USA Today: "Frustration with Roman spilled into locker room"

YoloinOhio

I don't know anything. And I bet no one outside of OBD does either.

All I can do is assess the rumors for plausibility. Making Roman the scapegoat to deflect pressure from Rex makes sense. It was my first reaction.

But so does the rumor that Roman was screwing up the offense. As bad as the defense played Thursday, the offense didn't help matters going three-and-out as often as it did. And how do you keep running Shady into a wall and never throw to Watkins? Looking at it that way, firing Roman makes sense.

Like I said, I don't know. But press conferences are not public confessions.

yea, good points. Your OC runs his offense. That in mind he reports too the HC. And like you said running shady into a wall, and Watkins being simply a decoy. Should in my opinion be addressed in say a coaches meeting ( or on the sidelines if needed) with Rex saying something

like. I don't care how you do it but get the ball to #14. IF Roman operated by himself without having to take input from his HC (which I doubt) I would lay that directly on Rex. Not Roman.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When it comes to getting too cute each week with the play calls, Rex is just as guilty.

One week we blitz all the time. Next we don't. One week the CBs are five inches from the WR, the next ten yards. So on and so forth.

The Bills keep getting guys who are slaves to their perceived brilliance.

Let the talent play.

They didnt say new plans, they made it sound like a completely new offense. And plans get tweaked, but most teams stick to their identity. We have never developed an identity.

The Bills actually look pretty similar from week to week in how they go about running the offense (over an 18 week stretch). And, yeah,you should be attacking the Jets very differently than the Ravens if tht's what the issue is here. I himestly think the charge is BS. We're talking about an offense that hardly played together at all in the preseason, after all.

The fish rots from the head.

yea, good points. Your OC runs his offense. That in mind he reports too the HC. And like you said running shady into a wall, and Watkins being simply a decoy. Should in my opinion be addressed in say a coaches meeting ( or on the sidelines if needed) with Rex saying something

like. I don't care how you do it but get the ball to #14. IF Roman operated by himself without having to take input from his HC (which I doubt) I would lay that directly on Rex. Not Roman.

Sammy is injured and probably should be sitting out right now. He's back awfully soon for a Jones fracture given what we know about them (Julio Jones, kevin durant, dez bryant, etc.).

not really a Rob Ryan fan but he's not the DC. Rex is. He's just his assistant. as is Thurman. Rob is actually coaching LBs. firing Rob is fine with me but would fix nothing. The LBs actually look much better this year fwiw.

Completely agree with this. The defense was swarming. I know I know, ifs and buts, but I do wonder how the tone of that game may have been different if we had recovered a fumble on that first Drive vs the Jets.

If Watkins has a Jones fracture, he is not the first star athlete to suffer this injury.

Speculation straight from Fairburn. It has not been established.

Speculation straight from Fairburn. It has not been established.

It hasn't been established because the bills didn't report it. The intetnet hive mind seems to be in consensus that this is what he has, which honestly is a rational and entirely non-controversial conclusion given the usual broken-bone foot injuries we see.

Yeah Okay.

just trying to argue this morning? it was reported this past sunday that sammy thought the screw broke or moved in his foot which is the common repair for a jones fracture. it's a pretty good guess that is what he had. no reason to argue over it. jesus.

I don't support Rex in much but I actually thought he dealt with the questions about the firing pretty well.

I agree. Rex was plainly uncomfortable. I think he just hates cutting players and firing someone would be as or more difficult. He tried to sugar-coat it by being laudatory about Roman's abilities, which made him come across as insincere (if he's so great, why did you fire him?) or as the mouthpiece for someone else's actions (he said it was his decision and he is accountable, but he also used "we" a few times then corrected to "I") but could also be just trying to take the high road with regard to a former subordinate - and he did.

I thought that it was most telling that the points at which he seemed most natural and straightforward in tone of voice and body language were when he answered the questions about Lynn's plans going forward and Tyrod's development. That made it seem like switching from Roman to Lynn was something he had thought through and was totally comfortable with as a positive change, so maybe it really was his idea or honestly what he saw as the best course of action.

All I can do is assess the rumors for plausibility. Making Roman the scapegoat to deflect pressure from Rex makes sense. It was my first reaction.

But so does the rumor that Roman was screwing up the offense. As bad as the defense played Thursday, the offense didn't help matters going three-and-out as often as it did. And how do you keep running Shady into a wall and never throw to Watkins? Looking at it that way, firing Roman makes sense.

The second rumor makes sense to me. Run Run Short pass no where near the line to gain and repeat, should get you fired.

History suggests he'll be 100 percent in time, but in the meantime we should expect to be frustrated with how long it takes to fully recover (ie, more than 6 months). I fear it's going to be a problem all year but i also expect him to be completely 100 percent next year.

It's supposed to be a pain tolerance issue with his foot already structurally sound. If there's no chance of reinjury, he should be out there every week.

just trying to argue this morning? it was reported this past sunday that sammy thought the screw broke or moved in his foot which is the common repair for a jones fracture. it's a pretty good guess that is what he had. no reason to argue over it. jesus.

