Seantrel Henderson Talks About Battle with Crohn's Disease

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For fear of reading something so stupid that it would cause me to die, I skipped all comments before writing this.

My sister has been battling this disease for about 25 years. She's 47. Two days ago, she underwent a surgery to remove a significant portion of her digestive tract. She's been in pain, daily, for at least the last decade - mostly her butt - and now she will have a colostomy bag, since she now has no anus. She is an education professional and has been unable to engage in any social activity with her colleagues for her entire career. She's looking forward to living pain free and the risk of cancer has also been significantly reduced due to her surgery.

This disease is no joke.

Terrible story, Gungy. And very similar to one of the people I know, who suffers from this disease.

I think we both know what's been in the media

It is possible for someone to go from first symptoms ever to requiring emergency surgery in a couple of months, but what is more common is someone is actually suffering symptoms for years, they just aren't recognized until they turn severe.

Indeed. But we have some people here who scoff at that idea, apparently.

I think we both know what's been in the media

It is possible for someone to go from first symptoms ever to requiring emergency surgery in a couple of months, but what is more common is someone is actually suffering symptoms for years, they just aren't recognized until they turn severe.

agreed....

though portraying this as ONLY self medicating the best the guy knows how is also making some assumptions about him too.

I think we would both agree that theres probably a good bit of middle ground here and theres a good chance that not every time hes lit up for the last 6 years has been medically required. theres a good chance hes a guy that does it recreationally and found "hey, that helps when im not feeling good too!"

thats not trying to pass judgement, just a bit of playing the odds.

For fear of reading something so stupid that it would cause me to die, I skipped all comments before writing this.

My sister has been battling this disease for about 25 years. She's 47. Two days ago, she underwent a surgery to remove a significant portion of her digestive tract. She's been in pain, daily, for at least the last decade - mostly her butt - and now she will have a colostomy bag, since she now has no anus. She is an education professional and has been unable to engage in any social activity with her colleagues for her entire career. She's looking forward to living pain free and the risk of cancer has also been significantly reduced due to her surgery.

This disease is no joke.

I hope everything works out well for your sister. When you see people who live with constant pain that puts things in proper perspective for the rest of us. .

As a longtime sufferer of Crohn's, how can I not root for him?

Terrible story, Gungy. And very similar to one of the people I know, who suffers from this disease.

Indeed. But we have some people here who scoff at that idea, apparently.

I had it for 15 years before it was correctly diagnosed. Often heard I was a hypochondriac.

Thanks to all for the kind words with regard to my sister.

I read through the comments.

Obviously, the legality of marijuana is an entirely different subject.

I see that some, here, are not understanding the kind/level of pain this disease can cause. My sister has been near death, unable to walk, at least a dozen times over the past 20 years. She was on vacation on Cape Cod two weeks ago when she called my mother asking if she had a walker she could use when she got home. Imagine your child asking you that question. This was exactly when I had a long discussion with my sister that helped lead her to the decision to have this surgery.

I've never felt pain anywhere near the pain she has felt, and I'm not arrogant or stupid enough to speak to what is/is not an acceptable or effective method of pain control.

Back on topic, I hope Henderson is able to keep his pain under control and is able to have a successful NFL career.

I see that some, here, are not understanding the kind/level of pain this disease can cause. My sister has been near death, unable to walk, at least a dozen times over the past 20 years. She was on vacation on Cape Cod two weeks ago when she called my mother asking if she had a walker she could use when she got home. Imagine your child asking you that question. This was exactly when I had a long discussion with my sister that helped lead her to the decision to have this surgery.

I've never felt pain anywhere near the pain she has felt, and I'm not arrogant or stupid enough to speak to what is/is not an acceptable or effective method of pain control.

Back on topic, I hope Henderson is able to keep his pain under control and is able to have a successful NFL career.

Thanks for sharing Gug!! It sounds like a brutal disease. I wish your sister nothing but the best.

my 26 year old neice just had a section of her intestines removed last week. I honestly never knew how serious this disease is.

This disease is no joke.

agreed....

though portraying this as ONLY self medicating the best the guy knows how is also making some assumptions about him too.

I think we would both agree that theres probably a good bit of middle ground here and theres a good chance that not every time hes lit up for the last 6 years has been medically required. theres a good chance hes a guy that does it recreationally and found "hey, that helps when im not feeling good too!"

thats not trying to pass judgement, just a bit of playing the odds.

Exactly. We don't KNOW s#it---we can only speculate. And, even if some of his previous use was strictly recreational, that doesn't preclude the possibility his current use (if indeed he has been using it recently) might be for strictly medicinal purposes.

The situation is likely very complex. Binary thinkers (black/white) have trouble with issues like this, I know.

Exactly. We don't KNOW s#it---we can only speculate. And, even if some of his previous use was strictly recreational, that doesn't preclude the possibility his current use (if indeed he has been using it recently) might be for strictly medicinal purposes.

The situation is likely very complex. Binary thinkers (black/white) have trouble with issues like this, I know.

There is also a possibility that aliens came to Fixboro stadium and used mind control to force Br*dy's ball ball to take balls for a ride to bathroom telling him he needed to sit on eggs to help them hatch.

I can accept that the MJ (or spice) that Big Stuff was using was covering up issue he had already but I think it is more likely that aliens theory is true than it was strictly for medicinal purposes.

my 26 year old neice just had a section of her intestines removed last week. I honestly never knew how serious this disease is.

All the best to your family members.

This disease is no joke.

I'm sorry your sister is going through this, and I hope her recovery from surgery is smooth!