SI NFL: Each AFC Team's Underrated & Overrated Players

26CornerBlitz

Unfiltered scouting takes on each AFC team’s most overrated, underrated players

As the anticipation builds for Week 1, teams (and fans) are finalizing their preparation for another long march through the NFL regular season. But misperceptions abound after a full off-season of hype and coachspeak, setting teams and players up to fall well short of expectations. Luckily, the tape never lies. Which Pro Bowlers are getting by on name recognition only? Which rising stars should be hearing their name more often? A rival scout, whose identity is not being disclosed in exchange for his candor, gives quick takes on the players being overlooked—and the ones being overhyped—on each AFC team entering the 2016 season

Underrated: Ronald Darby

Overrated: Charles Clay

Extra Point
When you look at where this team has been and where they are going, [general manager] Doug Whaley has really done a heck of a job, whether it was with Doug Marrone or working with Rex Ryan. From a personnel standpoint, of bringing talent to upstate New York, he’s really done a good job of not overthinking this.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

I have already expressed my pessimism going into this season. But I'm relatively optimistic about Clay. I think he could have a very nice season, providing he and Tyrod stay healthy. Hard to contribute when not in uniform on game day.

And another stupid use of "upstate New York" by a national media idiot.

I have already expressed my pessimism going into this season. But I'm relatively optimistic about Clay. I think he could have a very nice season, providing he and Tyrod stay healthy. Hard to contribute when not in uniform on game day.

Certainly something to keep an eye on, but Clay is a big key in both the run and pass game.

Certainly something to keep an eye on, but Clay is a big key in both the run and pass game.

Clay was on the field for something like 95% of the offensive plays last season. He really doesn't get enough credit for his blocking ability and I think they'll use him more in the passing game this season as well, should be a good year for Clay.

Yes Upstate New York is Albany to Adirondacks (as in upwind from stench of NYC); we are Western NY.

its very hard to find an overrated guy on the buffalo roster but can find underrated easily.

I think last year showed in bold capital letters how important Kyle Williams is. He's been a pro bowler 4 times and all NFL - that's both leagues people twice.

Overrated if forced I would say Corey Graham.

Charles Clay had a good season, with the season on ice he didn't play the last 3 games still had 51 receptions - if he has average days he finishes with 63 for the year which would have put him 11th in the league on an offense that average less than 30 passes per game while your saints, chargers, and ravens averaged over 40 attempts per game. Albeit your not gonna win

Edited by CardinalScotts

Funny I like Darby but it will only be his second year. I could see calling him overrated actually.

And Clay, I think is underrated.

My own choices would be that Kyle Williams is overrated and Robert Woods, who has been an unwarranted punching bag, is underrated.

Not that anyone outside of Buffalo even knows him but within the realm of Bills fans, Gillislee is overrated and IMO Miller is underrated.

There are a few ways to go but I will say:

Underrated (outside of Bills fans) - Sammy Watkins

Overrated (outside of Bills fans) - Kyle Williams

Underrated (amongst Bills fans) - Colton Schmidt

Overrated (amongst Bills fans) - Robert Woods

Underrated (inside of Bills fans) - Erie County Sheriff's baton

Overrated (inside of Bills fans) - Goldschlager

There are a few ways to go but I will say:

Underrated (outside of Bills fans) - Sammy Watkins

Overrated (outside of Bills fans) - Kyle Williams

Underrated (amongst Bills fans) - Colton Schmidt

Overrated (amongst Bills fans) - Robert Woods

woods would have and could have been the best WR to hit free agency this year. The guy has never had a QB or been on a passing team. He has better stats than Sanu, Jones, others. He blocks better and plays special teams positions better.

woods would have and could have been the best WR to hit free agency this year. The guy has never had a QB or been on a passing team. He has better stats than Sanu, Jones, others. He blocks better and plays special teams positions better.

He had almost 300 yards less and 1 less TD than Jones FWIW.

