Lee Evans and Jason Gildon

Frez

Do you think Mike Mularkey has been holding these guys back in preseason? Is he really playing possum with these two?

18847[/snapback]

Makes one wonder doesn't it? Im sure there is tons of game film on Gildon so nothing he does is going to suprise anyone. Evans oddly was almost the invisible man in pre-season. Im very curious to see if Evans is ready to play and MM is concealing his talents.

If Gildon is cut I'll wager he is snapped up by BB and co in NE.....Just a hunch.

it's tough to showcase evans' speed with no o-line to protect the qb.

if the o-line plays like they did against Detroit we will see some bombs to Evans in week one.

Gildon showed me nothing in the preseason. why hold him back? to fool Jax for the 1st time he rushes the passer? i think he is cut. hopefully i am wrong and he gets 15 sacks .

In regards to Evans, remember that more often than not, rookie WR's struggle in their first year or two. There is a HUGE cognitive jump from college to pro at the WR position. So, even if they have the physical talent, there can still be an awkward year of adjustment. (See, Eric Moulds).

In fact, it is rare that a rookie WR comes into the league and succeeds. Randy Moss and Anquain Boldin are exceptions. THis last draft class was "the year of the WR," and many of those first round WR's are having similar problems as Evans.

This is a case where we have to give him time. HOWEVER, his speed will have to be respected, and that alone will make a difference. He needs to show that he can catch a long ball when the defense shows a lack of respect. IF he can do this a few times in the first few games, then I think we can see some good things from this offense.

I think this is how success will be measured for Evans, not by the number of balls he catches, rather by the quality of them in the right situations.

TDawg, I'm honestly not sweating it. Sometimes the THREAT is the thing. I personally see him getting over 60 balls and about 800-900 yards and 8 TD's.

18861[/snapback]

Those numbers sound nice to me. I still have a hard time believing that Eric Moulds had one TD last year....ONE !! Week two against Jacksonville.

They called several plays for Evans during the pre-season. He caught a few. He dropped one or two (they would have been tough catches). Three times he was wide open deep when plays were called for him but the quarterback didn't get the ball to him. There were a couple penalties, including one of two reverses, and a WR screen. They did try to get him the ball, but things just didnt work out, the vast majority of the time not Evans' fault. He could easily have had three TDs this pre-season, and the posts about wide receivers taking a few years to have an impact are normally true, but Evans is going to buck that trend, even if he doesn't have huge numbers. His speed alone is going to make Josh have a great year. It's going to stop safeties from crowding the line and bull rushing on all out blitzes like they did last year when Moulds was hurt. He's going to create match-up problems that the #4 WR, Shaw, is going to be able to exploit. Evans' value to the team is not going to be shown just in the stats.

I partially agree. Evans will get more balls in the reg. season, but he's got a major learning curve. Is MM using a smoke screen? Probably not. Evans will get a couple balls thrown to him on sunday, and more the next week. Has anyone seen evans or gildon in practice on a regular basis? I haven't, so i'm curious to see how many balls he got, or what patterns he was running (evans), or the defenses that gildon was in. I'm not really worried at all about evans. As for gildon, all i really know on this guy is he's pretty good for the bills in madden 2005. That's seriously all i know so far.

This occurence strikes me as less of a conspiracy to hide Evans and more of a plan to work on more needed areas first. The emphasis of the Bills O (in no particular order since I'm sure there is sharp debate among fans as to what;s most important) are things like:

1. Get Bledsoe and the QBs to throw quick

2. Deal with the unplanned injuries to Losman and Brown.

3. Get WM taking some hits

4. Deal with the injury to TH

5. Build chemistry with the OL

6. Deal with the massive disruptions to the OL from injuries and idiocy.

7. Get Moulds up to snuff.

8. Test Reed.

All these things mitigate concentrating on developing Evans in games and there are enough issues that it is not surprising to me that the game situation never called for going to Evans deep.

As far as Glidon, his usage does strike me as odd since he has not shown enough to the outside observer in terms oclosing speed when he is in there to make me comfortable with sitting on his performance because I know what he can do. I hope I am wrong, but Glidon looks like age has caught up with him in my book and if his play at Lb is areplay of GW's Robinson foray, I'm sorry but he should be cut.