seantrel Henderson facing 4 game suspension

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"OT Seantrel Henderson tested positive for marijuana, source said, which can be used to help deal with pain for his Crohn's disease."

I was wondering if the NFL was going to have to alter it's zero tolerance for weed with it being prescribed by doctors now.

they altered their zero tolerance for DV with Josh Brown. 1 game my arse.

With issues where the only one involved is the player and there aren't acts of harm toward others, the concern is making a concession to one player will open the floodgates for other players to expect similar exceptions in the future. In actuality, the NFL should be able to make distinctions based on each player's particular circumstances without jeopardizing the integrity of a policy.

Edited by YoloinOhio

"OT Seantrel Henderson tested positive for marijuana, source said, which can be used to help deal with pain for his Crohn's disease."

I was wondering if the NFL was going to have to alter it's zero tolerance for weed with it being prescribed by doctors now.

they have been relaxing the policy quite a bit -

they raised the benchmark to test positive, and pushed back suspension to a third offense.

it seems that long term that will be the direction it goes but its not there now.

I would recommend a concession to where he serves the 4 games (if he didn't notify the league of his prescription) but that he stays at the same stage of the program instead of advancing. If he did notify them, I would want it reduced or eliminated. The nflpa has its hands full with the next CBA.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Those are quality of life scores reported. People feel better when they get high. It doesn't affect the natural course of the disease itself and is not mainstream therapy by any means.

It's a banned substance so it doesn't matter why he "took" that medicine.

I'm not saying the league can't suspend him for it, but you and I have different definitions of what might be credible. You don't believe there's a possibility he was taking it as part of treatment because it doesn't cure his disease? Painkillers never cure a disease, it doesn't mean they're not used as part of treatment. It's obvious that you disagree with the decision he made (so do I for the record.) Doesn't mean you or I know why he made that decision.

It may be on Henderson because he knew the rules, but it also means that we don't have to blame him for being an idiot and have a little compassion for what he went through. Also Goodell should take that into consideration for his suspension if changing a phone number merits consideration. "Bell knew the rules"

This. If changing your phone number gets you a reduction in suspension, having a prescription for medical marijuana for pain relief in a condition that makes conventional pain killers like toradol inadvisable, should be considered.

Survival with Crohn's (a chronic disease) is not related to smoking weed...

Many aspects of "best practice" in treating chronic disease are not related to survival.

Actually it depends on the test conducted by the NFL. Henderson was likely prescribed CBD concentrate either in pill or oil form. CBD is the non-psychoactive cannabis element that kills pain and even suppresses appetite. If Henderson had high concentrations of THC the psychoactive ingredient which is not present in CBD products he's toast. To get a false positive test with CBD alone one would have to consume extremely high amounts of CBD that is not physically capable of consuming outside of 1000-2000mg daily of CBD oil.

This. If changing your phone number gets you a reduction in suspension, having a prescription for medical marijuana for pain relief in a condition that makes conventional pain killers like toradol inadvisable, should be considered.

what if he didnt have that prescription?

It may be ridiculous, but it's probably going to stand in spite of an appeal.

Regardless of how you feel about marijuana, it's a banned substance by the NFL, and simply having a prescription for it is a moot point, if for no other reason than because pretty much anyone over the age of 18 can get a medical marijuana card for whatever reason they can make up on a webcam.

That's not to say it's not helping Henderson with his condition. It's just to say it's a banned substance and if the NFL allows 'medical' marijuana as an exception, it may as well get rid of the ban altogether, and it's not going to do that with an illegal substance.

It's a different animal.

You can't get something like hydrocodone by talking to an anonymous doctor via Skype and complaining about a slight pain in your back.

I don't think this is accurate. It is quite easy to be prescribed opioids for pain relief. The current heroin crises plaguing the country is largely due to the widespread availability of drugs like oxycodone. My knowledge of the NFL's drug policy is very limited. Does anyone know if medically prescribed opioids are permitted? What about prescribed marijuana? My guess is that opioids are permitted but marijuana is not, which is quite odd given how much more dangerous opiodis are.

Should be a 4 game suspension if he never was prescribed MJ.

Should be a 1-2 game suspension if he was prescribed but never made the NFL aware of it beforehand.

There should be no suspension if he was prescribed and made the NFL aware of it beforehand.

Should be a 4 game suspension if he never was prescribed MJ.

Should be a 1-2 game suspension if he was prescribed but never made the NFL aware of it beforehand.

There should be no suspension if he was prescribed and made the NFL aware of it beforehand.

if the nfl turned him down on that -- you think they should overturn it fully? or is this the policy you would like to see in place?

Those are quality of life scores reported. People feel better when they get high. It doesn't affect the natural course of the disease itself and is not mainstream therapy by any means.

It's a banned substance so it doesn't matter why he "took" that medicine.

See above.

With all due respect, you have absolutely no idea what the hell you are talking about. First off, here is a link clearly showing severe/chronic pain as a symptom of Crohn's (.....which the weed can help with)

http://www.ccfa.org/what-are-crohns-and-colitis/what-is-crohns-disease/?referrer=https://www.google.com/

Second, why do you think more states are approving medicinal MJ despite the fact that it's not a "mainstream therapy"?

Third, I have firsthand experience to make this rebuttal. On 12/27/97 I almost lost my life in an MVA while in BUF for Christmas. After going to ECMC, among many other injuries I have been dealing with chronic, intractable, neuropathic lower back pain; since that time I have had a myriad of treatments done with no successful outcome until very recently. Unfortunately, part of my regimen has consisted of opioid painkillers, which I despise. Thank God I've been able to totally wean myself off one and I'm nearly done w/ the other.

I can tell you Mr. WEO that if medical MJ was legal in GA where I reside, I would have jumped on it in a NY minute.

What really steams me are people like you who 1) don't have all the facts & 2) have no idea what it's like to live with chronic pain.....unless you do

Sorry to get all fired up, but it's posts like yours which show complete ignorance.

Edited by BuffaninATL

I don't think this is accurate. It is quite easy to be prescribed opioids for pain relief.

I'd like to know your doctors because my family's doctors are adamant about not giving us anything heavy that isn't absolutely necessary.

But I can drive into Santa Ana, walk in a dispensary, talk to someone on a webcam, and leave with a pile of dope...all in about 20 minutes.

I'd like to know your doctors because my family's doctors are adamant about not giving us anything heavy that isn't absolutely necessary.

But I can drive into Santa Ana, walk in a dispensary, talk to someone on a webcam, and leave with a pile of dope...all in about 20 minutes.

Good, because one is dangerous and one is not

That's great that your doctor recognizes the problems associated with prescribing opioids and therefore acts cautiously when issuing them. But your personal experience does not change the fact that the over use of opioids has caused a national health crisis. The C.D.C. thinks so anyway.

Here's a recent story from the NY Times about the federal government issuing new guidelines on painkiller use.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/16/health/cdc-opioid-guidelines.html

"The guidelines are part of a growing backlash against practices developed two decades ago, when doctors across the country began prescribing opioids for routine pain amid claims by pharmaceutical companies and some medical experts that they could be used to treat common conditions like back pain and arthritis without addiction. Those claims ended up in court and were found to be false. Since then, opioid painkillers like OxyContin, Percocet and Vicodin have become the most widely prescribed drugs in the country, with sales of nearly $2 billion a year, according to IMS Health, a research firm that collects prescribing data."

But the questions here is whether NFL players are allowed to be prescribed powerful drugs like oxycontin and not marijuana?

Edited by buffalonian