I'm questioning unsubstantiated claims of a Jones fracture. It's already been established that there's no break in the screw or his foot.

I agree with you on the points that "no one outside of OBD does either". And there is someone at OBD who repeatedly leaks information that is either contradicted later or just seems implausible on the face of it (Whaley "going rogue" with the FredEx cut, Pegula's "ultimatum"). Also agree that press conferences are not, and should not be, public confessions.

I don't agree that the report of making Roman the scapegoat to deflect pressure from Rex makes sense - because in fact, it didn't deflect any pressure from Rex! On the tail of a piss-poor defensive outing, it made him look like he's scapegoating, and get called out for that in the press, whether or not he is. It also ratchets up the pressure on him to field an improved offense. I agree with Carucci that it's Rex pushing everything into the middle (as in poker I presume). It's the last thing besides Rex himself that can be called out as a problem. Since Lynn is 100% his guy and his choice for new OC over 2 offensive assistants with OC/HC experience (Kromer and Palmer), that's another source of pressure and another knock on him if it turns out Lynn can't handle it or if Kromer and Palmer are butt-hurt from being passed over and he can't get them on board [not only was it reported that Roman would be replaced by Chris Palmer, someone actually changed Palmer's Wiki page reporting him as the new OC for the Bills! Ouch.]

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

I agree. Rex was plainly uncomfortable. I think he just hates cutting players and firing someone would be as or more difficult. He tried to sugar-coat it by being laudatory about Roman's abilities, which made him come across as insincere (if he's so great, why did you fire him?) or as the mouthpiece for someone else's actions (he said it was his decision and he is accountable, but he also used "we" a few times then corrected to "I") but could also be just trying to take the high road with regard to a former subordinate - and he did.

I thought that it was most telling that the points at which he seemed most natural and straightforward in tone of voice and body language were when he answered the questions about Lynn's plans going forward and Tyrod's development. That made it seem like switching from Roman to Lynn was something he had thought through and was totally comfortable with as a positive change, so maybe it really was his idea or honestly what he saw as the best course of action.

What honestly pisses me off the most about this - he didn't know this last season or even in the offseason; or FFS in the preseason? As an HC he should have a better feel for this before the regular season began...

I'm sure the entire team is frustrated, since there is some talent on this team. I'm sure the 3 and outs and leaving the D on the field to get ripped is starting to divide us. A coaching change 2 games into the season is not going to propel us to the Superbowl or even the playoffs. I believe the Ravens were lucky like that a few years back, but Rex is no John Harbaugh. I would be amazed if he pulls anything positive off.

It's going to be hard to cut through all of the spin coming out right now, but at the end of the day; we are where we are and we are what our record says.

I was really hopeful that Rex was going to have a fresh start here, leave his baggage behind and help us. I love that he moved to Buffalo, bought a decal-ed track and brought some light back after Moron left. He brought in Roman, who we all had hopes for based on his first few years in SF, but as we all knew that didn't last and he was out and really disliked in SF (I am too lazy to look it up, but am sure some of these same complaints are the same). He brought us TT, which after we reached with EJ, was a breathe of fresh air. He did deserve another shot going into this season to start to mold the team into his team; as he should, he is the HC.

You can't hide from the fact that he took a god damn good defense and had to do it his way and ruined it. Yes it had its own issues, but all defenses lay an egg here and there. Instead of building upon it, he tore it down and I am sure alienated a few players along the way. The offenses game plans this year stink. The league has caught up to TT and his career is riding on it. Not only is TT's career riding on this, Rex's is, Whaley's is and possibly Brandon's. The three outcomes are: everyone is **** canned; same record, injuries and everyone buys one more year; Rex goes. I cannot foresee a scenario where Whaley goes and Rex stays. A new GM will want a new coach and I think very few people would want to keep Rex. I recall seeing somewhere a post with quotes from former players (Damien Woodey) that basically said at first everyone is rah rah with Rex, but it becomes it is apparent that it is about him and his family's name and not about the team. I am sure as the losses pile up this will wear on all of the players and change will have to occur. Whaley most likely goes, no GM sticks around through as many HCs as we have had, while he has done good in some areas with building the team, there are glaring weaknesses around too. I am sure the Pegulas cannot like all of the negative publicity and will have no choice to make a move. They almost have to in order to not be labeled as bad owners or even worse clueless. Brandon coming or going is going to be based on if he is calling shots or influencing or not. If the Pegulas name is getting dragged through the mud for decisions on a path he has pushed them down, he will be gone (doubtful I think). The Pegs had one shot to clean house when they bought the team and they didn't. I really think they have no choice this time around, unless this team pulls a miracle and becomes really good and wins a playoff game. They really have no choice but to clean house. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. They need to burn it down...

Since Russ has his hand in both the Bills and Sabres cookie jar- I highly doubt there is any production relates scenario where he is fired this year.