Rex's "antiquated" Defense

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hate on buddy. His fault Roman and TT couldn't score 13 points.

#blowhard #bufoon # nepotism

Your bitterness tastes sweet.

Not bitter... Not at all... So I'm not sure what you're eating.

But Yes, to your question, the head coach is responsible for the performance of the whole team.

One out of three is an anomaly... Let's start drawing conclusions when we are actually looking at a wining record.

I don't know about antiquated.... Inconsistent absolutely. Go back to last year, they put together great games and than have complete dumpster fire games.

We saw this last year too. Best not to get delerious over one win, at home and against an NFC team that flew in from the west coast. Should the Bills beat the Bradyless Patriots then some delerium can start :D

I'm sold the cardinals aren't as good as advertised.

I agree as the only team they have beaten so far were the 49ers who were getting smoked by the Seahawks 37-3 for most of yesterday.

Young Ryan apparently didn't notice that Rex was able to adjust in between games and supply a productive defense yesterday. i give Rex a ton of credit for seeing his normal schemes were not working and throwing in some changes that utilized our talent with Kyle Williams being the prime example. Here's hoping he doesn't become satisfied with one win and get rigid again. Yes he had 10 days to prep for this and 200+ to prepare for Baltimore so "cash money" defense had a chance to shine. I still find it strange that the OP would describe the Baltimore game as cash money when we got burned on a 66 yard touchdown due to a bad scheme by a WR who probably should be retired already. But that is splitting heirs I guess.

In case anyone is curious about this thread's origin it is one that has been in waiting for a while. I'll try to keep it classy and not go into too much detail but basically I don't like pot and there are certain users whose "free thinking" simply does not allow for differing opinions on that particular topic. There is also a "little" guilt redirection going on there. And the Grand Canyon has seen a "little" erosion in its day.

Rex mixed it up a little @NE last year. Maybe he can do it again. Go Bills.

Old man Williams was unstoppable today. Adolph is also played well- making plays. Can't wait for Dareus to be back to really improve the boys upfront. Brown bros played well, where is Brandon Spikes?

spikes was on the field for a couple plays. Against a passing team he doesn't get many plays. Don't recall if he did anything on the field

I don't know about antiquated.... Inconsistent absolutely. Go back to last year, they put together great games and than have complete dumpster fire games.

Even the great Schwartz defenses had them. Remember that Raider game that they laid an egg on?

But that is splitting heirs I guess.

A new TBDism?

We saw this last year too. Best not to get delerious over one win, at home and against an NFC team that flew in from the west coast. Should the Bills beat the Bradyless Patriots then some delerium can start :D

I agree as the only team they have beaten so far were the 49ers who were getting smoked by the Seahawks 37-3 for most of yesterday.

The juggernaut Pats* laid 23 points on them and Cards lost because of a bad snap. They didn't play 49ers, but held Tampa to 7, who've put up north of 30 in each other game.

Maybe at some point people may credit Bills for being a decent team?

Lets have this conversation again after the half way point

Inconsistency is this teams modus operandi...... One win from a west coast team traveling east is a win, but it does little to fill me with hope for the rest of this season. Traveled this road way to many times

Heard rex say in his presser that "Dennis called a good game"... Sounds like he may not be calling the whole game on defense anymore, and trying to take a more active role with the whole game. Probably a smart move with a new OC who's calling from the booth. He's gotta take the temperature of Tyrod, and communicate what he's seeing on the sideline to both coordinators.

Yeah that was very strange, playing a 1-4-6 and sometimes a 1-3-7. But it worked and surely confused Palmer early.

The failure of his system created an opportunity to trap an opponent with something very different the following week.

That's where inconsistency can be your friend.......now and then.

Hopefully he realizes his system can't be consistently effective any longer and if he wants to run it he needs to gameplan from week to week and be able to make significant changes in-game.

If they could have made adjustments like that in the Jets game they wouldn't have lost.

The gameplan worked hand-in-hand with the offensive gameplan this week as they were aggressive and got a lead and that discouraged the Cardinals from just plowing over the Bills undersized D with the run game.

Without those points and Cardinals breakdowns, we are talking about how the Bills D couldn't get off the field but being so short-handed I think they did a hell of a job.

