NFL NETWORK REPORTS...DREW A COWBOY

Rudyc80

It's even funnier that the Cowboys have apparently signed Drew to a contract when the Bills haven't officially released him.

So when do we get our compensatory picks from the Cowboys for tampering? I'd think this is worth the first-rounder we gave them for JP. <_<

How come Ed Werder knows Drew was officially released but neither ESPN's transactions wire nor bb.com is saying this?

249198[/snapback]

The bb.com site is notoriously slow with updates. I'd think that the ESPN wire would have it though...

CW

This couldn't be more perfect.

Tuna and the Bleeder back together again.

Don't we play the NFC Least next year?

I'm looking forward to his dazed glaze looking out his left earhole in the 4th quarter.

I wonder how long he'll last picking the wrong endzone for Big Bill.

:I starred in Brokeback Mountain: Parcells. :I starred in Brokeback Mountain: :I starred in Brokeback Mountain: Jerry Jones and :I starred in Brokeback Mountain: :I starred in Brokeback Mountain: :I starred in Brokeback Mountain: :I starred in Brokeback Mountain: Drew Cowboy

I hate the fuggin' Cowboys.

Except for the fact that the book didn't work for teams this year once we put a back in there who could chip the blitzer.  As soon as WM got in the game, teams stopped blitzing on every down.

With WM as a starter, Bledsoe was sacked just as (in)frequently as Brady.

I hope Bledsoe does well, although maybe not too well or we'll look like idiots (especially if the Cowboys go 10-6 and we go 6-10.... <_<  ).

CW

249145[/snapback]

My sense is that chip blocksand blitz pick-up were fsirly minor factors in the reduction of sacks. WM was a big factor, but it was the greatrer run threat he presented which stopped defemses from flst out commitimg to the rush which was the big benefit WM brought to pass protection rather than his great skill at chip blocking.

I think it is fairly inaccurate to list factors in some static order of importance sd iy varied from play to play, but in general I would attribute greater import to the following factor than to the blitz pick-up.

1. The Bills became run happy rather than pass-happy- When the other team suspects you are going to pass alot which the Bills repetivitely did last year and seemed to be totally committed to doing on 3rd down (even third and short) and the blitz turnrd out to be an effective tool, teams blitzed alot. Kevin Killdrive and his scheme and tendencies became totally predictable. Under Clements the Bills are only predictable in that they are more likely to run having more confidence in WM running than Killdrive had in Henry. To make matters worse, Bledsoe was liberally allowed to audible and had too much confidence in his arm and switched plays which mat have been runs to passes that were less successful than more successful in 2003. Ny throwing in a trick play long pass here and there and with WM having a greater ability than Henry to get outside quicker and guven time to set up to use a devastating stiff arm, teams did not blitz as much but waited see how to best heas-off WM when he got the ball.

2. Clements realized that just because Bledsoe is not at his best on the move, this did not mean he was incapable of throwing on the move or even running- Its hard to remember Kevin Killdrive sending Bledsoe on the run at all. Though he is far more effective as a passer than a runner, this does not mean he shoulodn;t run at all. In fact, you have to use him as a runner on some occaisions or the D will be able tell almost immediately whatplay is happening and what to expect. Bledsoe rant the QB draw a few times and was never Michael Vick, but LNs learned they could not abandon their responsibility for the center of the field or the run on empty backfield plays, DTs had to exercise care that if they committed to a gap on the blitz that Bledsoe might run a quick opener up the other gap, Bledsoe liked best throwing from the pocket but once he hit Evans for a couple of TDs while rolling out they had to look outside as well. The plays did not always work but Bledsoe seemed under firm orders that if any coverage was there to throw the ball OB. This switch made for less blitzing and made the blitz less effective.

3, The pass pro improved a lot- Pacillo aand MW were often lost out there and by replacing him with Villarial things got better quick. Smith is not nearly the blocker Ruben was, but actually Smith is unusal in that it is his run locking where he lacks aggression (this particularly hurt in the redzone where you have to run effectively and authoritatively and there is less room to pass. Yje guard play on pass pro with Villarial/Smith replacing Pacillo/Brown was much improved. Add to that overall Vinly/Ruel has next to know experience as OL coaches and JMac is well into the double digits and the blocking simply was better up front.

As best as I could tell, WM looked like a rookie out there with his initial blitz pick-up efforts. TH looked pretty bad at just about everything this year as he knew he was going to lose his job obviously did not feel appreciated and his running and blitz pick-up declined from the last two years where once he got over the rookie confusion is was not a central problem for him.

I'm niot sure where this overwhelming interest some have in blitz pick-up issues. It eas a minor one as far as the pass pro game from what I sae/