Thoughts in the 2016 Receiver Corps

Socal-805

All comes down to #5.

Cam Newton's WR Corp in 2015 was old Ted Ginn who has never been a complete WR, Undrafted Philly brown who wasn't even good in college, rookie Devin Funchess who is more of a TE hybrid, and journeyman JAG Jericho cotchery. This was after a 2014 season where he targeted Kelvin Benjamin about 10-15 times a game and had him take away. Yet they went to the SB. Because they were a complete team and because their QB balled out.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Looking at this group, the first thought that comes to mind is, who in the world thinks these guys can really compete in this league?

After you get past Sammy, there's not really anybody there but Woods, who is OK as a # 2, I guess.

Sammy and Woods combined for just over 100 catches and 10 TDs total.

That's not going to get it done. Bills finished 28 or 29 in league in receiving for 2015.

I have brought up the same issues with the receiver corps. It's why I wanted them to draft a WR early. Watkins can be a special WR, Woods is a serviceable #2 (although I'd rather have a speedster there to help draw coverage away from Watkins) and then there's not much. The hope is that a speedster can help. The TE corps after Clay is just JAGs. Watkins, Shady, Clay and Tyrod are all going to have to play at a high level and stay relatively healthy. Some other guys are going to have to step up and take advantage of the attention the afore mentioned players get from defenses.

I have brought up the same issues with the receiver corps. It's why I wanted them to draft a WR early. Watkins can be a special WR, Woods is a serviceable #2 (although I'd rather have a speedster there to help draw coverage away from Watkins) and then there's not much. The hope is that a speedster can help. The TE corps after Clay is just JAGs. Watkins, Shady, Clay and Tyrod are all going to have to play at a high level and stay relatively healthy. Some other guys are going to have to step up and take advantage of the attention the afore mentioned players get from defenses.

I think we would all be pleasantly suprised if a guy like Powell came in and gave us some solid play.....but because we use our backs so much there are plenty of pass catchers

Looking at this group, the first thought that comes to mind is, who in the world thinks these guys can really compete in this league?

After you get past Sammy, there's not really anybody there but Woods, who is OK as a # 2, I guess.

That's not going to get it done. Bills finished 28 or 29 in league in receiving for 2015.

Are you insane?

I think Woods is a solid WR2 in the NFL. Woods was hurt all last year & played through it, plus he & Clay were both very under-utilized last year. Sammy & Woods will be a top-10 WR duo this year.

Why is it the Bills change head coaches, they change offensive coordinators, QBs and other playmakers on offense and it seems most years (If not all) we end up talking about players not being utilized in the prior season? Even the offensive guru Chan Gailey says he wants a scatback, they waste a 1st round pick on CJ Spiller and then he doesn't use him enough. Last year it was Sammy for the 1st half of the season and also Clay for most of the year after giving him a big free agent contract.

Sammy is great, Woods is solid.... Clay is a damned good TE, McCoy and Bush are good receiving threats out of the backfield. Then you have the Goodwin x-factor.

That being said, there's a whole lot of nothing behind all of these guys... terrible depth.

Right. When they are all healthy AND on the field, it's pretty great. Each one of those guys missed multiple games last year.

Watkins 3

McCoy 4

Clay 3

Maybe this year will be different. IDK

If TT goes down... well....

watkins' totals before the bye week after 7 games: 147 yds and 2 tds. After the bye week and 9 games: 900 yds and 7 TDs.

I think they're going to be ok...

Btw, for a 16 game season, the latter set of stats puts him in the top 3 last year--Julio jones and Antonio brown were 1 and 2.

I thought there was a rule against noobs starting threads.. I'll have to look into it.

Anyway, what the Greenhorn conveniently dismisses is a pkg that includes Watkins, Woods, Bush, Clay & McCoy. Trap a run defense on the field and any one of these guys will be racing to the endzone with the ball. The days of Stallwoth/Swan, Rice/Taylor, Loftin/Reed are gone.