Kaepernick and the National Anthem

Jefferson wrote the preamble. Pretty much all of the declaration. Adams made a few corrections but not to the preamble.

https://constitutioncenter.org/blog/why-did-jefferson-draft-the-declaration-of-independence

Correct. I slipped on that. Adams did however write the first preamble - on May 19th and that was focused on PA and MD who were governed more tightly by the Crown.

Regardless, the Pursuit of Happiness is not codified in the Constitution. It's an ethos expressed in the Preamble of the Declaration of Independence.

Jefferson's original draft listed the institution of slavery as a grievance against the crown.

It did indeed.

Yep. I recently did a ton of research on it. All of the big guns wanted to abolish slavery in the Declaration. But they eventually decided they couldn't get the southern colonies to agree to it so they took out that request. Which made it harder to understand why Jefferson and Washington kept owning slaves for years after. Jefferson especially was a really interesting but complex and strange guy.

Face it. Slavery was the mindset of that era. It's horrible, but slaves were chattel - just like women. They were considered possessions and the cheapest labor available. That's an ugly reality. And if the internal combustion engine were invented in the 1600's there would likely be very few African Americans living in the US today. And watching the NFL would then be like watching College LAX or Alabama football pre-1971.

Edited by Nanker

As tribute to the 95% grinders in the game, I can't imagine the pain equity they have given to get that nice paycheck from suiting up for an NFL game. The pain would be at least 1,000 times what I could dream of even after a few years of varsity hoops personally.

For the weirdo or team clown or narcissistic team jagoff to go Mr. Politics all of a sudden and demand everyone else do something that is going to tick off almost every decent fan of the game would be beyond the limits of demand.

Putting that golden and hard-earned paycheck in jeopardy for Mr. Politics' ego is too much.

Their mother's mortgage is going into default because of this????

IF THIS is legit. I'm reading it on the internet, so who know?

It was posted from the Denver Broncos twitter account.

Meanwhile, Packers and Bears players stand together during anthem last night.

But hey...you keep thinking it's all just one big mirage to shift the narrative away from a bad football player who thinks cops are pigs.

Protesting by kneeling during the anthem is a losing gig, and the NFL knows it. They did their thing and came to find out a large majority of football fans despise the protest, and in the end, free market trumps social justice warrior idiocy.

If the NFL wants to become a platform for Social Justice Warriors, they've received my last dollar. I won't support that sort of idiocy.

I'm heading into the first weekend in my 51 years where I won't watch a second of NCAA or NFL football, instead of 10 hours easily.

If the NFL wants to become a platform for Social Justice Warriors, they've received my last dollar. I won't support that sort of idiocy.

I, for one, am looking forward to see what sort of social justice platform is created by the same people that can't successfully define "catch."

Writing at the site of Center of the American Experiment, John Hinderaker quotes my friend and former colleague Teresa Collett of the University of St. Thomas School of Law in Minneapolis. As is her wont, Professor Collett is trying to do some teaching in a teachable moment. She explains:

I don’t watch football. I don’t care about football. But I do care about constitutional literacy. Please stop saying football players have first amendment rights to disregard the direction of their private employers while engaged in privately sponsored activities — which is what NFL football games are. They have no more constitutional protection for their expressive activities than I do for mine at my private Catholic university. Any “rights” they have are based on their contracts and employment law.

On the one hand, we have Professor Collett teaching something true about the scope of our Fist Amendment speech rights. On the other hand, we have Star Tribune sportswriter Michael Rand triumphantly declaiming:

A gameday manual can say what it wants. So can a president, for that matter. At the end of the day, we’re still back to the First Amendment — the trump card, so to speak — which carries just a little more sway than a logistical document or a tweet.

“Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.”

Free speech leads to uncomfortable conversations — ones that Rodgers, correctly, says we need to be having. Debating whether a league rule means players shouldn’t be able to start that conversation probably means you don’t want to have that conversation.

Enough false flags. The real one is too important.

The First Amendment protects Michael Rand’s right to display his ignorance and make a fool of himself in the pages of the Star Tribune. One might learn that Rand therefore needs someone to protect him from himself. (Editors?) Or one might learn you can’t believe everything you read in the Star Tribune.