Again, this is why I say that he is overrated amongst us. He doesn't have any skills that differentiate him other than blocking. He was 72nd in the NFL in receiving yards, 78th in catches, 83rd in TDs and 65th in targets. I know that people here hate hearing it but he's just a guy.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

We did this last year... it was where I remember telling you all Percy Harvin was overrated and would miss at least half of the season injured.

Okay for this year I am going to say:

Underrated: Preston Brown. I just think he is a good football player. I see a lot of people hammering his coverage skills but the guy can flat out cover. His rookie year he scored in PFFs top 3 coverage linebackers and whilst I don't think PFF is everything that matches waht my eyes saw. Last year he looked dreadful in coverage not because he can't cover he has shown he can... but because he was totally confused by the scheme. I saw it myself in London. He was getting so frustrated with plays not getting in and not knowing who his guy was. If Preston has got the scheme down this year he will have a seriously monster bounceback.

Overrated: Goodwin on this board (there are still people who talk about his "skill set". Being fast is not a skill if you can't play. But overall and with regret at this stage in his career I think it might be Kyle Williams love Kyle but at 33 and playing end in a 3-4 I am not sure I see a difference maker there anymore. I would absolutely love to be proven totally wrong.

We did this last year... it was where I remember telling you all Percy Harvin was overrated and would miss at least half of the season injured.

Okay for this year I am going to say:

Underrated: Preston Brown. I just think he is a good football player. I see a lot of people hammering his coverage skills but the guy can flat out cover. His rookie year he scored in PFFs top 3 coverage linebackers and whilst I don't think PFF is everything that matches waht my eyes saw. Last year he looked dreadful in coverage not because he can't cover he has shown he can... but because he was totally confused by the scheme. I saw it myself in London. He was getting so frustrated with plays not getting in and not knowing who his guy was. If Preston has got the scheme down this year he will have a seriously monster bounceback.

Overrated: Goodwin on this board (there are still people who talk about his "skill set". Being fast is not a skill if you can't play. But overall and with regret at this stage in his career I think it might be Kyle Williams love Kyle but at 33 and playing end in a 3-4 I am not sure I see a difference maker there anymore. I would absolutely love to be proven totally wrong.

Almost used Preston Brown as underrated. He and Cordy Glenn were considered (although Glenn's contract may have moved him out of that tier).

Now that he's found a scheme that fits him well, I think I'm in danger of underappreciating Eric Wood. Under Doug Marrone, I felt that Wood was somewhere between average and lousy on a week-to-week basis.

He was much improved last year and I've officially stopped dogging him at every turn.

Agreed, last year at this time he was the easy choice for overrated. Last year was the best year that he has had in a Bills uniform.

He had almost 300 yards less and 1 less TD than Jones FWIW.

Again, this is why I say that he is overrated amongst us. He doesn't have any skills that differentiate him other than blocking. He was 72nd in the NFL in receiving yards, 78th in catches, 83rd in TDs and 65th in targets. I know that people here hate hearing it but he's just a guy.

look at their careers. Look at the Bengals offensive and how they okay. We Dont ply like that

Agreed, last year at this time he was the easy choice for overrated. Last year was the best year that he has had in a Bills uniform.

I'm really looking forward to him against Brandon WIlliams on Sunday. That's one mean hombre.

As far as overrated players go, I'm more the type that clings to pre-draft assessment rather than a lot of pure delusions about talent/performance.

look at their careers. Look at the Bengals offensive and how they okay. We Dont ply like that

Jones: 43 career games, 134 catches, 1,729 yards, 15 TDs, 40.2 YPG

Woods: 44 career games, 152 catches, 1,838 yards, 11 TDs, 41.77 YPG

I am not on the Marvin Jones train at all. I realize that we don't play like that. What about Woods' game is underrated? I would think that a possession receiver would be higher than 78th in catches especially considering that he was 65th in targets. He doesn't make explosive game changing plays and he doesn't command extra coverage. He is an okay possession receiver. He would be a 3rd option on most NFL teams.

Seriously. He wasn't talking about Dutchess or Orange.