can the Bills win more with less talent ?

....lybob

Looking at the Bills roster this year I'd say they have less talent than the team that started 2015

Gone Mario Williams, Manny Lawson, Nigel Bradham, Karlos Williams, Chris Hogan,

Injured Shaq Lawson, Reggie Ragland , Chris Gragg

Suspended 4 games Marcell Dareus

What the Bills did not get done in the off-season - Big red zone WR, better TE depth, another pass rusher,

The good news is it seems Watkins, Clay, McCoy, and Taylor may all play together in relatively good health for the first game, IMO for the Bills to make the play offs none of these guys can miss more than 1 game

On defense I'll guess we will see if buy in to Rex's scheme can overcome loss of talent

Edited by ....lybob

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking at the Bills roster this year I'd say they have less talent than the team that started 2015

What the Bills did not get done in the off-season - Big red zone WR, better TE depth, another pass rusher,

The good news is it seems Watkins, Clay, McCoy, and Tailor may all play together in relatively good health for the first game, IMO for the Bills to make the play offs none of these guys can miss more than 1 game

On defense I'll guess we will see if buy in to Rex's scheme can overcome loss of talent

can people manage to post more with less ability to spell the starting QB's name correctly?

Since none of the players were added to list except those injured (i.e.Lawson & Reggie Ragland listed but Zach Brown and Washington not) you are trying to frame discussion in direction you wish it go.

Debate class taught me that when someone starts discussion like that it is a sign of a weak argument.

Better way to look at as losses AND gains.

I am wondering why non of the additions to the team have been mentioned.

- We do in fact have a coverage linebacker (one of the better ones in the NFL as a matter of fact) in Zach Brown

- We did in fact draft a pass rushing DL in Adolphus Washington who frankly has looked pretty sharp for a rookie

- We did in fact get Kyle Williams back from his injury where he got hurt early last year...that and Aaron WIlliams were both big losses for us.

As a matter of fact.....the only thing we lost from last year's team was Mario Willaims.....who....well i wont get into it has been done to death

Marcel is not lost for the year....its a 4 game suspension.....still another 12 games to play after that in the regular season

We are in fact getting our 1st round pick Shaq Lawson back at some point this season. I dont really want to comment on what we get this year from Shaq......except that we are going to get to see him.

Did we really lose that much?

It's not his fault that Ramsay cut off his nuts, he was good before then.

For the life of me, I don't get why more Bills fans can't see this?

Mario was great the years before the 4-12 Jets HC got to Buffalo and he made the pro bowl in 2013 under Pettine with 13 sacks. Made the pro bowl under Schwartz with 14.5 sacks. There was a real reason why the thread count reached the highest I've ever seen in this forum about signing an elite pass rushing free agent DE and when the team did sign him the gave him a 100 million dollar contract.

Last season the new coaching staff not only failed to properly motivate an elite player and made him so unhappy that he wanted out of a previous great situation. Is it the player's fault that the coaches improperly used him in a bad scheme to the effect that he went public with his disdain about the entire situation. Asking an elite pass rusher to not rush the passer and to stay in place to handle a 300+ LB OT while playing gap control and when he wasn't doing this he was asked to drop into pass coverage far too often. Even HoF Bills QB Jim Kelly was questioning his misuse in the new defensive scheme under Ryan.

Anyway, losing the very best pass rusher this team has had since Bruce Smith will have a negative effect on the defense and now the team has only one decent outside pass rusher! Plus, lost it's best inside rusher for the first four games due to a suspension.

It will be up to this year's defensive coaching staff to do the job they are getting paid to do and that is coach up the players they have and put forth an effective game plan that will work to stop the opposing offense. Hopefully, do a better job than they did last year in being the worst team in the league in QB pressures. This coaching staff and the Ryan Bro's have a lot to prove this season!

Edited by Nihilarian

The good news is it seems Watkins, Clay, McCoy, and Taylor may all play together in relatively good health for the first game, IMO for the Bills to make the play offs none of these guys can miss more than 1 game

I don't consider Mario Williams, Manny Lawson, Nigel Bradham, and Chris Hogan lost "Talent"

Mario was great the years before the 4-12 Jets HC got to Buffalo and he made the pro bowl in 2013 under Pettine with 13 sacks. Made the pro bowl under Schwartz with 14.5 sacks. There was a real reason why the thread count reached the highest I've ever seen in this forum about signing an elite pass rushing free agent DE and when the team did sign him the gave him a 100 million dollar contract.

Last season the new coaching staff not only failed to properly motivate an elite player and made him so unhappy that he wanted out of a previous great situation. Is it the player's fault that the coaches improperly used him in a bad scheme to the effect that he went public with his disdain about the entire situation. Asking an elite pass rusher to not rush the passer and to stay in place to handle a 300+ LB OT while playing gap control and when he wasn't doing this he was asked to drop into pass coverage far too often. Even HoF Bills QB Jim Kelly was questioning his misuse in the new defensive scheme under Ryan.

Anyway, losing the very best pass rusher this team has had since Bruce Smith will have a negative effect on the defense and now the team has only one decent outside pass rusher! Plus, lost it's best inside rusher for the first four games due to a suspension.

It will be up to this year's defensive coaching staff to do the job they are getting paid to do and that is coach up the players they have and put forth an effective game plan that will work to stop the opposing offense. Hopefully, do a better job than they did last year in being the worst team in the league in QB pressures. This coaching staff and the Ryan Bro's have a lot to prove this season!

Poor baby. Rex didn't motivate him enough. I guess counting his millions wasn't enough motivation. Maybe Rex could have put gold stars on his locker mini-fridge.

yep. But we had to rid ourselves of him or Rex. Mario quit on the team which is more than Rex who totally lost the team.

the thread needs to be balanced with additions. Then a decent argument can be made.

But yes, a decent Coach will overcome such things if he has reasonable depth.

Which i find as important if not more so than having a couple probowlers.

A Rex Ryan Defense is more about the scheme than "star" players. If the Defense can play together, not like last year, than they can be very good.Corners are the key to a Rex Defense, and the Bills have good Corners. And later in the year we get Dareus and Lawson. I believe Tyrod, Watkins and McCoy will have Probowl years and carry the team to 10-6 and a playoff spot.

Edited by bisonbrigade

Poor baby. Rex didn't motivate him enough. I guess counting his millions wasn't enough motivation. Maybe Rex could have put gold stars on his locker mini-fridge.

It's not just about motivating a single player. It's about putting all the players in a situation to best utilize their talents and last year's coaching staff not only failed to do that but also managed to get both the best players on that all pro D-line upset about how they were being utilized. So upset that both Mario and Marcell went to the media to vent their disdain.

In my view, Mario was nothing more than the Bills fans scapegoat in defending a bad HC hire that took a team with playoff-caliber talent on both sides of the ball and only managed 8-8. Some Bills fans are still defending a coach who ruined a great defensive line with the wrong scheme and now expect things to change just because it's a different year. I'll believe it when I see it on the field.