OT - what's more boring than watching a bunch

mary owen

Watching field fairies prance around and score a GOOOOOOOAAAAAALLLLLLL once every third game, MAYBE.

249896[/snapback]

NASCAR and soccer have one thing in common: if you don't understand the strategy involved, either one is boring as hell. If, on the other hand, you understand what went into Jeff Gordon's pass of Tony Stewart in the final laps Sunday, or how 20 minutes of aggressive midfield play eventually sets up a breakaway, they're much more exciting. God, as always, is in the details.

listening to it on the radio!!!

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...media_sirius_dc

249882[/snapback]

Listening to NASCAR on the radio?

BRILLIANT!

Now you can listen to the race in the comfort of your own front porch of your singlewide while making sure no whippersnappers try to steal the fridge sitting on your front yard.

OK, as a Nascar and local track fan, let me say the D 500 SUCKED!!!! 4 hours of watching 40+ cars go round the track in single file. The only lead changes were the result of pit stops. The only real action was the last 10-15 laps. Nascar has ruined restrictor plate racing in my opinion with all its rule changes to break up the packs. The packs was what made RP racing the best

NASCAR and soccer have one thing in common: if you don't understand the strategy involved, either one is boring as hell.  If, on the other hand, you understand what went into Jeff Gordon's pass of Tony Stewart in the final laps Sunday, or how 20 minutes of aggressive midfield play eventually sets up a breakaway, they're much more exciting.  God, as always, is in the details.

249903[/snapback]

It was actually Gordon's pass of Earnhardt Jr and jr's pass of Stewart. But your sentiment is somewhat correct - except soccer still sucks when you understand the nuances of the game.

NASCAR and soccer have one thing in common: if you don't understand the strategy involved, either one is boring as hell.  If, on the other hand, you understand what went into Jeff Gordon's pass of Tony Stewart in the final laps Sunday, or how 20 minutes of aggressive midfield play eventually sets up a breakaway, they're much more exciting.  God, as always, is in the details.

249903[/snapback]

As I said, I coached this stuff for a year, the team went undefeated, but I never allowed the team to play that midfield crap. I had them push the ball up and bang towards the goal. If the could beat the speed of the middies then they could get a shot on our goal, but we had I think it was 2 goals scored on us all year and through the playoffs.

The coaching is half the stupidity in soccer.

As I said, I coached this stuff for a year, the team went undefeated, but I never allowed the team to play that midfield crap.  I had them push the ball up and bang towards the goal.  If the could beat the speed of the middies then they could get a shot on our goal, but we had I think it was 2 goals scored on us all year and through the playoffs. 

The coaching is half the stupidity in soccer.

249916[/snapback]

Are you suggesting stupid people can successfully coach soccer? :doh:

Sure i will not be the last to kill ya, but the Nascar is pretty cool. OPen your mind son.

Just moved down here(Richmond) to confederate country, went to my first race last fall. Had a blast, just need better earplugs.

249893[/snapback]

mind's been open plenty of times and for many years. I just don't like watching it, I can't imagine listening. Now, I've GONE to races in the past and had a great time. TV and Radio just doesn't do it for ME.

So come on at me with yer greese under yer finger nail, and swing that crow bar at me. So what? It's a POST on an internet forum. I'm really worried about getting "killed".

:doh:

mind's been open plenty of times and for many years. I just don't like watching it, I can't imagine listening. Now, I've GONE to races in the past and had a great time. TV and Radio just doesn't do it for ME.

So come on at me with yer greese under yer finger nail, and swing that crow bar at me. So what? It's a POST on an internet forum. I'm really worried about getting "killed".

:doh:

249923[/snapback]

I think a lot of sports don't translate well to radio including any form of autoracing. Baseball is certainly the best in my mind because of the pace and the clear way of describing the action. I think football on the radio often has too much limitation.

By the way, I used to think autoracing was as boring as all heck and none of my family or friends were into it. But, I have just started to give NASCAR a chance after learning more about the history and some of the strategy. I actually enjoyed watching a race, the Daytona 500, for the first time this year.

I heard that NASCAR comes from racing the old moonshine cars that were made to outrun the police. Is this true?

Are you suggesting stupid people can successfully coach soccer? :doh:

249921[/snapback]

Well the friend that I convinced to help me coach was a college coach. He pretty much said the same thing. That too many coaches (all of them) play one of about 5 systems, and noone breaks from the norm. The midfielders in all these systems are usually the better but bigger folks. The smaller athletic folks are your attacks,

and the slower, bigger stronger folks are the full backs, with the quickest being the sweeper.

We ran it a little different, we put the slow big footed person as the striker to feed to the attack wing or crush the ball from the top of the box.

The small quick girls played mids and fullback/defense. With my best athlete being the stopper and the goalie.

Several of the girls hated there position because "the better players" on all the other teams played attack. I actually had 2 of the worst girls at the wings on attack. But they were bigger and I trained them to run people over and to clear an area physically.

We basically just had the sweeper kick the ball up as far as she could and because I had the small quick middies thay would push the ball to the striker for either a quick pass to wing or "slap shot on goal"

All dem good ol country boyz making left turns for 4+ hours?! No thanks NASCAR!! I like my sports where the human is doing the work and not a machine. Soccer is tough to watch I'll admit because its always 1-0 or 2-1, but it has far better athletic ability than some $hitkicker sitting in a damn race car!

Listening to NASCAR on the radio?

BRILLIANT!

Now you can listen to the race in the comfort of your own front porch of your singlewide while making sure no whippersnappers try to steal the fridge sitting on your front yard.

Where do most of the current Nascar drivers come from Californa!