MMQB: Scouting Buffalo -- Full of Anticipation

YoloinOhio

I wonder how much the helmet cams they've been using all summer has helped with Tyrod's development? Seems that would be a great way to review film with the QB coach and Roman to identify when and where the ball should have come out.

I'll certainly admit Brady* has made his living throwing to "spots" when it didn't appear there was anyone open. Their passing game is so precise he knows the receiver will be there, and he trusts the receiver to fight for any contested ball.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The thing in these articles I don't understand is the Wilson/Taylor contrasts: "Perhaps the biggest difference between Taylor and Wilson is that Wilson has a stout build and a natural sense for protecting himself on the move. Taylor has a lighter frame and is brimming with courage"

Taylor is listed as 6'1" (maybe if he sleeps on a board) and 215 lb.

Wilson is listed as 5'11" (maybe if he, too, sleeps on a board, but OK, he's shorter than Tyrod) and 203 lb.

Why is one seen as stout and one light? We're talking 2" and 12 lbs, which is close to the canonical 5 lbs weight/inch of height from an ideal body weight chart for men (and ironically, has them both well into the "overweight" range LOL). And Tyrod is a noted gym rat.

Agreed. The author obviously never saw the pic of TT and I can't remember the other Bill working out with his shirt off. It was posted on this board. He was thick, and ripped. T-Mobile is not fraile in any way. He was only out two games last year from an illegal horse collar (one of the most dangerous moves due to high risk of injury).

I've observed TT play smarter and smarter in protecting himself throughout last year, and in the preseason.

To be fair, it was true at least through the midpoint of last year. I remember someone breaking down Taylor's TD pass to Karlos in the Jets game, and he waited until he saw Karlos coming free.

Now, more time as a starter can help, but a lot of people never make the jump. Taylor still has ways to buy time to help with that, and that he does helps with his really low INT count.

This was the biggest problem for Losman and Edwards too. They were just scared to pull the trigger on those short routes in anticipation of the player being there...That is what Aikman, Marino, Manning and BRady did or do day-in/day-out.

The knock on Taylor running before he gives guys a chance to get open isn't accurate. Taylor made a point last year of waiting and waiting for guys to get open before taking off, often times to the detriment of how many yards he could gain by running. I don't want him to run more but to criticize the guy for taking off too early seems like he's bunching all "running QBs" together without having watched Taylor that much.

Sort of. You're correct that last year, Taylor would extend plays and use his legs to buy time for guys to get open rather than taking off to get yards with his legs.

The problem was, he would extend plays by rolling out of the pocket rather than stepping up into the pocket. By doing so, he would limit the available receivers he could target and sometimes not be able to see (or have a throwing lane to) open receivers. If I recall correctly, stepping up into the pocket more and finding his lanes, were on Whaley's post-season list of developments he wanted to see from Tyrod along with "learn to slide".

In general, I thought that was a pretty good piece - more balanced and Bills-knowledgeable than many in the national media. The one thing I don't get (and this isn't the first, and won't be the last) is why 5-11, 205 lb Wilson is considered "stocky" while 6'1", 215 lb Taylor is considered "slender" and more prone to breakage. 5 lbs/inch is the standard slope of male height-weight charts in their height range.

Andy Benoit's 2016 scouting report on the Bills

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/09/06/nfl-buffalo-bills-2016-scouting-report

Tyrod Taylor is not an anticipation passer, meaning he has to see a receiver break open before unleashing the ball. Can he change his ways in offense thats ready to take the next step?

That is exactly how I see Taylor; weak in short pass, unable to anticipate cuts so WRs which cannot stay on schedule will have issues and itchy feet.

"Roman doesnt have great weapons at his disposal..."

Then goes on to list McCoy, Watkins, and Clay. Jeez...how good do they need to be before they're great?

I wondered about that as well not that I think McCoy or Clay showed last year they should be labelled as great.

To me it is Wilson's ability to NOT take big hits that also makes him pretty special.

Exactly. Some smaller QBs in order to be successful develop the ability to anticipate hits and slide or dodge to avoid taking big damage. Not see TT that way.

"Roman doesnt have great weapons at his disposal..."

Then goes on to list McCoy, Watkins, and Clay. Jeez...how good do they need to be before they're great?

Just read the piece and that's exactly what I was going to post, with the addition: "not great but distinct." What the hell does that mean?