MMQB: Scouting Buffalo -- Full of Anticipation

YoloinOhio

Andy Benoit's 2016 scouting report on the Bills

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/09/06/nfl-buffalo-bills-2016-scouting-report

Tyrod Taylor is not an anticipation passer, meaning he has to see a receiver break open before unleashing the ball. Can he change his ways in offense thats ready to take the next step?

Edited by YoloinOhio

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tyrod Taylor is not an anticipation passer, meaning he has to see a receiver break open before unleashing the ball. Can he change his ways in offense thats ready to take the next step?

Nothing with being a little more discreet before unleashing ones balls.

I think Benoit has confused Manuel with Taylor. Otherwise, that statement is just plain nuts.

I think Benoit has confused Manuel with Taylor. Otherwise, that statement is just plain nuts.

To be fair, it was true at least through the midpoint of last year. I remember someone breaking down Taylor's TD pass to Karlos in the Jets game, and he waited until he saw Karlos coming free.

Now, more time as a starter can help, but a lot of people never make the jump. Taylor still has ways to buy time to help with that, and that he does helps with his really low INT count.

He is entitled to his opinion

It doesnt bother me if someone does not want to compare TT to Wilson......but the reason to do it is not because of "biuld"

I thought Tyrod in preseason this year was doing a much better job of protecting his body when he runs......last year he was just trying to make the damn team and then after that keep his starting position.

Interesting point about Taylor.

Just last night, Chad Kelly threw a really nice TD pass in complete anticipation of the WR getting open in the end zone. When the ball left Chad's hand, the WR was engaged with the defender around the goal line. Chad let her rip and threw a strike based on faith, basically, that his man would get open. The moment he did, the ball hit him.

Taylor definitely needs to work on that aspect of his game.

#10 on Hughes... And bonus is he'll be on the left end this year against less athletic RTs with that killer redirect move.

I'm really excited for Hughes. He's the man this year.

Just last night, Chad Kelly threw a really nice TD pass in complete anticipation of the WR getting open in the end zone. When the ball left Chad's hand, the WR was engaged with the defender around the goal line. Chad let her rip and threw a strike based on faith, basically, that his man would get open. The moment he did, the ball hit him.

Guess who wants to draft Chad Kelly...

Did you see the TD pass to Shady against the Giants? Tyrod didn't wait for an open man.

The knock on Taylor running before he gives guys a chance to get open isn't accurate. Taylor made a point last year of waiting and waiting for guys to get open before taking off, often times to the detriment of how many yards he could gain by running. I don't want him to run more but to criticize the guy for taking off too early seems like he's bunching all "running QBs" together without having watched Taylor that much.

Yeah, I just went back and looked. Oh well. :doh:

It shows that he does have the arm talent to make up for a lack of anticipation at times, though.

The knock on Taylor running before he gives guys a chance to get open isn't accurate. Taylor made a point last year of waiting and waiting for guys to get open before taking off, often times to the detriment of how many yards he could gain by running. I don't want him to run more but to criticize the guy for taking off too early seems like he's bunching all "running QBs" together without having watched Taylor that much.

I agree. Taylor was one of the most sacked QBs partly because of his willingness to hang in there. Lack of anticipation and terrible pass protection also contributed.

Getting upset over people pointing out taylor's issues is sort of silly. He's not a top QB in the league. That's ok. The Bills don't need him to be one of the best.

Exactly.

And the article was damn good. Nuanced. Balanced. Not your typical national media puff piece.