New "Simplified Offense"

DirtDart

WTF is the point in installing 90 plays when your offense can't achieve more than 50 snaps a game?

i believe Lynn said something similar. You need to convert 3rd downs and sustain drives before worrying about needing another 90 plays. Edited by YoloinOhio

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Left out the MAJOR important position of the offense. If that spot it lacking then yes you do need to scheme a plan

Sure, but we're not comparing Tyrod to Rodgers. We're comparing him to Fitz.

Fitz does some things better, Tyrod does other things better. Fitz is marginally better than Tyrod. And four years ago when he was the QB in Buffalo, it might have even been a stretch to say he was better at all.

Fitz had the best game of his career on TNF. If he goes for 370+ yards, no picks and better than 70% comp at ANY point for the rest of his career, I'll be stunned.

With the exception of Tyrod v Fitz, the offense now is insanely more talented.

Stevie v Sammy

Jones v Woods

Nelson v Goodwin

Chandler v Clay

Spiller v Shady

There is so much more athleticism and skill at these positions than when Chan was here. These guys don't need to be "schemed" into success. They need to be given a chance to go out and win their match ups.

That is what I believe. Get the ball to the damn playmakers. If we are going to lose, I'd rather lose targeting Sammy 12 times a game instead of 4. Swing big.

Sometimes coaches out scheme themselves.

Just because a defense knows what play is coming doesn't mean they will be successful. At some point you just got to beat the guy in front of you.

This too.

Edited by jimmy10

That is what I believe. Get the ball to the damn playmakers. If we are going to lose, I'd rather lose targeting Sammy 12 times a game instead of 4. Swing big.

There is virtually no comparison in playmakers now vs. 2010-12. Donald Jones seems like a nice guy on the radio, and I hope he gets better and stays on with the GR crew for a long long time. But Jesus H Christ was he a horrible receiver.

Folks. Naaman Roosevelt. These are the guys the offense relied on during those years.

Those years are over. You think Antonio Brown has to be in the right scheme to make it work? Hell no he doesn't, he just needs the ball in his hands.

Bills fans are eager to see if that's what Lynn has in store, let's hope he does!!

Sure, but we're not comparing Tyrod to Rodgers. We're comparing him to Fitz.

Fitz does some things better, Tyrod does other things better. Fitz is marginally better than Tyrod. And four years ago when he was the QB in Buffalo, it might have even been a stretch to say he was better at all.

Fitz had the best game of his career on TNF. If he goes for 370+ yards, no picks and better than 70% comp at ANY point for the rest of his career, I'll be stunned.

And what happened to Fitz in Buffalo once defenses new what he did and took it away? Chans Offense failed. Does that mean Chan was bad? or that the QB just never grew.

So last year everyone was loving Roman's offense. Now The offense is failing, is it because Roman puts too much on the plate (he did the same last year.) or because Defenses have figured out what the QB does well and took it away and the QB never grew ala Fitz in his time at the Bills?

I guess we will find out. But I know Tyrod as the same issues he has had in College and that is after 5 years of coaching and two different NFL teams.

Edited by MAJBobby

And what happened to Fitz in Buffalo once defenses new what he did and took it away? Chans Offense failed. Does that mean Chan was bad? or that the QB just never grew.

So last year everyone was loving Roman's offense. Now The offense is failing, is it because Roman puts too much on the plate (he did the same last year.) or because Defenses have figured out what the QB does well and took it away and the QB never grew ala Fitz in his time at the Bills?

I guess we will find out. But I know Tyrod as the same issues he has had in College and that is after 5 years of coaching and two different NFL teams.

You've talked yourself into a circle and lost track of your point.

Players can't seem to handle the volume of plays. Is that coaching, talent who knows. However, I agree with the need to simplify things until the team demonstrates they can execute at a high level before incorporating new things.

I hope Whaley takes a long look at the Patriots model for drafting new talent. They focus heavily on smarts and it seems to work for them. They can shake off injuries and plug people in and still perform at a high level. Whatever they are doing right is what we should be doing. If Rex doesn't turn it around and this team fails to make it to the playoffs he needs to be fired. I wouldn't be against poaching someone from New England's staff just to piss off Belicheck and maybe we get lucky.

