Ravens have "tons of weapons" on O...am I missing something?

eball

The last several Baltimore articles I've read talk about this unbelievable arsenal of weaponry at Joe Flacco's disposal -- what am I missing?

WR -- old man Smith coming off an achilles tear, old man Wallace who has lost a step, and the Crows' version of Glass Goodwin -- Breshad Perriman. Only Kamar Aiken, for crying out loud, has had recent success.

RB -- Forsett, West, Allen; West had a nice preseason but are these guys scaring anyone?

TE -- Watson on IR, Pitta just returned to practice, and (thus far) unimpressive Maxx Williams?

I'm really trying not to be a homer here...but if the Bills were trotting these guys out at our skill positions we'd all be pissing and moaning pretty loudly...right?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The last several Baltimore articles I've read talk about this unbelievable arsenal of weaponry at Joe Flacco's disposal -- what am I missing?

WR -- old man Smith coming off an achilles tear, old man Wallace who has lost a step, and the Crows' version of Glass Goodwin -- Breshad Perriman. Only Kamar Aiken, for crying out loud, has had recent success.

RB -- Forsett, West, Allen; West had a nice preseason but are these guys scaring anyone?

TE -- Watson on IR, Pitta just returned to practice, and (thus far) unimpressive Maxx Williams?

I'm really trying not to be a homer here...but if the Bills were trotting these guys out at our skill positions we'd all be pissing and moaning pretty loudly...right?

I think they brought in Mike Wallace as well, I'm not a fan of his but he could be a decent deep threat for Flacco. Pitta would be more of a concern if his health hadn't ravaged his career. I'm with you on this one, their skill positions are mehhhhh. Edited by Commonsense

I'm with ya - not to mention so many of their marquee players are coming off of injury.

If our D can continue to play like they did in pre-season, I feel like we'll be in good shape. Also, is it just me or is everyone ignoring the fact that our starting D played pretty well when they were in the games?

To be fair, even if we were trotting out an all-time all-star team at the skill positions there would still fans pissing and moaning! :D

Well if you are determining it by weight maybe the OL and TEs together weigh tons.

Kamar Aiken has become a very good WR, constantly being underestimated by his own team but Stephon Gilmore or Ronald Darby should be able to cover him.

Edited by Koolaid

I'm with ya - not to mention so many of their marquee players are coming off of injury.

If our D can continue to play like they did in pre-season, I feel like we'll be in good shape. Also, is it just me or is everyone ignoring the fact that our starting D played pretty well when they were in the games?

To be fair, even if we were trotting out an all-time all-star team at the skill positions there would still fans pissing and moaning! :D

Pissing and moaning is what some fans do best and enjoy the most since a lot of them disappear after a win.

People have a hard time taking the Bills seriously or giving them any credit because of their history of mediocrity and letdown.

On the flip side, the Ravens--who started 2015 (1-6)--get the benefit of the doubt because of their history.

They might be the all time mostly highly touted 5-11 team heading into week one.

People have a hard time taking the Bills seriously or giving them any credit because of their history of mediocrity and letdown.

On the flip side, the Ravens--who started 2015 (1-6)--get the benefit of the doubt because of their history.

They might be the all time mostly highly touted 5-11 team heading into week one.

The spread is 3 with the home team being favored, that is an indication that the game is even.

No. It's an indication of how people are betting.

Right. I would pay more attention to where someone is willing to put their money than any of these hacks making "bold predictions" in the media. Both teams have a lot to prove and some early season injuries and suspensions to endure. I see it as even with Baltimore being at home, I wouldn't touch this game either way.

Some Ravens fans are saying this is the deepest they've been at WR in years. I haven't watched enough in preseason to agree or disagree. We'll see in a few days

interesting. Could be, but lots of questions. Steve Smith could be future HOF but how effective is he at 37 coming off torn Achilles? Is he still a #1? Kamar Aiken is better than he was back in bills TC but is he a great #2? Better then Torrey smith or Anquan Boldin when they were there? Mike Wallace is a headcase and underutilized in Miami and minn where they hardly ever threw deep... He was very good with Big Ben who did... Could be a big weapon now in this offense with Flacco? Chris Moore is an interesting rookie from UC but still a rookie. Perriman was a big prospect last year and is very talented but has very few reps with Flacco between both of their injuries. Talent wise they might be strong but not a sure thing to be explosive right away. Edited by YoloinOhio

I don't think we should underestimate Perriman, Smith and Wallace. But Darby, Gilmore and Seymour should be good enough to handle it without too much safety help.

Pitta? Decent, but not game breaking.

See what I mean being underestimated? Kamar Aiken has matured and is a good WR now.

ALL teams have tons of weapons. ALL teams have personnel and schemes to neutralize the weapons. It comes down to a few players with special talent, the ability of coaches to make adjustments, and above all, execution. I think the Bills have an edge in talent, with Watkins, McCoy, Gilmore, and Hughes better than the Ravens' best. I am not sure I've ever seen Wrecks make effective adjustments on defense, but Roman does make good adjustments on O. As for execution, that has me worried. The same sloppiness that leads to so many penalties pervades the Bills' execution and costs them every game. For that, I blame Wrecks as well.

This is a winnable game. But the other factor I didn't mention above is the officials. The buffalo on their helmets must look like a target to the refs, based on the silly number of bad calls working against the Bills in the preseason.