Please explain peoples want to be the Browns

Rex's Defense wasn't the problem when he was losing for the Jets. He lost because of the offense. His fault, yes, but his defense wasn't some tire fire except for the last season.

He makes bad coaching decisions. He doesn't know how to handle an offense. He seems clueless how to instill discipline in a team without his players losing their edge.

There's many things to criticize Ryan for, but his defensive scheme is not one of them.

Agreed, but we have Roman. It screams from all press conferences Roman runs the entire offense. I'm fine with that as I remember the days where Monte Kiffin owned the defense back in the day in Tampa as he delivered a top 10 defense for the Bucs for 10 years, many of them too 5. Gruden came in to run the offense.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Failure is a tough word to throw around. Would you call a player who lost in the Super Bowl a failure to their face? I don't think you know what the word failure means. There is failure and there is falling short of your goals.

What would you call losing the first playoff game seven times?

Continuity only works when you have quality people in the first place. Then you keep them together as long as possible and build a strong team.

But if you are starting out with the wrong people, keeping them together forever is not going to help all on its own.

The question is whether or not Rex and his staff are worth keeping.

Agree. And it doesn't necessarily hang on winning or losing, which has an element beyond the team's control to it - injuries, lucky bounces, bad calls by refs.

What I want to see is a well-disciplined, well-prepared team that goes hard, whistle to whistle - every game.

I want to see a well-designed game plan, with adjustments at half time - every game.

I would like to see a scheme that is suited to the talents of the players, putting players in a position to succeed - especially true after a coach has a couple seasons to bring in talent.

If we see significant improvement on those fronts, it doesn't make sense to change.

But if we don't, then this comes into play:

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0535/6917/products/consistencydemotivator.jpeg?v=1414004030

Agree. And it doesn't necessarily hang on winning or losing, which has an element beyond the team's control to it - injuries, lucky bounces, bad calls by refs.

What I want to see is a well-disciplined, well-prepared team that goes hard, whistle to whistle - every game.

I want to see a well-designed game plan, with adjustments at half time - every game.

I would like to see a scheme that is suited to the talents of the players, putting players in a position to succeed - especially true after a coach has a couple seasons to bring in talent.

If we see significant improvement on those fronts, it doesn't make sense to change.

But if we don't, then this comes into play:

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0535/6917/products/consistencydemotivator.jpeg?v=1414004030

we had great momentum with this, too. What Marrone instilled was discipline. And he really let our team leaders take strong roles in the organization. We have lost those leaders, in a sense, at least it seems that way. A-aron staying injured, Kyle Williams injured, Fred Jackson gone, bradham gone, spikes was gone and Steve johnson has long been gone. Fitz was also a leader. Wood is the only leader we have in a true leadership role returning from 2015. Incognito developed in to one, also, it seems.

These guys have not been replaced by younger guys. Brown, Darby, Gilmore, McCoy, Taylor, others... it doesn't seem like we have it and I look at Rex. Teams are lead by leaders, not coaches.

Further, we bring in a strong former player with an over the top personality because he was that damn good - Ed Reed, and I feel it may diminish what can be made of leaders as Reed may dominant the role. This is total speculation with no basis. The former thoughts seem reasonable to ascertain.

Agreed, but we have Roman. It screams from all press conferences Roman runs the entire offense. I'm fine with that as I remember the days where Monte Kiffin owned the defense back in the day in Tampa as he delivered a top 10 defense for the Bucs for 10 years, many of them too 5. Gruden came in to run the offense.

We had a bloke here who was running a top 5 defense........ what did we do with him?

Rex's Defense wasn't the problem when he was losing for the Jets. He lost because of the offense. His fault, yes, but his defense wasn't some tire fire except for the last season.

He makes bad coaching decisions. He doesn't know how to handle an offense. He seems clueless how to instill discipline in a team without his players losing their edge.

There's many things to criticize Ryan for, but his defensive scheme is not one of them.

The facts just don't support this. His scheme with the jets:

Starting at1,then 6, 20,20,19,24. But it's someone else's fault even though the offense didn't suck much differently from year 1 to year 6.

The same 'scheme' took a top 5 defense to middling in buffalo, but there was some excuses for that, Mario, buy in, injuries, moon phase.

The Ravens were just as good if not better before and after his DC tenure... But I'm sure it was either his influence as an underling or the remnants of his genius to explain that...

No, there are plenty of facts and mixed results to scrutinize Rex's scheme.

Now the bills revamped front seven fits his scheme better and he damn well better deliver and remind us how his second generation buddy ball will lead to NFL dominance. Given what the organization has given his defense this off season, I don't see him explaining another subpar performance away.

Not saying the facts of his history perclude him from actually delivering, but how he has constructed this aurua of unadulterated defensive genius is baffling... well until you hear him on a podium. He CAN sell...

Why do people want to go backwards with coaching every year?

I keep seeing on here that people think or want Rex and company to be fired by mid-season. Why? What good will that do?

I guess some people aren't sick of the playoff drought yet or something, because bringing a coach in every 2 years does nothing for winning, just look at the Cleveland Browns.

Bringing a new GM every 2 years doesn't help a team either for those DW haters.

It is absurd that (EDIT: when) debating a football team's success there is no middle ground. Only "love" or "hate." I don't hate Doug Whaley, only that criticism of the GM makes one a "hater." For some reason, he is rarely, if ever open to criticism when the team for which he is charged with improving hasn't done that, or it is blamed on someone else or uncontrollable situation.

I'd like for someone to explain to me what Doug Whaley's plan is to get this team into the playoffs. He's gone from banking on Manuel in 2013-14 (including the Watkins trade), to spending big in 2015 on free agents, to this year when they went all defense in the draft. During this time, he was not the driving force behind acquiring Taylor, who Rex badly wanted when HC with NYJ. (EDIT: He's all over the map)

The Browns made significant changes this year, hiring analytics guru Paul DePodesta and new HC Hue Jackson. No one knows if those changes will succeed, but they've charted a new course. Their owner clearly saw front office dysfunction and did something quite radical. The Bills meanwhile, continue to employ many of the same people who were there when RW owned the team, including Whaley. These management types have proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that they can't get it done and this off-season may well be their most embarrassing one yet. I know TPegs want to show loyalty, but in the process (as with the Sabres) he's relying on inadequate management.

Now it's time to cue the usual suspects who defend the indefensible.

Edited by BillsVet

Silver is tight with Jackson. A friend of mine (a news journalist who will remain nameless but works in San Fran) is good friends with Silver. That is how I know that Jackson thought he was was getting the Bills job in 2015. He had held initial discussions with Schwartz about staying on as DC and had begun placing calls to other guys he wanted for his staff. He was flabbergasted when the news broke on the Saturday that they were hiring Rex.

I shared his flabbergast-ment

Failure is a tough word to throw around. Would you call a player who lost in the Super Bowl a failure to their face? I don't think you know what the word failure means. There is failure and there is falling short of your goals.

yeah, I know what the word failure means, a very common definition of it would be a 'lack of success' (try typing in 'define failure' into Google.......)

Are you tying to say that a pro sports team, who's main goal is to win a championship, is successful even though they didn't reach their ultimate goal? You must support the 'everyone is a winner and gets a trophy' mentality of today.

And I would say to a player that they failed to reach their goal of the season by losing in the Superbowl, and I would guarantee almost 99% of the losing team would agree and say the same thing.