USA Today: "Frustration with Roman spilled into locker room"

YoloinOhio

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Offense has looked bad. Starting with Taylor.

I wrote the Ravens game off. But not the Jets game. he had time, he had a pocket, he had open guys.

Maybe Roman was the reason?

Maybe Lynn will kick his backside into shape.

I am worried the players are going to fold and live to fight another day.

Either Lynn gets something rolling and the team regains/develops confidence or the season is over.

When the employee fails it is on management. always.

Either the wrong hire, or not cutting ties soon enough and admitting the mistake.

I have a bad feeling that it's just pissin' in the wind at this point, and the players have lost hope. Certainly the offense.

If you want to say its inconsistant.....im right there with you.....but you cant just pick and choose your ****

yes he can. Obviously

It's all of it. Not a black or white matter.

Pegulas were pissed. Players were pissed. It's on the HC to make a move and it's his final decision.

It's good leadership for Rex to publicly take it all on himself in the press.

Fans that nitpick this stuff in the search for some absolute truth (as if that even exists) need to grow up.

Good post. Thanks for saying it, especially the part about growing up.

It is inconsistent and has been since last year.

What makes you think it will all of a sudden change for the better?

Because its early......we are 2 games in. There are pieces of this defense that are looking pretty good.....we are missing our top D player to suspension and are going to get him back. Hughes is a monster....the fill in lbs have played well......Lorax looks solid.

I dont want to commit to Shaq Lawson being a game changer this year because I dont know....but if he does give us some contributions that will also help.

A big problem we have right now is without Marcel we dont have a DL rotation to keep from getting tired in games if the O is on the field too long.

But, but rushes to judgement and conspiracy theories!

As has been mentioned we'll find out if it was the right move. If not, Rex is hosed and he'll likely be gone as well. Might as well shake it up to see what happens...

Also, thumbs up to those that mentioned Roman's running Shady into a wall. What'd we have, 1 running play in the playbook?

Two running plays if you count run left, run right...

The Bills as good as they were in rushing last year we also one of the very worst teams in the NFL in three downs and out.It was the big plays that saved them last year and made them look so good as they led the league in big plays and 31st in three and out percentage in 2015. So this offense we see this year is nothing new just missing Hogan who would be open for the first down pass and Williams who would break that long run.

What I see happening this year is the offense is being stymied from being able to run because the defenses are focusing on stopping the run and making the QB throw more and Taylor unable to make plays with his arm so the offense stalls.

So, as I see things it's just wrex getting rid of the guy who could replace him. Unless this new RB coach has some miracles up his sleeve I don't see much changing with him calling the plays.

I hope people realize that the good, sophisticated offenses (NE, Arizona) change plans radically every week based on opponent. That player's criticism strikes me as a pretty witless.

If the report is true, it reminds me of after season comments made by defensive players about Rex's scheme being too complicated. Are the players not able to understand this is the NFL and it requires complex schemes at times? Do they think you can just line up and go at the opponent.

I'm beginning to think a lot of these players aren't putting in the work nor have the understanding that winning in the league requires out-thinking your opponent.

Edited by BillsVet

If the report is true, it reminds me of after season comments made by defensive players about Rex's scheme being too complicated. Are the players not able to understand this is the NFL and it requires complex schemes at times? Do they think you can just line up and go at the opponent.

I'm beginning to think a lot of these players aren't putting in the work nor have the understanding that winning in the league requires out-thinking your opponent.

I think we valued athletes over brains

I also suspect our coaches have not put in the work in the off season and that drives the lack of situational awareness despite being thought of as bright schematically

What I see happening this year is the offense is being stymied from being able to run because the defenses are focusing on stopping the run and making the QB throw more and Taylor unable to make plays with his arm so the offense stalls.

So, as I see things it's just wrex getting rid of the guy who could replace him. Unless this new RB coach has some miracles up his sleeve I don't see much changing with him calling the plays.

I think your diagnosis of what's happening is correct. Whether the new RB coach makes a difference depends somewhat IMO on whether the plays are in the playbook and we're just not using them, or whether we're not using them because we can't make them work.

I disagree that it's Wrex (love it!) getting rid of the guy who could replace him. I think it's probably true that the Pegulas weren't happy with the poor 3rd down conversions and game management from Roman, and not about to kick Wrex to the curb and give Roman the keys. There are two other former HC/OC on staff, but the weren't exactly "all that" as HC. If Lynn takes over and does respectably as OC - say, we're not much better at 3rd downs but at least the players hustle and the game management is good - what Rex has actually done is set up a palatable, positive PR, feel-good-story replacement for himself. "long time Sr coaching assistant finally gets break and makes good" kind of thing.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

We can't run the ball so in effect our defense blows?

