Tyrod's development

Luxy312

Tyrod is 10-8 as a starter for the Bills. Key wins vs Texans and Jets (final game) last year. Key wins vs Pats and Cardinals this year.

He has played numerous games without his #1RB or #1WR, and some games with both out.

He led all QB's in rushing last season. Bills led the league in plays +20yds.

He has looked more poised playing this year since Lynn has taken over. One thing that surprised me warching the game this week was when the commentators mentioned how TT is given more freedom to change plays under Lynn than with Roman. Still shaky at times in intermediate throws.

I think hes progressing nicely overall.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's such a tricky part of the conversation. What is a "solid" NFL starter worth? To date, it feels like anyone in that category is paid like the elite. I don't know the answer.

We're not the only team facing this dilemma. Washington is mulling over that same issue with Kirk Cousins. There are intervals when he plays like Brees and then there are interval when plays like a pedestrian qb that you can easily procure off of the leftover market.

Is the Elway approach the best approach where you don't look at the issue as a necessity for you but instead you make a talent assessment and you pay market rate for the talent level? Elway took a stand on Brockweiller and was not going to reach from a contract standpoint. It takes a lot of fortitude to take that more clinical approach yet it was a sensible approach to take because his team was built to accentuate the defense.

I'm a stanch supporter of TT. I realize that he has some major assets with his exceptional mobility and a talent for making beautiful long passes. But on the other side of the ledger I don't see him ever having impeccable accuracy and the ability to make the progressive reads that differentiate the very good qbs from the average to solid qbs.

Using a first or second round pick on a QB isn't a good idea?

In what world?

The QB position is by far the most important one on the field. Tyrods been about average. That ain't going to cut it in today's NFL unless your defense is lights out as ours has been for 3 of 4 games.

Im all for drafting a QB as well in whatever round. 1. Injuries happen. 2. TT isnt a big guy. 3. Competition cant hurt.

Best time to find a QB is when you already have a QB. Make no mistake I feel TT is the right guy, but the more the merrier.

He proved yesterday that he can scan the field when he has blocking up front. I haven't really noticed that previously. We need to keep protecting him and watch him grow as an NFL quarterback.

I don't want to jinx it, but he's had excellent protection all year. Both NE*** sacks yesterday were cheap in that if TT gains another yard or two on his scramble out of bounds, it doesn't go down as a sack.

Im all for drafting a QB as well in whatever round. 1. Injuries happen. 2. TT isnt a big guy. 3. Competition cant hurt.

Best time to find a QB is when you already have a QB. Make no mistake I feel TT is the right guy, but the more the merrier.

are you one of the ones ready to start Cardale two weeks ago.

Naw it wasn't you but plenty were. Some think C Jones has the upside and drafted in the 4th.

I think he is perfect example of drafting QBs each season. Especially when you have one already.

Tyrod had me on the ropes against the Jets. I have done a 180 in just two weeks.

He is going to keep improving in this situation.

Go Bills !

I don't want to jinx it, but he's had excellent protection all year. Both NE*** sacks yesterday were cheap in that if TT gains another yard or two on his scramble out of bounds, it doesn't go down as a sack.

At least one of them he should have just tossed it OB right before he got there. They basically had no sacks, you're right.

At least one of them he should have just tossed it OB right before he got there. They basically had no sacks, you're right.

It was only a yard or two, but I was yelling about that. Ask my neighbors...

Using a first or second round pick on a QB isn't a good idea?

In what world?

The QB position is by far the most important one on the field. Tyrods been about average. That ain't going to cut it in today's NFL unless your defense is lights out as ours has been for 3 of 4 games.

I like Tyrod for the time being. But sorry, I want something better and I wouldn't be afraid to pull the trigger on one in the first. Wouldn't hesitate one bit.

Translation.....to B word at TT after he had a good game would make me look stupid....but with any kind of luck Tyrod will have a BAD game so I can start in on him again

Here is to hoping Tyrod does not give you that opportunity

Do you notice who we are rolling out there as pass catcher's for this team? Those 1st and 2nd round picks should be used on WEAPONS

yes

Im sorry....its just after a win (actually 2 in a row) I really feel that chasing that unicorn and downplaying a good qb which we actually have on the roster is misplaced.

Is that eloquent enough for you? yesterday Tyrod did exactly what we needed to to win

Over 250 yards

No turnovers

Accurate

Converted 3rd downs

BB and the patriots defense would destroy any new shiny toy that you would like to give up multiple draft picks to get

I agree that he did enough to win, and I'm not complaining about the present - or even "complaining" about the future. But in response to the topic, I just don't think Tyrod's type of play warrants a long-term investment or deserves the same type of trust from the fans, just IMO of course. And thank you for responding.

are you one of the ones ready to start Cardale two weeks ago.

