SBNation:Buffalo's 3 Black QBs battling themselves & history

YoloinOhio

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What's the point of this article?

We had 2 black QBs in 2013 (EJ and Thad)

We had 3 black QBs last year (EJ, Tyrod, and Josh Johnson)

We have 3 black QBs now.

Oh, and just for good measure, the Bills made James Harris the first black player ever to start a season at QB back in 1969.

I wonder if any team in recent memory had three white starting wide receivers.

NE does right now (Edelman/Amendola/Hogan).

Buffalo has never had an issue of black QBs - James Harris was drafted by Buffalo and was just 2nd black QB of the modern era.

There is a difference between people who have chosen to live in communities which they are comfortable in to being excluded from areas which they wish to live in.

I doubt there are many communities which Bills players and staff are being excluded from.

I am sure the list of Buffalo Bills players is on a list of prefered clients for many real estate / renting agencies; I have a relative who has rented a few houses to players.

I came from one of the white suburbs (Blasdell in Steelton area) but there were occasional Black families there and there was no issue with either buying or renting there.

One of my best friends was mixed Black and Mexican.

I also lived in one of the black city areas and had no issues with any of my neighbors although a few were surprised I choose to live in area (I was poor).

There is a difference in what article being linked to is talking about which is usual issue - subsidized low income housing which no community wants more added to especially if those who will use it come from outside the area. The article should have concentrated on Buffalo since the taxes from city of Buffalo and Erie County towns are different. Also many of the outer suburbs were populated after the race riots so this is not segregation but separation. If Buffalo was decertified as a city and had its functions taken over by country then issue would be different.

From the article.

"Buffalo might be the most racist city in the North," Rashad Brown, a 38-year-old Bills fan said. "Certain people can’t adapt to having someone of color in control. And when they do excel, they have to be three to four times better. The NFL is like this. They don’t have the same culture as the NBA. This isn’t a black league. The whole feel here is different."

I think it is reckless journalism to even publish a quote like this. I mean...how did the author even elicit this quote? He had to have an agenda to want this type of nonsense published. Idiotic.

From the article.

"Buffalo might be the most racist city in the North," Rashad Brown, a 38-year-old Bills fan said. "Certain people can’t adapt to having someone of color in control. And when they do excel, they have to be three to four times better. The NFL is like this. They don’t have the same culture as the NBA. This isn’t a black league. The whole feel here is different."

I think it is reckless journalism to even publish a quote like this. I mean...how did the author even elicit this quote? He had to have an agenda to want this type of nonsense published. Idiotic.

The entire article is agenda driven. It's pretty clear to see.

Not entirely sure what they mean by "pattern of segregation," but Buffalo and its suburbs have historically been among the top most segregated areas in the US. This has changed recently, though.

Believe by last measure it was the 6th most segregated, measuring black-white segregation among large cities. It hasn't changed, which I guess you conflate with the "resurgence" myth of a new Buffalo.

Its ridiculous that this data is collected and analyzed in 2016

Why, you don't like the truth, the tough topics, reality?

"But the trio has converged in Buffalo, of all places," What did we do to this guy? :lol:

And we have a segregation issue? I think people conflate poor with race too much.

Yes we do. The reason for a conflation between poverty and race is because minorities are disproportionately poor in America, with the black population being the most impacted.

If you think racism and discrimination is gone in this country, you must have your head in the sand. I am not saying or believe that on the individual level that people can't overcome it, but am saying on the macro level that systematic racism and discrimination are alive and well. The only difference between the 50s and today is that in the 50s, it was acceptable to be overtly racist and discriminatory. Today it's not acceptable nor legal so it's more hidden, which means many assume it's gone, making for the convenient argument that its been eradicated. Worse off, the ones saying it is gone are whites, those who have no experience with it, thereby giving them no credibility to suggest otherwise. Can't think of a black celebrity or athlete who has publicly suggested racism has been eradicated.

This isn't the place to even have this conversation obviously. It ruins my distraction from work and reality. But when people question the validity of empirical evidence, it's something that needs to be responded to.

Believe by last measure it was the 6th most segregated, measuring black-white segregation among large cities. It hasn't changed, which I guess you conflate with the "resurgence" myth of a new Buffalo.

Chill, brah. I see you have an axe to grind but it ain't with me. I don't live in Buffalo so, like you, I'm getting my info secondhand.

From the article.

FWIW, I saw this statistic earlier this year:

48562377.cached.jpg

"But the trio has converged in Buffalo, of all places," What did we do to this guy? :lol:

And we have a segregation issue? I think people conflate poor with race too much.

Buffalo is one of the more racist places you'll find. I regularly have other white folk casually say unbelievably racist **** to me like its no big deal since we're on the "same team". Stuff I would never hear in my 10 years in Georgia. Huge KKK hotbed here too, especially out towards Elma.

Not entirely sure what they mean by "pattern of segregation," but Buffalo and its suburbs have historically been among the top most segregated areas in the US. This has changed recently, though.

Not that much, though.

WTF? I'm glow-in-the-dark white, and some of my friends are white too. :ph34r: I have zero "problem" with having three "black" QBs on The Bills. I wouldn't care if the entire team and coaching staff were "black". I'd still root for them. The only "colors" I see when I watch them are Blue, White, and Red. edit: I see even more red when the refs hose us, and when I read a bunch of garbage like the posted articles above. Good Lord. Get a life.

Edited by Nanker

I will say this. There is racism and segregation in Buffalo; but definitely not any worse than any American major city. The author was pushing for Buffalo to sound like a KKK wonderland. That was a bit irritating.

Bills fans are idiots. But they love good Bills players of any color. They also for the most part love Tyrod. That anonymous Bills employee quote was bull ****. They also love Cardale. EJ....well..

The racism about "thugs" came out when SJ13 was here. But even the loud mouth goofball was loved by a large portion of Buffalo. I think the article is BS.

Edited by Billschinatown

From the article.

You can think what you want, but it's a pretty popular sentiment by a lot of people based on their experiences. You dont have to pry too hard to get someone to admit it.

Edited by DrDareustein

I will say this. There is racism and segregation in Buffalo; but definitely not any worse than any American major city. The author was pushing for Buffalo to sound like a KKK wonderland. That was a bit irritating.

Bills fans are idiots. But they love good Bills players of any color. They also for the most part love Tyrod. That anonymous Bills employee quote was bull ****. They also love Cardale. EJ....well..

Bills' fans want to win. Period.