one aspect of bledsoe's game i will miss

dave mcbride

except for the mo lewis play, the guy is incredibly durable. for all the sacks he's taken, i've hardly ever seen him get blindsided (a rob johnson specialty). he takes sacks, yes, but all the same, he goes down slowly and almost always shows an awareness of his impending doom.

people here may laugh at my mentioning of this, but all i can say is be careful what you wish for. way too many qbs in the nfl get hurt with frequency and miss significant playing time. among younger qbs, i can think of pennington, vick, carson palmer, grossman, cade mcnown, kelly stouffer, tim couch, and a number of others. among older qbs, just think of mcnair, chris chandler, kurt warner, and gannon. of course, some guys are obviously very durable -- favre, brady, culpepper, manning. i wouldn't put losman in that category, however -- the signs point otherwise. not only is he a scrambler, he has very little experience sensing rushes. he has also already essentially lost a season to a broken leg obtained in practice, which may or may not mean anything. in any case, i'd be a lot more concerned about who the second stringer now that bledsoe is gone. and please, no jokes about how you were concerned before because bledsoe sucked so bad. that's not the point.

except for the mo lewis play, the guy is incredibly durable. for all the sacks he's taken, i've hardly ever seen him get blindsided (a rob johnson specialty).  he takes sacks, yes, but all the same, he goes down slowly and almost always shows an awareness of his impending doom. 

people here may laugh at my mentioning of this, but all i can say is be careful what you wish for. way too many qbs in the nfl get hurt with frequency and miss significant playing time. among younger qbs, i can think of pennington, vick, carson palmer, grossman, cade mcnown, kelly stouffer, tim couch, and a number of others.  among older qbs, just think of mcnair, chris chandler, kurt warner, and gannon.  of course, some guys are obviously very durable -- favre, brady, culpepper, manning.  i wouldn't put losman in that category, however -- the signs point otherwise. not only is he a scrambler, he has very little experience sensing rushes. he has also already essentially lost a season to a broken leg obtained in practice, which may or may not mean anything. in any case, i'd be a lot more concerned about who the second stringer now that bledsoe is gone.  and please, no jokes about how you were concerned before because bledsoe sucked so bad.  that's not the point.

250155[/snapback]

i'll agree with you a little there. It was one of his better traits. But I think the jury is still out on Manning and Brady, because they don't get hit very often at all.

except for the mo lewis play, the guy is incredibly durable. for all the sacks he's taken, i've hardly ever seen him get blindsided (a rob johnson specialty).  he takes sacks, yes, but all the same, he goes down slowly and almost always shows an awareness of his impending doom. 

people here may laugh at my mentioning of this, but all i can say is be careful what you wish for. way too many qbs in the nfl get hurt with frequency and miss significant playing time. among younger qbs, i can think of pennington, vick, carson palmer, grossman, cade mcnown, kelly stouffer, tim couch, and a number of others.  among older qbs, just think of mcnair, chris chandler, kurt warner, and gannon.  of course, some guys are obviously very durable -- favre, brady, culpepper, manning.  i wouldn't put losman in that category, however -- the signs point otherwise. not only is he a scrambler, he has very little experience sensing rushes. he has also already essentially lost a season to a broken leg obtained in practice, which may or may not mean anything. in any case, i'd be a lot more concerned about who the second stringer now that bledsoe is gone.  and please, no jokes about how you were concerned before because bledsoe sucked so bad.  that's not the point.

250155[/snapback]

His durability was amazing. Unlike Favre, who is constantly nagged by injuries, but always plays, Bledsoe's health was very seldom even an issue. It was taken for granted. That kind of stability is great for building a championship team. Unfortunately, the past two and a half seasons his play has been so uneven and sloppy it was almost like they were flip-flopping QB's anyway.

I've seen enough of Losman in college to know that this guy is going to be a health concern because he is drawn to contact and he takes some wicked hits. Teaching him to protect himself is going to be an issue. I think they need a good backup, not a career junker like Shane Matthews.

His durability was amazing.  Unlike Favre, who is constantly nagged by injuries, but always plays, Bledsoe's health was very seldom even an issue.  It was taken for granted.  That kind of stability is great for building a championship team.  Unfortunately, the past two and a half seasons his play has been so uneven and sloppy it was almost like they were flip-flopping QB's anyway. 

I've seen enough of Losman in college to know that this guy is going to be a health concern because he is drawn to contact and he takes some wicked hits.  Teaching him to protect himself is going to be an issue.  I think they need a good backup, not a career junker like Shane Matthews.

250492[/snapback]

badol - agreed. who's the best backup option out there? you know better than I.

But I think the jury is still out on Manning and Brady, because they don't get hit very often at all.

I agree on Manning, but believe me, Brady gets hit more than his sack numbers would indicate. He likes to hold onto the ball until the last second (probably because one of his strengths is going through all his reads to find the open target), and as a result, he gets hit after the throw quite a bit.

I agree on Manning, but believe me, Brady gets hit more than his sack numbers would indicate.  He likes to hold onto the ball until the last second (probably because one of his strengths is going through all his reads to find the open target), and as a result, he gets hit after the throw quite a bit.

250840[/snapback]

excellent point. he does get hit in that manner quite allot. I guess he isn't taking those sacks though, the one's where he get's drilled into the ground and landed upon. You know, Drew Bledsoe style.

I agree on Manning, but believe me, Brady gets hit more than his sack numbers would indicate.  He likes to hold onto the ball until the last second (probably because one of his strengths is going through all his reads to find the open target), and as a result, he gets hit after the throw quite a bit.

250840[/snapback]

It's also the quality of hits, not just the quanity. Drew ducks his head and clams up (his vintage standstill 360 if you will) at the site of a pass-rush, which allows him to avoid most of the bone-crushing shots to ribs other QB's take.