I'm just saying that it's not a given, as you seemed to postulate. And it happened the opposite way just last year. I'm not at all saying to expect it. Usually, you are right, that it takes some time.

Not a given one way or the other.

The odds would favor his contributions as being minimal however.

The juggernaut Pats* laid 23 points on them and Cards lost because of a bad snap. They didn't play 49ers, but held Tampa to 7, who've put up north of 30 in each other game.

I have an idea. How about we do it when their win % exceeds .333?

Ahh yes the myth of that "awful" performance against the Raiders.

They weren't as dominate as they had been that season but they didn't "lay an egg". They played slightly above average as the Raiders went 3 and out 4 straight times at one point in that game. It was the offense that mostly sucked.

Whatever you need to tell yourself to keep up the myth of the Schwartz D and the negative narrative, go right ahead. Did you even watch that game? We got roughed up by a 3-13 team.

Week to week people panic or get overly excited because each game is 6.25% of the season. Not realizing that it is still only 1 occurrence and things are so context dependent. The Bills salvaged their season and came up big to avoid the dreaded 0-3 start. They lost week 1 close and then looked bad week 2 (A week in which they had some big plays to give them a lead in the 2nd half), week 3 they looked good. The only thing you can really say about them is we have no clue how good or bad they are. 1 more week and Dareus comes back which is huge for the defense, Shaq could also be a shot in the arm for the second half of the season too.

Offensively the team needs more but if they can run the ball and get some big plays while having some consistency in moving the chains (The offense can't keep leaving the defense out to dry with 3 and outs) then the team has a chance.

Edited by billsfan89

No can do. A team who struggled to hit .500 last year when the big mouth HC predicted playoffs. This season his team won the offseason. there's more. We all heard it. If this clown misses the playoffs this year. He will be only the 4th HC since the merger to go 6 straight years without even hitting a wildcard berth. What are the odds the Bills make the playoffs?

So yes The Bills won yesterday win ONE of the season. The Cards one of the early favorites to go deep this year in the playoffs could be hitting the wall. If we beat them if they were say 12-2. I would give this win and yes no doubt it was a great win. A little more weight. All the talking heads today are saying that maybe the cards will suck this year. Based on losing to Buffalo. Like any fan i would have rather heard "Man those Bills are a decent team" Not to be though. No one talks Bills. You need to run a string of wins after 16 years of suck to get called a decent team. After win 1 of the season. No one talks about your team.

As it stands the Cards are now tied with the Bills at 1-2 only beating only the lowly bucs who lost to the rams yesterday. At home. Imo they aren't even a decent team if you go by the won/loss column. Which is the standard measuring of teams being good or not.

Lets beat the pats** by 10+ in thier house, even if it is against a 3rd string QB. then beat teams like the steelers and sea chickens. Make the playoffs, make a playoff run, Before we call this a decent team. imo

Young Ryan apparently didn't notice that Rex was able to adjust in between games and supply a productive defense yesterday. i give Rex a ton of credit for seeing his normal schemes were not working and throwing in some changes that utilized our talent with Kyle Williams being the prime example. Here's hoping he doesn't become satisfied with one win and get rigid again. Yes he had 10 days to prep for this and 200+ to prepare for Baltimore so "cash money" defense had a chance to shine. I still find it strange that the OP would describe the Baltimore game as cash money when we got burned on a 66 yard touchdown due to a bad scheme by a WR who probably should be retired already. But that is splitting heirs I guess.

In case anyone is curious about this thread's origin it is one that has been in waiting for a while. I'll try to keep it classy and not go into too much detail but basically I don't like pot and there are certain users whose "free thinking" simply does not allow for differing opinions on that particular topic. There is also a "little" guilt redirection going on there. And the Grand Canyon has seen a "little" erosion in its day.

Rex mixed it up a little @NE last year. Maybe he can do it again. Go Bills.

Giving up 13 points is bad because they scored a LONG td.

Mike Wallace isn't fast anymore huh ? Only had 2 more TD's the next week, geez Mcfly.

Less paragraphs please, lot of nonsensical ranting isn't needed. They lock your other thread yet ?

You rant and rave about Rex's d all offseason like a heartbroken 14 year old. Enjoy the big bowl of wrong.

How about that Andrew Luck game winning td ? That was noooooiiice !

Edited by Ryan L Billz