Musk Blows Up Facebook's Satellite

Dante

I'm not sure that Musk blew it up, but it sure looks like someone did.

It should be noted that while the Facebook was to be one of the primary users of the satellite scheduled to be launched, as the LA Times reminds us the satellite itself was Israeli and Facebook was just one of several users: ( http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-spacex-impacts-20160901-snap-story.html.... http://www.planetary.org/blogs/jason-davis/2016/20160901-falcon9-pad-explosion.html ... ):

"Amos-6 was owned by the Israeli company Spacecom, and slated to be positioned over Africa.One of the satellite's users was Facebook, which is attempting to bring broadband services to remote regions of Sub-Saharan Africa."

Attached is the feed of the explosion, watch it on live speed a few times. Then watch it again, starting and stopping at 1:10-1:11 marks, in the upper right corner by the logo you will see an object come into frame, pass behind the large towers between the camera and the rocket and seemingly collide with the payload stage of the rocket.

My first thought was it was just a bird or insect, and it still might very well be that, but if you watch closely you'll see the object goes behind the two large towers rather than in front of it. This gives us the position, whatever it is, it's not right in front of the camera, it's much closer to the rocket which makes the speeds it's traveling incredibly fast. Additionally there's a bug or bird that flies before the camera around the 1:09 mark and you can see a difference between that and what happens at 1:11.

To me, this object looks an awful lot like a projectile fired from a ship or sub. The official response has been the explosion occurred during the propellant fill operation and originated near the upper stage oxygen tank, cause remains unknown at last check.

See for yourself.

(Edit: The video was cued up to start right at 1:09 but for some reason it's not doing that. Feel free to skip to that point -- no need to watch all 5 minutes of this)

The camera is a good distance away, at least a mile based on how long it takes to hear the explosion, the object could very well be an insect of a bird (I'm not going to make a definitive claim based on one video) but it sure looks like metallic object on a direct course for impact... Could it be that rocket wasn't really just carrying a harmless payload and someone fired on it?

This is a really interesting development -- it blends all my favorite things: space, private space companies, possible geopolitical intrigue, and a bit of a cover-up.

Edited by Deranged Rhino

Are you saying it dropped something onto it? Because it looks almost like a bird flying above it, not quite low enough for a direct hit.

"The Israeli made Amos-6 communications satellite was, according to Tech Crunch, carrying technology to allow Zuckerberg's firm to spot beam wireless internet directly to smartphones in sub-Saharan Africa."

This sounds too useful to just be for private (civilian use). Then again what do I know.

edit: is the camera sped up? because it looks to be moving really fast too.

Edited by What a Tuel

You did notice the explosion before the so called projectile is near the rocket right?

No I didn't and still don't see that, the projectile hits the rocket and then it explodes. There are fragments shooting off moments before the full detonation, which to me is another sign of an impact rather than an internal malfunction in the propellant line.

Are you saying it dropped something onto it? Because it looks almost like a bird flying above it, not quite low enough for a direct hit.

"The Israeli made Amos-6 communications satellite was, according to Tech Crunch, carrying technology to allow Zuckerberg's firm to spot beam wireless internet directly to smartphones in sub-Saharan Africa."

This sounds too useful to just be for private (civilian use). Then again what do I know.

edit: is the camera sped up? because it looks to be moving really fast too.

The camera isn't sped up, that's the actual undoctored feed. There are several other videos out there that have it slowed down and "enhanced" (claiming it was a UFO or drone -- which I don't see, like I said in my OP, it's either a bird/bug or a projectile to me). It looks like there are fragments that break off as I pointed out to Chef above, that could be part of the confusion.

...Or it's just a bug and the rest is the chaos of the explosion.

You did notice the explosion before the so called projectile is near the rocket right?

http://www.express.co.uk/news/weird/706639/Did-UFO-cause-Space-X-explosion-Shock-claims-of-anti-Facebook-alien-interference

lLxCoWM.jpg

No I didn't and still don't see that, the projectile hits the rocket and then it explodes. There are fragments shooting off moments before the full detonation, which to me is another sign of an impact rather than an internal malfunction in the propellant line.

The camera isn't sped up, that's the actual undoctored feed. There are several other videos out there that have it slowed down and "enhanced" (claiming it was a UFO or drone -- which I don't see, like I said in my OP, it's either a bird/bug or a projectile to me). It looks like there are fragments that break off as I pointed out to Chef above, that could be part of the confusion.

...Or it's just a bug and the rest is the chaos of the explosion.

I'd write it off as a bird or a bug if it wasn't moving so damn fast.

If you slow youtube video speed down to .25x you can see it much clearer through its progression across the screen.

Edited by What a Tuel

:lol: I expected Dev to drop the Giorgio meme first. :beer:

Here's why the UFO phenomenon is great business for the government. Anything that looks suspicious they can pass off as being a "UFO" to the believers, they'll take that ball and run with it which suddenly confuses the whole subject and most people tune it out without doing any critical thinking about the matter on their own. Disinformation is a great tool.

To me this doesn't look like a UFO event. It looks like a projectile fired from one of our own delivery systems.

Also, for those thinking it's a bird (which again, it may be), after the explosion there are plenty of birds by the rocket that get stirred up. They look entirely different, move way slower, and aren't metallic.

Edited by Deranged Rhino

:lol: I expected Dev to drop the Giorgio meme first. :beer:

Here's why the UFO phenomenon is great business for the government. Anything that looks suspicious they can pass off as being a "UFO" to the believers, they'll take that ball and run with it which suddenly confuses the whole subject and most people tune it out without doing any critical thinking about the matter on their own. Disinformation is a great tool.

To me this doesn't look like a UFO event. It looks like a projectile fired from one of our own delivery systems.

Also, for those thinking it's a bird (which again, it may be), after the explosion there are plenty of birds by the rocket that get stirred up. They look entirely different, move way slower, and aren't metallic.

No, no, no, no, no. It's a bird in the foreground.

No, no, no, no, no. It's a bird in the foreground.

It might be. But like I said I don't think it's in the foreground at all. It goes behind the towers, which are clearly between the rocket and the camera. And unlike the birds that show up later, it moves 10x faster and looks entirely different.

It's more likely to be a bug in the foreground -- I can't say that's not possible based off the video, but it sure looks like something else.

If it's in the foreground, then wouldn't it move faster across the screen than if it was in the background?

It would. At 1:09 there's a bird/bug in the foreground that flits across screen. It's different that the one that comes in at the 1:11 mark.

But again, I don't want to drill down on saying it's 100% not a bird/bug in the foreground. It very well could be. It just looks awfully hinky.

I noticed another of those projectiles fly by around the 2:51 mark.

There's also one that flys fast and low at 1:09 before the explosion.

Chalking it up to tricks on perception with a camera zoomed in a few miles away. The timing on that one is just so crazy though.

On another note I already see people claiming this is proof 9/11 was an inside job, because the tower survived lol.

Edited by What a Tuel

There's also one that flys fast and low at 1:09 before the explosion.

Chalking it up to tricks on perception with a camera zoomed in a few miles away. The timing on that one is just so crazy though.

On another note I already see people claiming this is proof 9/11 was an inside job, because the tower survived lol.

Yup; I saw several "melt steel" references online yesterday. :doh: