A Look Back at the Great Bruce Smith

26CornerBlitz

BRUCE SMITH THROUGH THE YEARS

temp12kjflksjfd--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg?

A look back in time at the legendary career of Bills Hall of Fame defensive end Bruce Smith.

BRUCE SMITH: A LOOK BACK (4:15)

John Murphy takes a look back at the Hall of Fame career of defensive end Bruce Smith. Smith, who holds the all-time sacks record, is the second Buffalo Bill to have his number retired.

"BIG BRUCE" BY EJ MANUEL

ej-manuel-big-bruce.jpg

In celebration of Hall of Fame defensive end Bruce Smith’s jersey retirement, quarterback EJ Manuel congratulates “Big Bruce” on his legendary career and thanks him for being a true role model both on and off the field.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man, I miss that dude! As a young Air Force journalist, I was on the sidelines shooting photos at a preseason game against Houston at the newly opened Alamodome in San Antonio. I spent most of time shooting from the Bills sideline. Midway through the third quarter Bruce and Phil Hansen were down at my end of the sideline having been pulled from the game. I had 70 to 200 mm lens on the camera to help bring the action closer to me.

Bruce turns to me and says, "hey little man, can I see that camera?" Who was I to say no to Big Bruce. I hand him the camera and starts zooming in on the visiting sideline where the Oilers prospect cheerleaders were going through their routines. After a couple minutes, Phil asks if he can borrow the camera and for the next five minutes I stand there while Bruce and Phil scout the talent.

Bruce hands the camera back, says thanks, shakes my hand. That's it... no "hey I'm from WNY, big fan, thanks for being a Bill" nothing. Just frozen... felt like the Chris Farley character on SNL... "Jeez, why am I so STUPID!!!!"

Man, I miss that dude! As a young Air Force journalist, I was on the sidelines shooting photos at a preseason game against Houston at the newly opened Alamodome in San Antonio. I spent most of time shooting from the Bills sideline. Midway through the third quarter Bruce and Phil Hansen were down at my end of the sideline having been pulled from the game. I had 70 to 200 mm lens on the camera to help bring the action closer to me.

Bruce turns to me and says, "hey little man, can I see that camera?" Who was I to say no to Big Bruce. I hand him the camera and starts zooming in on the visiting sideline where the Oilers prospect cheerleaders were going through their routines. After a couple minutes, Phil asks if he can borrow the camera and for the next five minutes I stand there while Bruce and Phil scout the talent.

Bruce hands the camera back, says thanks, shakes my hand. That's it... no "hey I'm from WNY, big fan, thanks for being a Bill" nothing. Just frozen... felt like the Chris Farley character on SNL... "Jeez, why am I so STUPID!!!!"

Good story, thanks for sharing.

Bruce looks younger than any of the guys he played with.

I am so glad I was around and able to watch him play through his career, especially when he was in his prime.

He was a one man wrecking crew that (at times) single-handedly destroyed the opponents' drive and forced them to punt.

Remember all the times he tackled running backs in the backfield from behind? He would chase them down and bear tackle them. They didn't even see him coming.

Man it was great!

Met Bruce at a bar and I was wearing the Bruce Smith sneakers he had out at the time "Bad things". He noticed them, said thanks for the support and bought me a drink. Shook my hand and went on his merry way. Back then you were didn't have the cameras in phones like today, so no pics.

@viccarucci

Trade threat turning point for Bruce Smith's @ProFootballHOF career & #Bills number retirement. NEW at BN Blitz: https://t.co/Xrf5qjiRDj

@TheBuffaloNews

Why a certain Miami Dolphins fan is singing the #NationalAnthem at Thursday's #Bills game http://bit.ly/2cgQ3LT

It turns out that despite his Dolphins fandom, Rucker is tight with Bills legend Bruce Smith, who's having his No. 78 jersey retired before the game.

Nice piece by John Murphy. What great memories, what a player.

I met him once while we both happened to be vacationing at the same resort in Aruba. The first time is saw him was when I went to the gym one morning to work out. He was lifting while I was on the treadmill. I was too embarrassed to go over to the weights after that, with my puny workout. I saw him with his family at the pool later that day and took my son over to meet him. I hated to bother him, but he was very gracious as I introduced my son and thanked him for all his hard work for the Bills.

I didn't get to watch Bruce, bit before my football education started. I was going through his sacks from 1990 on Youtube, I've never seen anyone move off the snap so easily. Half the time, he's halfway upright by the time the snap hits the QB.

Dude...he was insane...

He made the game infinitely more enjoyable to watch. And I think he was the greatest ever at his position, even better than Reggie White was in that era. Bruce made a huge percentage if not the majority of his big plays while being double teamed. And he still made the play.

Opponents had to dedicate a significant amount of game planning to figuring out how to neutralize him. It was a true pleasure to watch. You had to see it with your own eyes to really understand how great he was.

In my opinion he was a better defensive end than Jim Kelly was a quarterback and Thurman Thomas was a running back - And I hold both of those players in the highest regard. Of those 90's era teams, Bruce was the best player at any position on the team respective to each player's position. (in my opinion)

Edited by PolishDave

Dude...he was insane...

He made the game infinitely more enjoyable to watch. And I think he was the greatest ever at his position, even better than Reggie White was in that era. Bruce made a huge percentage if not the majority of his big plays while being double teamed. And he still made the play.

Opponents had to dedicate a significant amount of game planning to figuring out how to neutralize him. It was a true pleasure to watch. You had to see it with your own eyes to really understand how great he was.

In my opinion he was a better defensive end than Jim Kelly was a quarterback and Thurman Thomas was a running back - And I hold both of those players in the highest regard. Of those 90's era teams, Bruce was the best player at any position on the team respective to each player's position. (in my opinion)

A lot of people hold Reggie White in higher regard, but to really appreciate what Bruce did you have to understand that playing in a 3-4 defense he saw double teams the majority of the time and sacks typically come from the rush linebackers not the DE, while Reggie saw a lot of single blocks playing his career in a 4-3 look where it the DE responsibility is to provide sacks. Bruce was the better athlete.

A lot of people hold Reggie White in higher regard, but to really appreciate what Bruce did you have to understand that playing in a 3-4 defense he saw double teams the majority of the time and sacks typically come from the rush linebackers not the DE, while Reggie saw a lot of single blocks playing his career in a 4-3 look where it the DE responsibility is to provide sacks. Bruce was the better athlete.

Exactly. Good point.

Dude...he was insane...

I don't think there is any question about that. JK & TT were great players, hall of fame players no question but Bruce Smith is on a very short list of GOAT. The only 2 other guys I could think of that disrupted an offense quite like Bruce was Reggie White & Lawrence Taylor. He was a pure pleasure to watch.