MMQB: Scouting Buffalo -- Full of Anticipation

YoloinOhio

Andy Benoit's 2016 scouting report on the Bills

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/09/06/nfl-buffalo-bills-2016-scouting-report

Tyrod Taylor is not an anticipation passer, meaning he has to see a receiver break open before unleashing the ball. Can he change his ways in offense thats ready to take the next step?

The thing in these articles I don't understand is the Wilson/Taylor contrasts: "Perhaps the biggest difference between Taylor and Wilson is that Wilson has a stout build and a natural sense for protecting himself on the move. Taylor has a lighter frame and is brimming with courage"

Taylor is listed as 6'1" (maybe if he sleeps on a board) and 215 lb.

Wilson is listed as 5'11" (maybe if he, too, sleeps on a board, but OK, he's shorter than Tyrod) and 203 lb.

Why is one seen as stout and one light? We're talking 2" and 12 lbs, which is close to the canonical 5 lbs weight/inch of height from an ideal body weight chart for men (and ironically, has them both well into the "overweight" range LOL). And Tyrod is a noted gym rat.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The thing in these articles I don't understand is the Wilson/Taylor contrasts: "Perhaps the biggest difference between Taylor and Wilson is that Wilson has a stout build and a natural sense for protecting himself on the move. Taylor has a lighter frame and is brimming with courage"

Wilson is listed as 5'11" (maybe if he, too, sleeps on a board, but OK, he's shorter than Tyrod) and 203 lb.

Why is one seen as stout and one light? We're talking 2" and 12 lbs, which is close to the canonical 5 lbs weight/inch of height from an ideal body weight chart for men (and ironically, has them both well into the "overweight" range LOL). And Tyrod is a noted gym rat.

Wilson has bigger guns

Other then that....I got nothin here

Look at them.

Wilson is thicker in the neck/arms/butt/thighs/calves. Tyrod is a bit more lean. It's not just how much they weigh, it's how they carry that weight.

They're talking about body type. Wilson has a thicker build. Taylor has to be more of a gym rat to get there. Wilson, not as much.

So, Wilson was built to take more hits, is what they're saying. However, Taylor has enough self-awareness to know he needs to build more muscle to make up for it. Personally, I don't think its as big of an issue as the media often makes it out to be. It's just a matter of running smartly.

Look at them.

Wilson is thicker in the neck/arms/butt/thighs/calves. Tyrod is a bit more lean. It's not just how much they weigh, it's how they carry that weight.

Put it better than I would have. Taylor is lean muscle and Wilson is bulky muscle would have been my description.

The critique of Taylor based on last year's performance is very fair. In suspect everything the writer mentioned are aspects of his game the Coaching Staff are working with him to improve, and that he will need to improve for the team to ultimately succeed. This is also why the Bills are unwilling to commit big dollars beyond this year. They need to see more. I am optimistic we will see more, but until we do, the criticism is fair.

Guys, Andy Benoit is one of the best in the business. I listen to his MMQB podcast every week - the guy knows football and is widely respected. That doesn't mean he's always right. But he's an actual analyst, not just a pundit. I wouldn't be so dismissive of what he has to say (Hemmet...)

Im not dismissing him

Just not agreeing with all of it......reading comp is a wonderful thing

Getting upset over people pointing out taylor's issues is sort of silly. He's not a top QB in the league. That's ok. The Bills don't need him to be one of the best.

Where did anyone say or demand he's a top QB in the NFL? Talk about a straw man argument.

The Bills will go as far as TT will take them and there's no getting around that fact. He's gotta step it up this season for Buffalo to go anywhere, and it'll be harder because opponents have a year of film on his strengths and weaknesses. Plus, the schedule most likely won't be as easy as last year's.

They're talking about body type. Wilson has a thicker build. Taylor has to be more of a gym rat to get there. Wilson, not as much.

So, Wilson was built to take more hits, is what they're saying. However, Taylor has enough self-awareness to know he needs to build more muscle to make up for it. Personally, I don't think its as big of an issue as the media often makes it out to be. It's just a matter of running smartly.

To me it is Wilson's ability to NOT take big hits that also makes him pretty special.

This is an aspect to TT's game that needs to improve (and frankly I have seen it this pre season)

Neither one of these QBs are biult to take big hits from 250 pound freight train LB's and 300 plus pound D linemen.....they both take really good care of their bodies but they are no Cardale Jones.

Where did anyone say or demand he's a top QB in the NFL? Talk about a straw man argument.

The Bills will go as far as TT will take them and there's no getting around that fact. He's gotta step it up this season for Buffalo to go anywhere, and it'll be harder because opponents have a year of film on his strengths and weaknesses. Plus, the schedule most likely won't be as easy as last year's.

"OVER THE MIDDLE"

Getting upset over people pointing out taylor's issues is sort of silly. He's not a top QB in the league. That's ok. The Bills don't need him to be one of the best.

I disagree. The Bills need Taylor to be one of the best if they are going to break that playoff drought. Taylor has issues, and maybe they can be fixed. If TT is not a top QB, the Bills will be mired in 7-9 land until they find a QB that is. Here's to hoping that TT builds on last season and gets to another level.

I know we feel the need here to criticise anything the national guys do about the Bills if it is anything other than overtly positive, but this is generally a good piece of analysis from someone who actually appears to have gone back and watched our games from last year before coming to his conclusion. Could you nit pick here and there with it? Sure... but overall I think this is a fair and reasonable assessment.