Naw it wasn't you but plenty were. Some think C Jones has the upside and drafted in the 4th.

I think he is perfect example of drafting QBs each season. Especially when you have one already.

Tyrod had me on the ropes against the Jets. I have done a 180 in just two weeks.

He is going to keep improving in this situation.

Go Bills !

Im a huge TT supporter. I want him to flourish. All im saying though is that from a team perspective, we should draft another qb if the right fit is there. Not to replace TT per se. But just in case things go south via injury.

Look how bad the cowboys were last yr when romo went down and look at them this yr. Look at the pats without Brady. The eagles had Bradford and still drafted a QB that looks like the real deal. Broncos have 2young QBs who look like they can play. Etc etc etc.

Or maybe Cardale canbe that #2. Who knows.

Clearly, Lynn simplified the offense and has the offense working to their respective strengths. The offensive line has looked very good in run blocking and pass blocking. The play calls are coming in quickly and the players are executing them well.

The thing is that in the last two games the Bills offense and defense worked well together by getting the lead and allowing both units to do what they do best. For the offense running the ball is what they do best and with a lead in the game, the offense and Tyrod both looked good. Same thing with the defense as once they had a substantial lead they can pin their proverbial ears back and forget about stopping the run while simply getting after that injured rookie QB.

What we have yet to see now is "IF" Tyrod can play from behind and win games with his arm with Lynn at the controls of the offense. This is a big "if" because we already saw that the defense when left out on the field simply melts under the pressure like in that Jets game.

Let's face things that for whatever reasons the Cardinals came into Buffalo with the completely wrong strategy in attempting to do exactly what the NY Jets did with all those deep passes and it burned them. What they should have done is just kept trying to move the chains by throwing to Fitzgerald. The Patriots were starting a somewhat injured rookie 3rd string QB and they couldn't get the offense to work at all.

Once teams get more film on the plays Lynn is calling in the simplified offense it might make things more difficult for the offense to execute the plays. Time will tell if Tyrod can get it done this year when he needs to win games with his arm.

This team still has a tough schedule ahead of them as the Rams are 3-1 and the 49ers under Chip Kelly no longer look like the cakewalk they were last year. Like Rex Ryan said, that run game needs to work to get everything else to work.

Heading into Sunday’s game against the Patriots, Taylor had a new method in determining where he was going with the football.

Offensive coordinator Anthony Lynn encouraged Taylor to focus more on the matchups he was surveying pre-snap, rather than the progression he’d have to go through with his reads on the play. The results were noticeably better in Week 4.

I see so very many threads talking about the wins and losses for this Buffalo team. They also talk about beating the Patriots (long overdue) and the defense. What little I read about is how people feel about Taylor's development. The one thing that I saw today and I'm pretty sure I want to see more of it, is that he's starting to make those middle of the field throws and reads that he wasn't seeing before. This is not a little deal, but a BIG FN deal. Beli-cheat took away the long ball and the short screens and said basically "beat me in the middle". Tyrod up until today was completely incapable of doing that. Now at least we have a work in progress. Mid-game, he was genius. Early and late, reverted to checkdown stuff, but he's making some throws. That, all by itself presents optimism for the season.

He did look better passing over the middle but the check down stuff was a little frustrating

Heading into Sunday’s game against the Patriots, Taylor had a new method in determining where he was going with the football.
Offensive coordinator Anthony Lynn encouraged Taylor to focus more on the matchups he was surveying pre-snap, rather than the progression he’d have to go through with his reads on the play. The results were noticeably better in Week 4.

Wow, coaching. this is new to buffalo.

I think drafting a QB every year is a good idea....I just dont think using your 1st or 2nd round pick is a good idea.

It is interesting that you talk about consistancy.....and then talk about 150 yards

- Nearly 300 yards against the jets, 3 TDS, 1 INT

- 256 yards against the pats, 1 TD

So in 2 of the FOUR games so far this season......over 200 yards passing and only 1 int.

Everyone would like to have a Tom Brady, a Ben R., etc etc

They dont grow on trees

Your not listening to the whole conversation....as usual

Keep telling yourself that chief.

Edited by old school

"Tyord's development.... is still ongoing" Is how that sentence ends.

The good news is, there is nothing to do until the end of the season when we can look back at the complete track record to make a decision. He's made some improvement, but still has a ways to go. Here's to hoping he pulls it out.

Edited by DrDareustein