Sabermetrics for football/Bills analytics

dayman

I see a lot of posts here referencing Bills analytics, usually sarcastically. Do we really have high-level guy that looks at the game like that and is also influential in our organization? For example, DePodesta (Jonah Hill from moneyball) is the "chief strategy" guy for Cleveland as of January.

I ask b/c the discussion lately has been a lot about ground and pound v. passing league. I would assume that a team with an analytical strategy at the top would probably not have hired Rex and Roman in the first place...

Edited by dayman

They do. Hired a guy from RIT a few years ago.

But I wouldn't compare his role with Dipodesta's with regard to level of power and influence.The Cleveland structure is unique.

http://m.buffalobills.com/news/article-2/Bills-launch-analytics-department-with-hire-of-Lyons/3bf96f90-a18a-4845-aaae-2d20cc83d72b

Edited by YoloinOhio

I see a lot of posts here referencing Bills analytics, usually sarcastically. Do we really have high-level guy that looks at the game like that and is also influential in our organization? For example, DePodesta (Jonah Hill from moneyball) is the "chief strategy" guy for Cleveland as of January.

I ask b/c the discussion lately has been a lot about ground and pound v. passing league. I would assume that a team with an analytical strategy at the top would probably not have hired Rex and Roman in the first place...

Having it available and it actually being used are 2 distinctly different things.

The Browns would have been better off hiring Jonah Hill....

Having it available and it actually being used are 2 distinctly different things.

So, I can see disregarding individual advice on players. It is football after all. The value would be in shaping a more general direction. Overall strategy. What is it that the team sees as its strategy to compete year in and year out? What do the Bills believe about how to win in the NFL?

It just boggles my mind the Roman firing and start of the season. I'm fine with the firing an happy Rex has been forced to distance himself from embracing a lack of modern offensive propensities, but I don't get the Pegula's snap reaction. Were they not paying attention when the hired Rex and throughout last season? Do they, and perhaps Whaley as well (personally I never thought Rex was Whaley's hire), have any kind of lasting strategy for competing?

PS: Also, I assume everyone on this forum is smart enough to know Rex was forced to fire Roman.

The Browns would have been better off hiring Jonah Hill....

And sure, they're the Browns so who cares. He's only been there 1 year though, so we'll have to see. Based on what I know about that guy though, I have a hard time imagining him hearing a guy talk about building the entire team to pound the ball and rely on its ability to stop the other teams from scoring and then recommending that the team hire him and build a team that way.

Edited by dayman

Advanced stats in football aren't as revolutionary as they are in Baseball or even basketball because there are a lot of moving parts (22 players on the field) and conditions that make it hard to quantify performance to advanced stats. Bottom line you simply have to watch a player intently to have a real actionable reed on how good or bad a player is.

So, I can see disregarding individual advice on players. It is football after all. The value would be in shaping a more general direction. Overall strategy. What is it that the team sees as its strategy to compete year in and year out? What do the Bills believe about how to win in the NFL?

It just boggles my mind the Roman firing and start of the season. I'm fine with the firing an happy Rex has been forced to distance himself from embracing a lack of modern offensive propensities, but I don't get the Pegula's snap reaction. Were they not paying attention when the hired Rex and throughout last season? Do they, and perhaps Whaley as well (personally I never thought Rex was Whaley's hire), have any kind of lasting strategy for competing?

PS: Also, I assume everyone on this forum is smart enough to know Rex was forced to fire Roman.

And sure, they're the Browns so who cares. He's only been there 1 year though, so we'll have to see. Based on what I know about that guy though, I have a hard time imagining him hearing a guy talk about building the entire team to pound the ball and rely on its ability to stop the other teams from scoring and then recommending that the team hire him and build a team that way.

It is not readily apparent to me that the Bills are using anything other than an old school approach. Roman certainly did not appear to be anything other than a guy who is set in his ways. The coaching staff appears to be behind the curve in general as compared to teams that are trying to be innovative.

I'm not a big fan of the copy cat theory. Youre trying to get ahead of the other teams, the copy cat just gets you in the game. The organization needs to try aggressive in establishing an identity that can take them forward. Stop looking to the past for the future.

Old schoolers will say nothing ever changes. I think that is pure BS. The game is constantly evolving. Take for example the use of the nickel LB that some teams are employing- Rex no !@#$ing way he'd try that, all he knows is what he knows.

It is not readily apparent to me that the Bills are using anything other than an old school approach. Roman certainly did not appear to be anything other than a guy who is set in his ways. The coaching staff appears to be behind the curve in general as compared to teams that are trying to be innovative.

I'm not a big fan of the copy cat theory. Youre trying to get ahead of the other teams, the copy cat just gets you in the game. The organization needs to try aggressive in establishing an identity that can take them forward. Stop looking to the past for the future.

Old schoolers will say nothing ever changes. I think that is pure BS. The game is constantly evolving. Take for example the use of the nickel LB that some teams are employing- Rex no !@#$ing way he'd try that, all he knows is what he knows.

Not a fan of the copy? Sometimes my friend, you copy.

Not a fan of the copy? Sometimes my friend, you copy.

Like I said it does nothing more than get you to where everyone else is. Do you think the Patriots are copying the rest of the league? They do what is basic to success. They also have a few patentable ideas. :nana:

Edited by The Thurmanator