Thoughts in the 2016 Receiver Corps

Socal-805

Looking at this group, the first thought that comes to mind is, who in the world thinks these guys can really compete in this league?

After you get past Sammy, there's not really anybody there but Woods, who is OK as a # 2, I guess.

Sammy and Woods combined for just over 100 catches and 10 TDs total.

That's not going to get it done. Bills finished 28 or 29 in league in receiving for 2015.

Couple things:

One, Sammy is a borderline superstar. That can bail you out of a lot.

Two, with a good system, you can have an offense more than the sum of its parts. Chip Kelly's first year is a good example.

With a (hopefully) healthy Goodwin, you can finally again have two big speed threats on the outside. Tyrod's greatest strength is with the deep ball. If you can stretch the vertical on both sides, that really opens things up for Clay, Woods and Shady.

Shady has looked lethal in the short passing game.

Wait. So which is it? 28th or 29th? And by what metric?

Also, Clay is receiver 2B and he's one of the better pass-catching TE's in the league, he was just under utilized in 2015.

Also, with that kind of talent at TE, and with an emerging super star at WR, and with a lingering question mark at QB, it's still a run first offense, so how many wins do you lay at the feet of receivers 2A-5? 1?

Edited by The Big Cat

Couple things:

One, Sammy is a borderline superstar. That can bail you out of a lot.

Two, with a good system, you can have an offense more than the sum of its parts. Chip Kelly's first year is a good example.

With a (hopefully) healthy Goodwin, you can finally again have two big speed threats on the outside. Tyrod's greatest strength is with the deep ball. If you can stretch the vertical on both sides, that really opens things up for Clay, Woods and Shady.

Shady has looked lethal in the short passing game.

one: he will need to this year, and be more constant as well. Is he 100 % from surgery yet?

two: Goodwin can not stay healthy, period. If the Bills had anything at WR he doesn't make the roster IMO. He has 20 total receptions in 3 years.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/15839/marquise-goodwin

McCoy IS awesome...

Wait. So which is it? 28th or 29th? And by what metric?

Also, Clay is receiver 2B and he's one of the better pass-catching TE's in the league, he was just under utilized in 2015.

Also, with that kind of talent at TE, and with an emerging super star at WR, and with a lingering question mark at QB, it's still a run first offense, so how many wins do you lay at the feet of receivers 2A-5? 1?

BillsDaily and NFL.com

http://www.billsdaily.com/gameday/2016/bal/preview.shtml

one: he will need to this year, and be more constant as well. Is he 100 % from surgery yet?

two: Goodwin can not stay healthy, period. If the Bills had anything at WR he doesn't make the roster IMO. He has 20 total receptions in 3 years.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/15839/marquise-goodwin

McCoy IS awesome...

When it comes to Sammy, I am not worried. The timeline, even on the worst case scenario had him back week 1. That he only missed a week or 2 of training camp does not bother me.

But yeah, I am a bit worried about Goodwin making it the full year.

Looking at this group, the first thought that comes to mind is, who in the world thinks these guys can really compete in this league?

After you get past Sammy, there's not really anybody there but Woods, who is OK as a # 2, I guess.

That's not going to get it done. Bills finished 28 or 29 in league in receiving for 2015.

Dig deeper

Do RB's and TE's catch passes in this offense?

Dig deeper

Do RB's and TE's catch passes in this offense?

I'd venture that on a pure pass catching list clay is an above average but not elite #1 TE.

If bush is still solid, our backs are pretty good too.

But having a good #2 and 3 wr isn't suddenly unimportant. Hopefully a healthy woods pushes to be the good #2 and one of the others can be a good 3

I'd venture that on a pure pass catching list clay is an above average but not elite #1 TE.

If bush is still solid, our backs are pretty good too.

But having a good #2 and 3 wr isn't suddenly unimportant. Hopefully a healthy woods pushes to be the good #2 and one of the others can be a good 3

Not unimportant......but to me its just a scheme thing. You dont need 2 all pro wide receivers when your feeding your backs and TE ......Gronk is gonna get passes as well.

Then factor we will still be running the ball.....a lot....its not like TT is gonna be throwing for 400 yards a game all of a sudden. That is not Roman's offense.