WTF is the point in installing 90 plays when your offense can't achieve more than 50 snaps a game?

It's not about quantity, it's about freedom of selection.

It's nice to go to a beer bar with 150 beers on tap. Not because you will drink 150 glasses of beer in a sitting, but because you will be able to drink just the right beer for the right mood at a given time.

I still think that is likely way too much for these guys to digest.

Most normal people don't realize just how stupid your average NFL athlete is.

Players can't seem to handle the volume of plays. Is that coaching, talent who knows. However, I agree with the need to simplify things until the team demonstrates they can execute at a high level before incorporating new things.

I hope Whaley takes a long look at the Patriots model for drafting new talent. They focus heavily on smarts and it seems to work for them. They can shake off injuries and plug people in and still perform at a high level. Whatever they are doing right is what we should be doing. If Rex doesn't turn it around and this team fails to make it to the playoffs he needs to be fired. I wouldn't be against poaching someone from New England's staff just to piss off Belicheck and maybe we get lucky.

Football IQ. Patriots value that way more than a lot of other teams do. Everyone looked at Football IQ for QBs, but that doesn't help if your other skill positions are lacking in the area. Not calling our players dumb, however it does point to a major issue with a lot of teams drafts, is they will always take the size speed prospect no matter what his football IQ is.

Some detailed breakdowns of Roman's game film showed him using multiple attempted plays to disguise bigger players later on in hopes of manipulating the defense. I'm sure lots of coordinators do that to some extent but maybe he took things to far? It's a young team with no identity, I could see how that strategy could be disheartening. I'm not going to blame Roman for everything but it's Thursday and it's time to convince myself we can win....again.

Some detailed breakdowns of Roman's game film showed him using multiple attempted plays to disguise bigger players later on in hopes of manipulating the defense. I'm sure lots of coordinators do that to some extent but maybe he took things to far? It's a young team with no identity, I could see how that strategy could be disheartening. I'm not going to blame Roman for everything but it's Thursday and it's time to convince myself we can win....again.

Right on the money here, especially with that last bit! :thumbsup:

It's like trying to get Steph Curry open for three by pounding it inside and getting the opposing center in foul trouble. Or by trying to get contested buckets driving the lane in traffic. Okay. Sure. I can see where that would work. But, why don't we just have him pull up and splash from 28 feet? If the Bills were the Warriors in this scenario, their center keeps getting called for travelling before he gets his shoulder into the opposition and they're bricking four out of five contested layups while Steph is sitting on the perimeter collecting dust.

Seems to me that this take (which I choose to believe too) assumes that Roman never even gave defenses an opportunity to get beat by our good stuff, and rather than the trickery be the knockout blows, our bread and butter was waiting to be set up. Except it never was.

That's the spirit. I've already allowed myself to begin to dream about what a cardinal victory will mean. Reality soon. Sweet dreams for now.

Twice as many, gotta be twice as good! :beer::beer:

Also, I think we ran about 50 plays in BOTH games so far - we must have plenty of plays practiced and left over... :D

Edited by Heitz

Right on the money here, especially with that last bit! :thumbsup:

It's like trying to get Steph Curry open for three by pounding it inside and getting the opposing center in foul trouble. Or by trying to get contested buckets driving the lane in traffic. Okay. Sure. I can see where that would work. But, why don't we just have him pull up and splash from 28 feet? If the Bills were the Warriors in this scenario, their center keeps getting called for travelling before he gets his shoulder into the opposition and they're bricking four out of five contested layups while Steph is sitting on the perimeter collecting dust.

Seems to me that this take (which I choose to believe too) assumes that Roman never even gave defenses an opportunity to get beat by our good stuff, and rather than the trickery be the knockout blows, our bread and butter was waiting to be set up. Except it never was.

Just throw the ball, run slant routes, let Tyrod look at the while field; if not we'll never know what we have. Can't go any lower than we are.

Well when you are limited at key positions coaches try to scheme their way to victory. That was very evident during the Chan years as well.

I always thought Chan outsmarted himself and would get away from plays which were effective earlier in the game that the defense had already seen. I can't back that up at all, just the impression this unsophisticated, ball watching, football fan had at the time.