SI NFL: Fatal Clock Management Errors by NFL Coaches

26CornerBlitz

That's a really good article.

One of the things that has always puzzled me is why when teams are on defense just before the two minute warning and the team on offense snaps it with say 2:15 on the clock... runs a play... it takes 4 seconds leaves say 2:11 on the clock why call timeout? Let those 11 seconds run - the 2 minute warning stops the clock. Unless that play was third down and you are going to make them punt to you before the 2 minute warning there is no argument there for calling the timeout. You are better saving that time out and using it when you get the ball back on offense because it allows you to keep more of your play book open (ie. the middle of the field which teams in 2 minute offense generally leave more open) without needing to potentially waste downs clocking the ball. It has infuriated me for years.

One of the things that has always puzzled me is why when teams are on defense just before the two minute warning and the team on offense snaps it with say 2:15 on the clock... runs a play... it takes 4 seconds leaves say 2:11 on the clock why call timeout? Let those 11 seconds run - the 2 minute warning stops the clock. Unless that play was third down and you are going to make them punt to you before the 2 minute warning there is no argument there for calling the timeout. You are better saving that time out and using it when you get the ball back on offense because it allows you to keep more of your play book open (ie. the middle of the field which teams in 2 minute offense generally leave more open) without needing to potentially waste downs clocking the ball. It has infuriated me for years.

I believe most coaches prefer the 11 seconds and the ball if that was 3rd down, and to use the 2 min to stop the clock and to keep their TO.

That way they can drive the field and use the TO to bring in the kick team, or stop the the clock if they are stopped before getting out of bounds.

I believe most coaches prefer the 11 seconds and the ball if that was 3rd down, and to use the 2 min to stop the clock and to keep their TO.

That way they can drive the field and use the TO to bring in the kick team, or stop the the clock if they are stopped before getting out of bounds.

If it is 3rd down and you are making them punt call the time out. If it is 2nd down what the hell are you calling time out for? Let the 2 min warning stop the clock. You will save more seconds using that TO on offense.

Nice article. But no mention of our very own Rex. :huh:

Speaking of clock (mis)managenent, has anyone noticed that Rex usually goes into his "prevent" D at the end of the half. He also did this with the Jets. I'd love to know how often teams wind up with 3 or 7 during this soft D.

I always get a laugh when "professional" coaches take cheap shots at the fans, and those "professionals" think that fans could never be proficient at what they do.

Sure, just like ANYTHING, 100% of the general public could not do EVERY job out there well (I'm talking ALL jobs, not just NFL gigs or other sports). BUT, what coaches do is NOT rocket science or brain surgery and I could think of MANY, MANY careers which require more intelligence, creativity, and versatility than NFL (or other major sports) coaches. Look at some of the NBA and/or NHL dynasties...you think they were that great because of coaching? Get real.

IF an NFL head coach can't handle the responsibilities of properly managing the clock, then they should hire an assistant to do nothing but that task. I mean, Christ, how many different assistants do they already employ!?

My favorite is the QB calling Timeout instead of just taking a delay of game penalty early in the second half...inevitably the lack of timeouts hurt them later in the game far more than the 5 yards he saved them did...

Edited by matter2003

My favorite is the QB calling Timeout instead of just taking a delay of game penalty early in the second half...inevitably the lack of timeouts hurt them later in the game far more than the 5 yards he saved them did...

+1.

My favorite bad clock management was Broncos v Bills. 3rd and 5 for Bills with about 2:30 left, Broncos have 1 TO left. A nice handoff here, Broncos use last TO, and there's no way Elam kicks that last minute field goal. But noooooo, Dickie J gets a brain cramp and dials up an incomplete bomb to Lee Evans. Broncos say thank you for the free timeout and kick a walkoff FG for the win.

I like in the article how the coach laughs at those of us at home and says we'd melt under the pressure. Condescend much? The second I saw that play, I knew the Bills screwed up, and so did just about everyone else on this board. I'd love to do NFL clock management. Many of us could do a better job than the coaches getting paid millions to screw it up.

It is also interesting that the article mentions Arians. I think he is a really good Head Coach but he is not a good clock manager in a traditional sense. Even late in close games he still airs the ball out rather than use the clock to his advantage. But that is the type of Head Coach he is. He is a risk taker. He wants to throw down the field on offense and he wants his D-coordinator to blitz the hell out of the opposition on defense. If an Arians team is going to go down he is going to go down swinging.

If it is 3rd down and you are making them punt call the time out. If it is 2nd down what the hell are you calling time out for? Let the 2 min warning stop the clock. You will save more seconds using that TO on offense.

But here the advantage of calling before the 2-minute warning on 2nd..especially if more than .08 seconds. You can absolutely guarantee a run in that situation, cause coaches always want to do what will gather least amount of criticism if play does not work. The oppostion knows if he passes and goes incomplete, he will get killed for not "forcing" you to use your TO, and giving your team a "free 30" as they love to say

Not sure if i am explaining that correctly, but hope i am

has driven me nuts for 45 years...and i am only 53. At 8 i knew this was a dumb thing to do....and they all do it :wallbash::doh:

Edited by plenzmd1

It is also interesting that the article mentions Arians. I think he is a really good Head Coach but he is not a good clock manager in a traditional sense. Even late in close games he still airs the ball out rather than use the clock to his advantage. But that is the type of Head Coach he is. He is a risk taker. He wants to throw down the field on offense and he wants his D-coordinator to blitz the hell out of the opposition on defense. If an Arians team is going to go down he is going to go down swinging.

What's a Gooner?

Yeah but because Arians has had some success he is lauded for this mentality, when really it's pretty stupid. There's no better example than the Packers game referenced in the article.

What's a Gooner?

Ha. I think this is the 3rd time I will explain this but here goes....

So a "Gooner" is a nickname for an Arsenal FC supporter (soccer club based here in London of whom I am a lifelong fan). The name Arsenal comes from the fact is was started by workers at a munitions factory and hence the club's official nickname is "The Gunners" (hence my screen name here GunnerBill - literally a Gunner and a Bill). That in cockney London parlance is colloquially pronounced "Gooners". Last week the best dressed pictures before the Detroit game pictured EJ in an Arsenal FC jersey.

I'm willing to forgive him any deficiencies as a Quarterback for this demonstration of first class taste.