Woods was severely injured all of last year playing on a torn groin which really limited what he could do...he gutted out the entire season last year and didn't say a word...expect a lot more from him this year...

Not unimportant......but to me its just a scheme thing. You dont need 2 all pro wide receivers when your feeding your backs and TE ......Gronk is gonna get passes as well.

Then factor we will still be running the ball.....a lot....its not like TT is gonna be throwing for 400 yards a game all of a sudden. That is not Roman's offense.

It surely helps take the pressure off the wr depth...

But it's pretty ridiculous to point to gronk at this point and only lends credence to the argument that he's making.

Our top two guys (Sammy and clay) have struggled to stay healthy and we don't have a ton of depth. We are hoping for a lot to go right, and scheme to help and our qb to take another step and.... It might all happen. A lot we should expect to happen but to be up there with the elite offenses we will need a few coin flips to come up our way.

Correct.

You're making my point for me: even WITH Clay and McCoy they ended up 28th in the league.

Try harder....

That had more to do with the offensive system in place than the talent. If Tyrod attempted 200 more passes obviously those numbers would have gone up

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

Chris Hogan started out as camp fodder and now some on the board want a statue of him in front of the new stadium whenever it is built. There is probably someone on the roster who we are not expecting that will have an impact at WR this year.

Edited by K-GunJimKelly12

Name a team in the NFL that has top 10 in the league at QB, RB, and WR....

Pittsburgh

Green Bay

I think the next closest teams are the Falcons and Bills....

Edit: Dallas could be close there too...

If someone a bit less optimistic wanted - it wouldn't be that hard to put together a compelling argument that we aren't top ten in any of them. Likewise possible to make a decent case for any of them (plus TE and certainly OL) to be top 10 this year with the right breaks.

Correct.

You're making my point for me: even WITH Clay and McCoy they ended up 28th in the league.

Try harder....

Um....NO.....your trying to insinuate that because we are running Roman's offense they are not gonna be good......

- Watkins was pretty much UNCOVERABLE the last year. You can make the point that if Watkins go down we dont have a legit 1...which is fair...but EVERY team in the league runs into that same problem.

- Your not taking into consideration that we have found our QB.....when you have found your unicorn who they are throwing to all of a sudden becomes less of an issue....not completely but by a great degree.

- Clay....prior to last year was a TOP 100 NFL PLAYER......you dont think he is not going to be a big part of this offense?

Its a wait and see

It surely helps take the pressure off the wr depth...

But it's pretty ridiculous to point to gronk at this point and only lends credence to the argument that he's making.

Our top two guys (Sammy and clay) have struggled to stay healthy and we don't have a ton of depth. We are hoping for a lot to go right, and scheme to help and our qb to take another step and.... It might all happen. A lot we should expect to happen but to be up there with the elite offenses we will need a few coin flips to come up our way.

I am not talking about Gronk as a proven NFL player....I am more pointing to the fact that last year Felton could not get onto the field and was not a scheme fit....and he was replaced with a player that is a scheme fit.

So in his case he is unproven....but he is in fact an extra option on the field because he is actually going to get onto the field...unlike Felton

Name a team in the NFL that has top 10 in the league at QB, RB, and WR....

Pittsburgh

Green Bay

I think the next closest teams are the Falcons and Bills....Edit: Dallas could be close there too...

I don't know if I'd call Lacy a top 10 back...2 or 3 years ago yeah, after he ate himself up to Karlos status not so much...and for all the talk of how good shape he got himself in the offseason, he looked fat as hell in the preseason game I watched against the 49ers... Edited by matter2003

If someone a bit less optimistic wanted - it wouldn't be that hard to put together a compelling argument that we aren't top ten in any of them. Likewise possible to make a decent case for any of them (plus TE and certainly OL) to be top 10 this year with the right breaks.

I said next closest.... We have a top 10 RB, a WR on the edge of it, and a QB that could be 10-15

I don't know if I'd call Lacy a top 10 back...2 or 3 years ago yeah, after he ate himself up to Karlos status not so much...and for all the talk of how good shape he got himself in the offseason, he looked fat as hell in the preseason game I watched against the 49ers...

Fat was equivalent to about 15 pounds with him... He's always had a fat face.... I think he will def be a top 10 back this year.... In some capacity... Maybe my version is different than some bc I play fantasy and I equate stats to points... Who knows