Marlins Jose Fernandez dies in boating accident at 24

Just Jack

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Side note, how often do fatal boating accidents occur?

RIP, so preventable.

Here are the 2014 stats:

https://www.uscgboating.org/library/accident-statistics/Recreational-Boating-Statistics-2014.pdf

People think it is like flying down the interstate or something. Crazy crap happens on water.

This was a first for me in 25+ years dealing w/the boating community here @ the southern tip of Lake Michigan:

Boat Rage.

Just a few weeks ago, a bunch of boaters were heading back to the lock from Lake Michigan (we are 7 miles down river from Lake). One boat was tailgating another boat, both @ high speeds. The first boat stopped because he (so he says) got nervous. Anyway, nobody was thrown or whatever, hurt... from the Top Gun type maneuver. Boat didn't fly by but slammed into his wake. But words were exchanged and the one boat that was tailgating threatened to shoot the other boater. Yep, boat rage! Anyway, make a long story short, the threatened vessel was a mother and father with their 6 year old kid on board. They called the cops before entering the lock because they were nervous they would end up locking with said boat that threatened to kill them. That would be bad, very bad. Next thing I know there were a bunch of cops and their cruisers on the lock wall looking for who called them. The other boater turned around and reportedly hid under a bridge and didn't lock down. I closed the gates and locked number 1 boat down... Told cops that they can't get to them because they couldn't get through lock. There was no police marine unit in sight so everybody left feeling safe. Not sure what boat it was, but we lock 100's on a summer weekend. I think that offending boat went down river later that night after my shift.

What is wrong with people!

Anyway, again RIP. No PFDs on, its dark... Just stupid. Running around slamming into stuff.

Here is a story, usually one a year or so every year or two:

http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/3-Missing-After-Boating-Accident-in-Cal-Sag-Channel-264096821.html

People just don't think... Mix booze, sun, people get blinders on. Speeding @ night whole another wild card situation. Hit a log, whatever, throw your passengers into the water... Etc...

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2014/06/23/third-body-recovered-after-cal-sag-boating-accident/

Here is the carnage. Pretty fast to slam into something that is 660' long x 70' wide in a 400' wide channel! In the dark, probably drunk. The original article says 66'... The tow was 660'x70' . How do you slam into that monster and not process its lights. Because it is dark and they are speeding blindly!

I am a baseball fan but really didn't know much about him. Watched the tribute before the game last night, man that was pretty moving. The trumpet playing take me out to the ballgame. The players crying, then dee gordons at bat... Pretty cool stuff

I hear you pooj. So sad and over something so senseless and dumb.

I just can't process this type of accident. I go to a week of boat operator training every year and water safety is just beat into us over and over.

Such a shame. Such a waste.