in two weeks in 3rd down percentage. That is a worry going into two tough games against good offenses (of which we must win at least one to stay alive). For information Oakland's offense is 17th in 3rd down conversions - one ahead of Buffalo - Pittsburgh is 11th.

After week 12:

Yards per game allowed: Rank - 10th (Up 2)

Pass YPG allowed: Rank - 8th (Up 3)

Rush YPG allowed: Rank - 21th (Down 1)

Points per game allowed: Rank - 12th (unchanged)

3rd down %: Rank - 21th (Down 2)

Sacks: Rank - 2nd (Down 1)

Takeaways: Rank - 14th (unchanged)

Points Per Drive: Rank - 17th (Up 1)

% of drives ending in scores: Rank - 17th (Up 1)

Overall a solid week, but we have dropped NINE places in two weeks in 3rd down percentage. That is a worry going into two tough games against good offenses (of which we must win at least one to stay alive). For information Oakland's offense is 17th in 3rd down conversions - one ahead of Buffalo - Pittsburgh is 11th.

Red Zone defense is also struggling of late. Definitely a concern heading into the next two games against potent offenses.

Glimpses...so are we fully pregnant yet? Maybe he's good, maybe he's not. What sucks is it's gonna take 3yrs to figure it out. Maybe we're "due" next year. Maybe.

Its not black and white. Its not a yes/no. It rarely ever is. The defense has been above average overall. Still room for improvement. Same with the offense and the rest of the team.

Red Zone defense is also struggling of late. Definitely a concern heading into the next two games against potent offenses.

I agree.

"The Bills' red zone defense, which ranked first in the NFL over the first seven weeks of the season, has plummeted to 32nd in the NFL over the past five weeks. Buffalo has allowed opponents to score on 11 of their past 12 trips inside the 20-yard line, including both of the Jaguars' trips on Sunday.

"Right now, we can't stop anybody," coach Rex Ryan said of his red zone defense after the game, noting that not every player was playing the correct defensive playcall on one of Jacksonville's touchdowns."

Its not black and white. Its not a yes/no. It rarely ever is. The defense has been above average overall. Still room for improvement. Same with the offense and the rest of the team.

I agree.

"The Bills' red zone defense, which ranked first in the NFL over the first seven weeks of the season, has plummeted to 32nd in the NFL over the past five weeks. Buffalo has allowed opponents to score on 11 of their past 12 trips inside the 20-yard line, including both of the Jaguars' trips on Sunday.

"Right now, we can't stop anybody," coach Rex Ryan said of his red zone defense after the game, noting that not every player was playing the correct defensive playcall on one of Jacksonville's touchdowns."

Hmmm...week 7. Something changed then.

Can't quite put my finger on what it was...

Any ideas..?

o9gwUBu.jpg

Hmmm...week 7. Something changed then.

Can't quite put my finger on what it was...

Any ideas..?

o9gwUBu.jpg

I think you are not far off. Major factor but cant be the complete reason from #1 to dead last. Part of it can be impossible plays to defend (think of the TDs by Graham in the Hawks game). Part of it can be combined piss poor play from DB. Part of it can be players that overperformed early have come back down a bit (lorax, brown).

I think you are not far off. Major factor but cant be the complete reason from #1 to dead last. Part of it can be impossible plays to defend (think of the TDs by Graham in the Hawks game). Part of it can be combined piss poor play from DB. Part of it can be players that overperformed early have come back down a bit (lorax, brown).

Yes x 4

Or you could just go with the ScottLaw explanation:

1.) coaching

2.) ibid

No, it was very much the reason we lost to Baltimore and Miami. That hasn't change.

I agree that the Baltimore game was a complete abomination on offense (though I never expected Baltimore to be a top 3 defense now). No excuse there.

However, when we scored that quick TD in that Miami game with the bomb to Goodwin to take the lead and the Dolphins come right back and slam it down our throats to counter, it was a kick to the nuts. To me that was the turning point of the game. If the defense would've held the Dolphins there in the following drive, the momentum wouldn't have turned as dramatically. That's just my opinion.

I agree that the Baltimore game was a complete abomination on offense (though I never expected Baltimore to be a top 3 defense now). No excuse there.

However, when we scored that quick TD in that Miami game with the bomb to Goodwin to take the lead and the Dolphins come right back and slam it down our throats to counter, it was a kick to the nuts. To me that was the turning point of the game. If the defense would've held the Dolphins there in the following drive, the momentum wouldn't have turned as dramatically. That's just my opinion.

eJTw7AF.png

the offense ran 19 second half plays up until the 2:24 mark.

19 plays. On six drives.

On an 80 degree day in Miami when they were running the ball effectively.

The notion that any of this had no impact on the defense is baffling, to say the least.

I'm not saying it didn't have an impact BigCat, of course it did. But at the end of the day the Bills put up 25 points on the road against a Miami team that up to that point had been bad. I honestly think the offense can't be blamed for that loss. The ravens, yes. The dolphins, no. The dolphins had no business running the ball on us like they did. It is what it is, I feel that the defense and Rex will redeem themselves when the Fins come back to Buffalo.

I'm not saying it didn't have an impact BigCat, of course it did. But at the end of the day the Bills put up 25 points on the road against a Miami team that up to that point had been bad. I honestly think the offense can't be blamed for that loss. The ravens, yes. The dolphins, no. The dolphins had no business running the ball on us like they did. It is what it is, I feel that the defense and Rex will redeem themselves when the Fins come back to Buffalo.

When you're up in the fourth quarter you run to put the game away. They couldn't.

Would it surprise you to find out that against Baltimore they ran for 65 yards and against Miami 67?