R. I. P. Gene Wilder

26CornerBlitz

Ah, sad. I always liked Gene Wilder. Rest in peace.

EDIT: Everybody is quick to mention Willy Wonka and the Mel Brooks movies (Young Frankenstein stands out), but the stuff he did with Richard Pryor was great.

Edited by Cugalabanza

RIP, Mr. Wilder. You were one of the best comedic actors of my lifetime.

Little known fact: Wilder said he had to beg Mel Brooks to keep the "Man About Town" scene in "Young Frankenstein."

Which for me personally was a mistake. It just didn't fit.

Was there a scene like that in Son of Frankenstein which Young Frankenstein was a spoof of.

Ah, sad. I always liked Gene Wilder. Rest in peace.

EDIT: Everybody is quick to mention Willy Wonka and the Mel Brooks movies (Young Frankenstein stands out), but the stuff he did with Richard Pryor was great.

Yeah, Stir Crazy was awesome. They worked well together.

RIP Gene

Edited by ChevyVanMiller

Trivia: He wasn't even supposed to do Blazing Saddles, but the original actor (Gig Young) broke down with DTs during the first day of filming. Mel Brooks then called Wilder that afternoon and Wilder (two hours later, with no luggage) took the last flight of the day from NY to LA and was in front of the camera in Hollywood at 8:00 a.m. the next day.

Trivia: He wasn't even supposed to do Blazing Saddles, but the original actor (Gig Young) broke down with DTs during the first day of filming. Mel Brooks then called Wilder that afternoon and Wilder (two hours later, with no luggage) took the last flight of the day from NY to LA and was in front of the camera in Hollywood at 8:00 a.m. the next day.

There's a great documentary with Mel on Netflix (I think) where he talks about it that. It's fricken hilarious. Well not that Gig was going through alcohol withdrawal but Mel's telling of the story is.

I think it fit, not for the sake of staying true as a parody, but because Peter Boyle just owned the scene completely, and Wilder went over the top with him.

He puts the world's leading scientists together in a theater, and the crowd oohs and ahhs as the monster takes steps forward. Then Wilder holds up his and and dramatically yells "Now....BACKWARDS!" And the crowd is amazed and applauding.

He goes from walking forward and backwards in a hospital gown to tuxedos, top hat, canes, tap dancing, singing Sooper Doooper...just brilliant comedy.

Was there a scene like that in Son of Frankenstein which Young Frankenstein was a spoof of.

No that was a spoof of King Kong.

RIP to a legendary actor