KFC Secret Recipe?

It's not just the herbs, but the cooking method. That is the bigger secret.

They mention in the article that it's cooked until it starts to brown, then they close the pressure cooker and set it to 12 pounds of pressure for 10 minutes. I've looked around for a pressure fryer, and nothing designed for the home that I've seen is either practical or safe-looking. Sanders apparently invented the pressure fryer by modifying a normal pressure cooker - something I dare not attempt myself. That has "house fire" written all over it.

They mention in the article that it's cooked until it starts to brown, then they close the pressure cooker and set it to 12 pounds of pressure for 10 minutes. I've looked around for a pressure fryer, and nothing designed for the home that I've seen is either practical or safe-looking. Sanders apparently invented the pressure fryer by modifying a normal pressure cooker - something I dare not attempt myself. That has "house fire" written all over it.

He is describing broasted chicken, you can find it around southern ontario (several in Ft Erie) That, combined with the Colonels spices is KFC

chicken .... :D

I worked at one for over 3 years, its pressure cooked in a large cooker (oil is heated while breading the chicken, then dropped intot the cooker and the lid closed) for about 15 minutes (for about 54 pieces at a time)

Vegetable shortening is used and is heated at about 350-375 IIRC (this was over 12 years ago since I last did it)

The flower comes pre mixed with all the herbs and spices. The chicken would come in a couple times a week raw from the poultry farm and then marinated (using a KFC powdered marinated that was mixed with water) in a rotating drum for about 10-20 minutes, then put back in a walk in cooler until ready to cook.

Cooking process is nothing really special, its the mixture in the breading that makes it what it is......

He is describing broasted chicken, you can find it around southern ontario (several in Ft Erie) That, combined with the Colonels spices is KFC

The last time I had broasted chicken was in a bar in Falls Church, VA (or somewhere very near there). Way back in the late 70's or early 80's. Much better than KFC, from what I recall.

Any terrorists living near you? They're pretty handy with a pressure cooker.

:lol:

This is the first time I've ever heard the term "broasted" - it sounds like something frat boys do.

chicken .... :D

This is the first time I've ever heard the term "broasted" - it sounds like something frat boys do.

It's a midwest thing, where it was invented and then spread.

http://www.westword.com/restaurants/roasted-for-broasted-we-get-fried-for-the-wrong-use-of-a-term-6048209

"For the record, broasting is basically deep-frying under pressure -- and in a Broaster."

I heard of it prior to coming out here, but noticed the term is used more generically out here.

It was invented same time The Colonel was starting to build his Kentucky Fried franchises... 1954.

So they use an officially licensed broaster. I always wondered why you see that name on certain establishments, etc. . And not others.

Bone-In Broasted®

Notice the little ®... I guess it has a better appeal than "fried."