The Ringer, long-form: The Curious Decline of the Bills Def

johnwalter

The bills, for over a decade, have been a defense first team. We've had some solid units from time to time, while the offense sputtered. So it should come as no surprise that when we finally solve the offensive side of the ball that the defense crumbles. It couldn't be any other way.

And I can confidently say this in August: it doesn't matter who is qb'ing for the pats. Bill is going to run that ball down our defenses throat with guys who are currently UPS drivers.

What the hell is "The Ringer" and why should I care?

Bill Simmons new site, part of his gig with HBO. Mays is a good writer, and i think if you look objectively at the Bills D this is a good read. I tend to think they will be better than last year, but i get why others may not think so.

Yeah, that defense looked really bad in preseason. <_<

cmon, you betting on this D cause of two preseaon games?really?

Bill Simmons new site, part of his gig with HBO. Mays is a good writer, and i think if you look objectively at the Bills D this is a good read. I tend to think they will be better than last year, but i get why others may not think so.

Their improved communication and ability for everyone to be on the same page will take them a lot farther than most people think

It's a logical article. I still hesitate to give as much credit to the 2014 defense as many do, but there's no question Rex's arrival led to a significant decline. There are lots of predictions out there that the defense will still struggle; it's up to Rex to prove he can coach with what he's got.

It's a logical article. I still hesitate to give as much credit to the 2014 defense as many do, but there's no question Rex's arrival led to a significant decline. There are lots of predictions out there that the defense will still struggle; it's up to Rex to prove he can coach with what he's got.

on paper, every reason to believe this D should not be near as good as 2014, maybe not even as good as last year. But i think we will still see a vast improvement from last year, i just hope some of these old timers at LB can hold up...ole Ethan Albright scares the bejeebers out of me( i know his first name not ethan..thats all i can think of when i hear his name)

The offense, quarterbacked by a career backup and entering the season with a slew of question marks, finished 10th in DVOA and dragged Buffalo to respectability. The vaunted defense proved to be a leaky mess, especially relative to expectations. The Bills were 24th in the league in DVOA, a tumble of 22 spots from the season before.

Guess nobody told Mays about heat maps?

:ph34r:

Edited by Jon in Pasadena

The performance of Zach Brown will mean a lot to the defense. I was really excited for Ragland.

I liked the article. Are the writers Bills fans?

I don't think so. Mays wrote fro Grantland as well, so he followed Simmons over. He and Barnwell were very good at Grantland...just think Barnwell's contract with ESPN is preventing him from joining Simmons here.

BTW, Simmons show on HBO has been really good.." Any Given Wednesday" ..

Just saying they look good. You know for a fact if they looked bad, folks would be freaking out, preseason or not.

Edited by PromoTheRobot