Foul ball hits young fan, player criticizes team

Beerball

No incorrect opinions in this thread. Yes, you need to pay attention in high risk areas of the ballpark. Yes you need to consider the risk of sitting there with a young child or senior.

However, expecting thousands of people to be at the ready every pitch and have both the eye sight, the reflexes and the strength to defend themselves against a 100 mph foul ball or hockey puck is beyond ludicrous. The stands aren't full of athletes with gloves -- they are full of ordinary people. There isn't any question the netting should be extended at baseball parks just as it was at hockey arenas. For the NHL it took a little girl's death to finally get it changed. Maybe baseball will get their act together before that happens in a MLB park.

And a huge thumbs up to Freddy Galvis for putting this issue in the public eye.

No incorrect opinions in this thread. Yes, you need to pay attention in high risk areas of the ballpark. Yes you need to consider the risk of sitting there with a young child or senior.

However, expecting thousands of people to be at the ready every pitch and have both the eye sight, the reflexes and the strength to defend themselves against a 100 mph foul ball or hockey puck is beyond ludicrous. The stands aren't full of athletes with gloves -- they are full of ordinary people. There isn't any question the netting should be extended at baseball parks just as it was at hockey arenas. For the NHL it took a little girl's death to finally get it changed. Maybe baseball will get their act together before that happens in a MLB park.

This!!!!!!

times 2. I thought MLB made this mandatory this year. I know the MiLB team here in Cbus extended the netting down to the end of the dugouts, but that was a drop in the bucket compared to where the majority wind up.

Freddy has to feel bad. I hope he can do something for her. Probably advised not to by lawyers? What a sucky world.

I saw a special on this. In Japan, they have like a near 0% rate of people getting hit and injured by a ball.

It is amazing, but what they do is this:

1) extend the net much further.

2) have ushers who have whistles and track all foul balls. As soon as a ball is hit towards one, they blow the whistle. They also immediately check where the ball lands.

3) the "high risk" seats where there is no netting and along the base lines-- you have to buy special tickets for those. Plus you are given a glove and hard hat to sit in them.

I saw a special on this. In Japan, they have like a near 0% rate of people getting hit and injured by a ball.

2) have ushers who have whistles and track all foul balls. As soon as a ball is hit towards one, they blow the whistle. They also immediately check where the ball lands.

3) the "high risk" seats where there is no netting and along the base lines-- you have to buy special tickets for those. Plus you are given a glove and hard hat to sit in them.

Those damn Japanese got ruin everything... Now I can't get your avatar outta my mind!

"Wax on! Wax off!"

:nana:

Yeah, but baseballs alot different in Japan:

post-25038-0-56759300-1471954527_thumb.jpg

We went to a Rockies game last week. Out tickets were down first baseline in the fourth row, which is prime line drive foul ball territory. We sit in these seats four or five times a season and without fail at every single game at least one comes screaming into our section within five or six rows of us.
Last week was no different. Charlie Blackman rips a foul ball in our section two rows back. The seating arrangement in the row behind us was aisle, small child, small child, small child standing on seat, dad and then mom. Basically he put his kids in direct line of fire while he was sitting "behind" them.

Foul ball is hit, dad dives across all three kids in a human shield attempt knocking drinks, snacks, kids, etc in all directions. No one hurt. Game resumes. You might think the dad would realize the seriousness of the seating arrangement and put HIMSELF between the batter and the kids? You would be wrong ladies and gentlemen. I suggested a new seating system to him and his reply was that his kids wouldn't be able to see the game like that. :doh:

well said