Hurricane Matthew -Pray for our Nations Finest at GITMO

I live just north of Orlando, and they are talking about winds from 60-80 mph this far inland, and total devastation for the entire east coast of Florida.

I've lived in Florida nearly my whole life(30+ years), and I have never been so concerned about a storm.

Our biggest concern inland will be wind damage and large power outages...people on the coast could lose everything.

Keep us Florida Bills fans in mind over the next 48 hours or so.

My brother-in-law is evacuating his coastal home today and going up to Ocala... I am not sure that is far enough, but it is higher ground by almost a 100 feet... Like my previous link, Okeechobee goes and things won't go good. Been a year of high water. I was @ one of work sites on the Okeechobee Waterway and they were running some serious water... Lake is still very high, not much room to give. That area is so much more populated nowadays! The area is like having a giant waterbed burst on the second floor if it can't stay within the banks of the dike and diversion channels.

I am hearing they asked millions to evacuate and only a couple 100 thousand did so far. People knew this was coming for over a week now!

Stay safe!

EDIT: Just looked @ updated storm track, looks like it will hook back... Coast will get battered if it doesn't clear out.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Taking the Jeep to Wilmington Friday. Woohoo. At least if my friend goes and her cousin let's us stay there.

Dude. !@#$ this hurricane. !@#$ them all in the eye.

Here in the Piedmont we won't see much of anything. It'll just mean really nice weather as the high pressure helps make it perfect conditions.

Family is ready, hunkered down in our house that is built to the highest standard (should withstand 140Mph winds) Shutters closed entire house generator fueled and ready to fire up, along with a ton of fuel. Bathtubs filled with "Cooking Water" and 17,000+ gallons of cleaning water (Pool) ready to use. So they are as ready as they can be.

Family is ready, hunkered down in our house that is built to the highest standard (should withstand 140Mph winds) Shutters closed entire house generator fueled and ready to fire up, along with a ton of fuel. Bathtubs filled with "Cooking Water" and 17,000+ gallons of cleaning water (Pool) ready to use. So they are as ready as they can be.

Can never have too much water and ice... Fill your washing machine (if top loader) & stationary tub up too... You won't be doing any wash... Unplug machines that can become wet. Shut icemaker off too if boil order... You might forget and don't want it to be the "gift that keeps on giving."

Stay well my friend!

Taking the Jeep to Wilmington Friday. Woohoo. At least if my friend goes and her cousin let's us stay there.

Dude. !@#$ this hurricane. !@#$ them all in the eye.

Here in the Piedmont we won't see much of anything. It'll just mean really nice weather as the high pressure helps make it perfect conditions.

This one is hooking back. I wonder what the dieing remnants of a "Tropical Storm Matthew" will do for coastal clean-up?

That hurricane looks like it will go up the coast then curl back around right now...

I was pretty sure it would veer farther east than predicted (as it wasn't going to bull through the stationary front off the coast.) But the loop through all points of the compass they're predicting now seems like overkill.

NHC needs to look up from their models occasionally and check a surface map.

Can never have too much water and ice... Fill your washing machine (if top loader) & stationary tub up too... You won't be doing any wash... Unplug machines that can become wet. Shut icemaker off too if boil order... You might forget and don't want it to be the "gift that keeps on giving."

Stay well my friend!

This one is hooking back. I wonder what the dieing remnants of a "Tropical Storm Matthew" will do for coastal clean-up?

If it hooks back, it won't be "remnants." It'll maintain or gain strength over the Gulf Stream, and probably move back north/west as a category 2 or so.

We lived in Sarasota, FL for 18 years, and Hilton Head Island, SC for12 before that. You learn that category 1 or 2 is mostly a nuisance. Category 4? Get the hell out of town! Hugo missed HHI, but made a SERIOUS mess in Charleston, SC and all the way up through Charlotte. We were forced to evacuate HHI with everything important to us and went to the in-laws just south of Charlotte. Had a tree come into the kitchen and another on my car. They were about 6 weeks without water at their house. When I got back to HHI i realized we were on the south side of the eye (where you want to be on the east coast) and barely a pine cone had dropped.

Best of luck to everyone in the path!!!

Here we go!

Looks like the inland areas where I am located may see lesser impacts than expected. Lets hope they are right. 50-60 mph gusts instead of the 70-90 mph winds originally predicted for the Orlando area.

The worst impacts will still be on the immediate east coast.....good luck to all of us Florida Bills fans in the path of the storm, and everyone in Florida for that matter.

Edited by Special K

Can never have too much water and ice... Fill your washing machine (if top loader)

WTF dude. They are going to need water. Why get all "green" and only fill a top loader? Why not fill any type of washer? Should they only use LED flashlights too? Geez.

WTF dude. They are going to need water. Why get all "green" and only fill a top loader? Why not fill any type of washer? Should they only use LED flashlights too? Geez.

Oops my bad... He he... Sorry for the subconscious agenda here.

I was getting wrong advice.

http://www.popsci.com/dont-take-weather-advice-from-matt-drudge

Just heard from a buddy who rode out the storm at his house in West Palm. He said he just lost power a few hours ago.

Seems like as you go south, things fair better.

Talked to my sister last night from where she was working in Port St.Lucie (or near, not sure where she works, but close to home)... Called on hospital landline. They had to move all patients (60 stayed) from one wing to another wing... The one area was leaking. :-/

Haven't heard since.

Here we go!

Looks like the inland areas where I am located may see lesser impacts than expected. Lets hope they are right. 50-60 mph gusts instead of the 70-90 mph winds originally predicted for the Orlando area.

The worst impacts will still be on the immediate east coast.....good luck to all of us Florida Bills fans in the path of the storm, and everyone in Florida for that matter.

They said this was only the 4th time in history that Disney World closed.

Now.... High tide is @ roughly 13:00-14:00, timing could be everything further north from JAX and around the GA bend, or if it is (or was) staying just a few miles off shore and "scraping" coast, the eyewall is bound to hit somewhere when it makes the coastal bend.

Got a text from my sister this am - where they are in Jax they still have power. Parents live in the Ocala area (The Villages). Dad said that they had rain / wind, but nothing to be alarmed about.

Address to Jax Pier web cam - http://voidlive.com/jax-pier-surf-cam/ I've checked it a couple of times this morning and the waves have not reached the decking of the pier. High tide in Jax area is about noon. See what happens then.

Edited by BuffaloBud

Got a text from my sister this am - where they are in Jax they still have power. Parents live in the Ocala area (The Villages). Dad said that they had rain / wind, but nothing to be alarmed about.

Address to Jax Pier web cam - http://voidlive.com/jax-pier-surf-cam/ I've checked it a couple of times this morning and the waves have not reached the decking of the pier. High tide in Jax area is about noon. See what happens then.

JAX maybe a concern, large and many were not leaving. Making landfall with the eyewall is where the big crap is. The mayor was on pleading people to leave by midnight. CNN was driving around and many places had stuff out, not secured, etc. People were home, lights on. What they were doing, who knows? I'd be like: "Gee, hey neighbor, thanks for securing all your schit that can fly around and take out a first responder!"