USA Today: "Frustration with Roman spilled into locker room"

YoloinOhio

I recall that game clearly

I thought it was his amazing rotation and ear pinning ?

I agree on both points.

The rotation is great if you have the depth and the health (we did).

Haynseworth --> Suh/Fairley --> Dareus/KW --> Fletcher Cox (9.5 sacks last year)

He follows around the game's best pass rushing DTs and for good reason. He needs the interior rush as part of a top front 4 that consistently harasses without help, and doesn't do well if he doesn't have it. That flexibility and versatility I love in a coordinator (farell Mr. Roman, I wish you well in all your future endeavors) to approach the game in more than one way is missing.

I like our last 3 defensive coaches like this

1. Pettine- versatile coach

2. Schwartz- rigid coach who inherited a perfect fit for his scheme

3. Rex- rigid coach who inherited a poor fit for his scheme

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know that salas and Powell aren't our best players, but little drags and crosses can create space for other players. And add rhythm to an offense on 1st and 2nd downs.

U don't need to be Edelman, or welker. Everyone has guys like this- riddick, woodhead, sproles.

Why not try bush in this role? He's clearly not working in the regular offense

Keep believing that myth.

i think the Raiders had about 2 wins at week 16 and a rookie QB when we played them with no WRs or RBs to speak of and we still let them run/pass all over us in a game we absolutely had to win to get in the playoffs. but hey, narrative. Same as playing Forte, Marshall, Decker and a team that won 10 games last year. Edited by YoloinOhio

I'm very confused by Rex's inability to find an offensive coordinator. He seems to bring in coorindators that he's not familiar with and then they're philosophy doesn't jive...

we are speaking of rex whilst Bills head Coach ?

I know that salas and Powell aren't our best players, but little drags and crosses can create space for other players. And add rhythm to an offense on 1st and 2nd downs.

U don't need to be Edelman, or welker. Everyone has guys like this- riddick, woodhead, sproles.

Why not try bush in this role? He's clearly not working in the regular offense

I too do not think the second tier players are the issue.

Everyone has shown open at some point. It would be one thing if it was fans saying, " well TT should have seen so and so" but it has been multiple players for over a year.

Is it Coaching? Is it the player, or is it the combo meal ?

I always think the latter firstest

we are speaking of rex whilst Bills head Coach ?

I too do not think the second tier players are the issue.

Everyone has shown open at some point. It would be one thing if it was fans saying, " well TT should have seen so and so" but it has been multiple players for over a year.

Is it Coaching? Is it the player, or is it the combo meal ?

I always think the latter firstest

Are the plays just lousy? Are we putting ourselves in bad situations?

We never play under center, we never run real play action... We flood one side of the field and have Tyrod whip it to the sidelines. I'm not sure it's a great offense.

Are the plays just lousy? Are we putting ourselves in bad situations?

We never play under center, we never run real play action... We flood one side of the field and have Tyrod whip it to the sidelines. I'm not sure it's a great offense.

Not passing from under center is a huge liability imo

I'm very confused by Rex's inability to find an offensive coordinator. He seems to bring in coorindators that he's not familiar with and then they're philosophy doesn't jive...

The thing is I dont understand why Roman and Rex Philosophy dont jive...they SHOULD jive

- Rex is a defensive guy

- defensive guys like to limit turnovers, control the ball, win low scoring games, etc etc etc

- Roman is known for his good run schemes

You would think a match made in heaven

but

Where Roman seems to falter is when his run schemes are not working......the offense is dead....he doesnt appear to have the ability to adjust....at least not this year.

well our defense has looked effective at times. but you can bet ryan is on the hot seat now that the pegs have the firing itch. our offense looks like a high school team out there. i'm down with tanking for kizer or whoever if we continue to look this bad the next 2 weeks.

The Time of Possession was something like 40min to 20 minutes...When the defense is on the field for 40 minutes against a marauding offense, they are going to get killed.

Offense showed no creativity to play the short-range game.

The raiders went 3 and out 4 times in a row at one point in that game.... And so did our offense.

Hardly run/pass all over us. It wasn't what we saw that year but it wasn't bad. They played about an average game. Something our offense couldn't handle that year.

This is exactly right!

Remember that 3rd down and 22 deep pass that Carr completed to Andre Holmes for 51 yards in the 4th quarter that basically won the game for them. They just got incredibly lucky. What kills me is fans still want to rag on that 2014 #4 overall in total defense because Schwartz is no longer with the team and Wrex Ryan is...

The Raider drives went like this, Punt, Punt, Punt, TD, Punt, FG, Punt, FG, FG, FG, Punt, Missed FG, end. The Bills drives went like this, TD, INT, Punt, Punt, Punt, Punt, Punt, FG, Punt, Punt, TD, Punt, INT, TD.

Let's also not forget that the 2-12 Raiders team had the 30th defense in the NFL and Raider scrub DT's were plowing thru the Bills O-line like it was made of putty to tackle Bills RB's Fred and Spiller behind the line of scrimmage. That Buffalo Bills offense had 13 rushes for 13 yards :o and Spiller had 4 attempts for -4 yards. Meanwhile, Kyle Orton threw 49 times for 349 yards and 3 TD's, 2 INT's.

Now, if any recall that Raider rookie linebacker Khalil Mack was almost always in Orton's face because RT Henderson couldn't block to save his life that day. But yeah, let's blame it on the defense for a 2 point loss.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000447684/Week-16-Bills-vs-Raiders-highlights

I guess this is how rumors perpetuate. Since according to Rex the decision to fire Roman was his only. That was said in his presser yesterday. Although it may be complete BS, and he did seem vague at times making it hard to believe him. USA today runs with the

Pegula's were pissed on poor 3rd down conversions or whatever dating back to last season. Based on referenced Buffalo News articles and zero comments from the Pegulas themselves. Although if the owners did indeed drive his firing. Why didn't that happen in the off season so they could hire a new OC and install his offense. A game 2 OC firing to me seems more like a Ryan move, rather than a directive from ownership.

They aren't wrong to be upset about it.

I think the issue came down to those things are holding us back from ever being able to come back in games. Poor clock management, wasting time getting plays in, etc...we are down 2 scores with 5 or 6 minutes left in the game and they are taking 30 seconds to get to the line and snap the ball...they score but leave only a minute on the clock...the offense seemed disjointed a lot, even last year...long stretches of time in some games where they were completely ineffective...Patriots, Giants, Redskins, Eagles, Cowboys, etc...there were probably a few more.

Basically what we got were big plays or nothing. You cannot consistently win like that. I guess that was the biggest issue. We had no foundation where we could say "OK, if we just keep doing this and get a little better at it, we can win more games". There is really nowhere to go with what we were doing. Basically it was get out to a big lead and go wire to wire for the most part or get behind and we aren't able to catch up.

It just wasn't effective enough. We weren't utilizing our weapons on offense. We were bringing in extra OL instead of extra WR's far too frequently. No motion, no imagination in the passing game to free up people or to set pick plays to get people wide open, etc...

It kind of sucks, but in the end the more I think about it, the more I think its probably for the best.

Edited by matter2003