What am I missing here?

Not running the ball puts a lot of pressure on the defense. They were hung out to dry two straight games in a short space of 5 days, and what do you know, they got really tired.

The fact that the offensive sideline can't get plays called in time - an issue that was reported multiple times last season as well - is INEXCUSABLE. I'm happy with the Roman firing based on that alone.

Edited by BobChalmers

i don't think he will be back either unless something changes dramatically.

Still plenty of time to change that scenario. We'll see.

It also requires out- executing them. I've seen plenty of plays with wide open WR's and TE's , and our QB cannot make the simplest of throws to get them a catchable ball and let them make a play. While the timing of certain play calls has been suspect ( that falls on Roman) the scheme itself doesn't indicate a lack of thought. Just a lack of execution, largely by a QB who may not be capable.

I don't know anything. And I bet no one outside of OBD does either.

All I can do is assess the rumors for plausibility. Making Roman the scapegoat to deflect pressure from Rex makes sense. It was my first reaction.

But so does the rumor that Roman was screwing up the offense. As bad as the defense played Thursday, the offense didn't help matters going three-and-out as often as it did. And how do you keep running Shady into a wall and never throw to Watkins? Looking at it that way, firing Roman makes sense.

Like I said, I don't know. But press conferences are not public confessions.

This scapegoating angle is one that is easy if people aren't paying attention. The Defense was horrendous Thursday night, true enough. Week 1 they were good, in spite of the one big play they gave up. Why didn't the Bills win week 1? OFFENSE. The offense was better on Thursday night... which should indicate to people how incompetent it was in Baltimore. Because Thursday night, outside of a few big plays, was just as poor.

They do not keep possession of the ball.

They get play calls in late, thus causing burned timeouts or penalties.

They seem to refuse to target Watkins. (Didn't they learn last season good things happen when they involve him?)

They do not use Tyrod on rollouts or bootlegs. He's great in space, so why not?

They do not seem to try to get McCoy into space.

They do not use McCoy's ability run routes down field. He's catching dump-offs and swing passes, but could do more.

They do not use Watkin's total football ability. No screens, no reverses, etc.

They run overwrought schemes (See EJ on 3 and 1 w/Tyrod split out wide.)

They do not use Clay in the pass game at all. The coach has to stress certain things from the QB.

The offense plays with no sense of urgency when the situations call for it.

The offense does not vary its pace. No hurry up sequences. No going without a huddle. Change up the look and the pace.

The offense, last season, even with their improved stats, displayed many of these same traits.

All of those things are related to coaching. Roman, as the OC, was given the power to oversee the offense. Could they have

kept him around? Sure. But it's not beyond the pale that he got the fired; especially if there were internal disagreements

about his method of operation. If Sammy plays next Sunday and gets 10 targets or more the decision is already a win for that

alone.

These OC's try to be too damn cute. You have playmakers, eff what the defense is doing, take what you want and use

your playmakers. Did Aikman not throw to Irvin because he was "covered". Did you ever see Montana take what the defense

gave him and ignore Rice? I remember seeing Thurman Thomas in the backfield, split out wide, catching dump-offs, swing

passes, middle screens, go routes, post routes etc. Last Sunday in AZ, the Cards lost, but who was getting fed the rock no matter what? Fitzgerald. Use your strengths coach.

Edited by purple haze

The Bills as good as they were in rushing last year we also one of the very worst teams in the NFL in three downs and out.It was the big plays that saved them last year and made them look so good as they led the league in big plays and 31st in three and out percentage in 2015. So this offense we see this year is nothing new just missing Hogan who would be open for the first down pass and Williams who would break that long run.

Well said!

Jesus.

Some of you baffle me. What about the defenses inability to get off the field on 3rd down. The Jets first drive was 8 minutes. The Jets punted twice in the game.

The defense blew.

The possessions after that were Bills 3 plays for 1:25, Jets possession for 5:16, and Bills for 1:38.

TOP was 39 to 20 Jets at the end of the game.

Offense did not keep them off the field at all, sometimes your best defense is a great offense. Control the ball, the TOP and the game....

That being said, yeah the D blew as well

Edited by Reed83HOF

The possessions after that were Bills 3 plays for 1:25, Jets possession for 5:16, and Bills for 1:38.

TOP was 39 to 20 Jets at the end of the game.

Offense did not keep them off the field at all, sometimes your best defense is a great offense. Control the ball, the TOP and the game....

That being said, yeah the D blew as well

You can't win in the NFL on any kind of consistent basis with a Dave Kingman offense.